[0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Post Reply

Which weapons options, Do you Prefer to have in your Armor ?

Personal SHOTGUN PROXIMITY Shield.
2
12%
Personal CHAIN GUN AMMO Turrets {LARGE Slots [1x3][+ammo]}.
7
41%
MineLayer Droppings Turn ON/OFF when retreating increasing Area effect [3x3] research or add Dynamite or Cliff for advanced mines.
3
18%
Final Grenade research is a Grenade Launcher [ON/OFF]
5
29%
 
Total votes: 17

b_d
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:49 pm
Contact:

[0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by b_d » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:32 am

:mrgreen: :arrow:
  1. L-shaped Slots for the Suit that can be Rotated?
  2. Ammo placed inside the Suit
  3. Little energy Used that Solar Panels enough without reactor
  4. Shotgun activates when enemies are closer inside the firing arc
Making Other Weapons relevant to use.

Mine Layer when retreating. gapped :!:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4977
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Koub » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:52 am

[Koub] Moved to General discussion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

b_d
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:49 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH Suggestion for Additional BASE WEAPONS

Post by b_d » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:48 pm

:?: Is Suggestion of wanting Better weapons Considered a MOD ? and NOT a Request to place in the BASIC weapons set

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Rjskeet » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:39 am

Would love to see atleast the personal chaingun as a parallel to the personal defense lasers maybe even a prereq for it.
The personal minlayer is interesting however you could just use the personal roboport for that.
Anyhow I do believe powersuits need alittle updating like fusion reactors should be changed over to nuclear, your personal turrent idea is a great suggestion for modular armor.

T-A-R
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by T-A-R » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:24 am

Automating throwing grenades and automated shotguns feels rather dangerous, I'd imagine multiplayer, or where one passes your defences. Autotrigger on machine gun could be useful, but I don't see the point why they need to be in the armour (taking up space), since you still want to see which weapon you have selected, so it's actually fine as it is when they add toggle auto fire (you could hide that button like toggle exoskeleton.

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Oktokolo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am

Make the fusion reactor perform a thermonucular explosion with atomic bomb radius and strength on player death.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Rjskeet » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 am

Oktokolo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am
Make the fusion reactor perform a thermonucular explosion with atomic bomb radius and strength on player death.
Omg yes, except if you got killed by a train in the middle of your base......

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1581
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by bobucles » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:45 am

Oktokolo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am
Make the fusion reactor perform a thermonucular explosion with atomic bomb radius and strength on player death.
Creating a nuclear blast is pretty hard, even in the middle of a nuclear reactor. It's not even a matter of the reactors being made that way, you really have to go out of your way to create the kind of chain reaction that a bomb needs. When a reactor blows up, it's some kind of coolant explosion. In a battle between high pressure steam and thick walls of concrete, the steam still wins.

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Oktokolo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Rjskeet wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 am
Oktokolo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am
Make the fusion reactor perform a thermonucular explosion with atomic bomb radius and strength on player death.
Omg yes, except if you got killed by a train in the middle of your base......
That is the point. Make each player death count and be a spectacular thing you will remember - whether it is happening in a biter base or your own (or your opponents in PvP).
bobucles wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:45 am
Creating a nuclear blast is pretty hard, even in the middle of a nuclear reactor. It's not even a matter of the reactors being made that way, you really have to go out of your way to create the kind of chain reaction that a bomb needs. When a reactor blows up, it's some kind of coolant explosion. In a battle between high pressure steam and thick walls of concrete, the steam still wins.
I know.
Real fusion reactors just couldn't do the thermonucular mushroom cloud at all.
But the vanilla Factorio tech tree is almost pure fantasy anyways. Fusion reactors can't for physical reasons ever be net-positive at human-size scale. But they are the most efficient small-scale energy source in the game - so they better be able to go boom in a spectacular way too...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4977
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Koub » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:54 am

Oktokolo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm
Fusion reactors can't for physical reasons ever be net-positive at human-size scale.
I'm sure your wisdom would be most useful to the people who inject nowadays billions into research and developpment for small scale fusion power generators :mrgreen: .
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Oktokolo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:45 am

Koub wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:54 am
Oktokolo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm
Fusion reactors can't for physical reasons ever be net-positive at human-size scale.
I'm sure your wisdom would be most useful to the people who inject nowadays billions into research and developpment for small scale fusion power generators :mrgreen: .
I am pretty sure, the people taking that billions know already - the investors obviously do not...

The main problem with small-scale fusion energy generation is that you have all that hightech around the actual plasma wich needs power too. Maintaining fusion in small scale reactors is possible and has been done - it just does not output more energy than has to go in.
That is the reason for fusion reactors getting bigger and bigger. The biggest will soon be Iter wich is expected to get into the net-positive region (still for science only - no electricity generation yet).

By the way: The Factorio fusion reactor really looks more like a radioisotope thermoelectric generator to me (and yes, they can't explode either but more boom is better).

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Rjskeet » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:45 am
Koub wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:54 am
Oktokolo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm
Fusion reactors can't for physical reasons ever be net-positive at human-size scale.
I'm sure your wisdom would be most useful to the people who inject nowadays billions into research and developpment for small scale fusion power generators :mrgreen: .
I am pretty sure, the people taking that billions know already - the investors obviously do not...

The main problem with small-scale fusion energy generation is that you have all that hightech around the actual plasma wich needs power too. Maintaining fusion in small scale reactors is possible and has been done - it just does not output more energy than has to go in.
That is the reason for fusion reactors getting bigger and bigger. The biggest will soon be Iter wich is expected to get into the net-positive region (still for science only - no electricity generation yet).

By the way: The Factorio fusion reactor really looks more like a radioisotope thermoelectric generator to me (and yes, they can't explode either but more boom is better).
On a quick side note to this, the other half of the fusion problem is the very high amount of neutrons that are released because of the tritium/deuterium fuel.

conn11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:02 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by conn11 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Rjskeet wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 pm
Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:45 am
Koub wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:54 am
Oktokolo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm
Fusion reactors can't for physical reasons ever be net-positive at human-size scale.
I'm sure your wisdom would be most useful to the people who inject nowadays billions into research and developpment for small scale fusion power generators :mrgreen: .
I am pretty sure, the people taking that billions know already - the investors obviously do not...

The main problem with small-scale fusion energy generation is that you have all that hightech around the actual plasma wich needs power too. Maintaining fusion in small scale reactors is possible and has been done - it just does not output more energy than has to go in.
That is the reason for fusion reactors getting bigger and bigger. The biggest will soon be Iter wich is expected to get into the net-positive region (still for science only - no electricity generation yet).

By the way: The Factorio fusion reactor really looks more like a radioisotope thermoelectric generator to me (and yes, they can't explode either but more boom is better).
On a quick side note to this, the other half of the fusion problem is the very high amount of neutrons that are released because of the tritium/deuterium fuel.
Of course only IF you use D/T-Fusion. Fusion with the He3 isotope and with or without Deuterium are neutron free.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Rjskeet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:56 am

Sadly, D/T fusion is the only kind they are willing to try because hydrogen does bad things in are atmosphere...

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:46 pm

In case you missed it :
Google Investigates Cold Fusion

conn11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:02 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by conn11 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:46 pm
In case you missed it :
Google Investigates Cold Fusion
Sadly all research performed on cold fusion is up until now less than underwhelming, to put it lightly.

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Oktokolo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:45 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:46 pm
In case you missed it :
Google Investigates Cold Fusion
Google is known for investigating every idea they happen to know about. Look at the list of axed services and don't forget that they once even owned Boston Dynamics - wich was and still is researching military robots...

Google (well, they humbly renamed themselve to "Alphabet") is making almost all of its money by delivering ads to browsers. That is a lucrative strategy as long as users don't use adblockers and customers don't start using alternative ad networks. They know that adblockers are on the rise and that society is slowly adapting to the presence of ads. So they desperately try to diversify their revenue sources. They deliberately also try things wich are commonly known to be impossible to pull off but would be absurdly profitable if they would work. They have shittons of money to burn and are desperate, so burning money is what they do.

So i am not surprised that they investigate cold fusion. It is just one of hundreds of things they are currently investigating...

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:57 pm

This was neither about successes in cold fusion nor Google... have you even RTFA ?

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users