Do trees have any gameplay effect?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Crusadem
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Do trees have any gameplay effect?

Post by Crusadem »

Hi there! have a quick question, something i haven't seen mentioned in the forums, was wondering if trees are able to soak up pollution or are somehow useful for anything besides wood. Thanks

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Do trees have any gameplay effect?

Post by jeroon »

They do soak up pollution, but at what rate i don't know.

Xyfi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xyfi »

I didn't know trees suck up pollution! Good to know. So in theory creating a base near a large forrest should attract less biters?

I do think woods should play a more important part in the game, or the devs should give us a mechanical way to soak up pollution.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

An empty tile soaks up 0.0005 pollution. [1]
A brown tree soaks up an additional 0.0001 pollution.
A healthy tree soaks up an additional 0.0005 pollution. [2]

But even dense forests have 3-4 tiles per tree, so you're looking at a max of about -30% pollution. More like -10% if only one edge of your base is forested.

[1] ageing=0.55 (map-settings.lua), divided by 1024 tiles per chunk
[2] emissions_per_tick = -0.0005 (demo-trees.lua)

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

In my last games, I was clearing any forest that was in the way of industrial progress (hurrr :D ), but with my current factory, I prefer building around them if possible. Besides having a gameplay impact (less pollution), the map and accordingly the factory setup looks a lot more interesting and "natural" that way. I have a pretty big complex right now with different assembly lines scattered between some forests (and connected by trains mostly), and it looks pretty nice! I can only advise you to work more with the map layout as soon as you got the basics covered. That is to say, I like setting the nest and ore frequency down and make the starting area bigger for more spread out factory design - I think trains and different outposts are a important factor in Factorio, and with standard settings I think you're forced to build pretty compact while resources are around everywhere.

@Dave: Thanks btw for the details; i was interested in some numbers regarding trees for a while now, but was too lazy to look it up :P

chainedlupine
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chainedlupine »

That, and it's easy to lose biters in the trees due to their fairly simple pathfinding. :)

It's really fun to mow trees down with piercing shotgun shells, though!

Return to “General discussion”