About the endgame - kinda frustrating today

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: About the endgame - kinda frustrating today

Post by kovarex »

DailyFrankPeter wrote:
MalcolmCooks wrote: where my factory exists for the sole purpose of existing, so I can make refinements, improve the way it functions, ect.
I keep saying that! Make that^ the endgame, but for that to work the devs would have to introduce some criteria by which one factory is better than another. Like in Simcity it was how much money a city makes or how much people it attracts. The keywords are "competition" and/or "achievement".

I put a post in suggestions about real-world economics stats, but any other goal to compete towards would do.
Circuits per minute :)

DailyFrankPeter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DailyFrankPeter »

kovarex wrote: Circuits per minute :)
Challenge accepted. :)

Is that something I'll be able to do more than once, though, each time becoming slightly better? 'Cause I have a hunch that all you need for more more circuits per minute is a bigger factory. ;)

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

kovarex wrote:Circuits per minute :)
Circuits per minute is way too vague... anyone can ramp up the amount of circuits produced per minute. :lol:

So by which standards do we compare Factory A and Factory B, both producing exactly the same amount of circuits per minute?

If it is for example "Circuits per Minute per Area" that would make Factory A and Factory B more comparable to determine which one has the most space efficient Electronic Circuit layout and so on. :D

Of course other values such as Power consumption could be used too to rate the Factory.

SaintFlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SaintFlow »

Hi there!

My initial thought was to open a new topic but as it's kinda the same thing I thought I will just answer/ask in here.

Currently I'm rather new to Factorio (playing coop with a friend), like 12 hours in. I'm absolutely in love with the core gameplay mechanics (and the visuals and the sound design). I read a bit around and the only "endgame"/goal thing i saw was to be able to launch a rocket and thats kinda it.

Most things I found on the internet were either just idea posts in this forum or official blog posts from a year ago. So my question is: What is currently there? Is it really "just" getting that rocket launched and afterwards you dont really have anything to do apart from self set goals? I'd really love to know because if there isnt any endgame really, I might try to slow down myself to at least artificially prolong the looming "ending". I know myself and as soon as I don't have any goals to accomplish which (at least in my head) make sense, I lose interest rather quickly. And I don't want that to happen with Factorio. It's just too awesome (And tbh, just going the "create a more difficult to start out in map and play that afterwards" does not sound like that much fun to me). So is there something? Aliens getting more aggressive over time so you need to get more and more defensive things? Some other conditions you need to meet to keep going?

Please tell me that there is something to keep me hooked! (and as an idea to the devs if there isnt anything: IMHO (as a short term goal) if there currently is no endgame to keep people playing, at least add some meaning (a quick gain kind of thing. not really fancy, just something where a small amount of changes can have a huge impact of endgame playability) which one can relate to if he really likes the game. The endgame ideas i saw were very elaborate and would afford a ton of work to implement, which would most likely make them long term projects. When I looked at the Steam charts, I am pretty sure that money won't be a problem for this game to be completed properly, but I'd rather like to continue playing now than to wait 2-3 years and then come back :p )

Thank you very much for your time and have a nice day,
Flo

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

If you want a different and more challenging (and longer) experience of gameplay, at least before 0.13 comes with its load of new features, I advise you to give a try to marathon mod, coupled with RSO. It should help you have a lot longer playthrough.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

I have not reached the endgame yet actually, because like you said, it doesn't seem like a worthy goal. Still, I've played dozens of hours at this game, playing it as if the point was just to survive. I think when I want to, I will imagine that launching a rocket lets me escape the planet and go home, but for now, I like living here :lol: I picked up RSO mod a while ago, and my "goal" in playing is to create a world with many distant outposts, with a complex and elegant train system linking it together.

Return to “General discussion”