Building Phases

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ajranney
Inserter
Inserter

Building Phases

Post by ajranney »

For me when i play i have found that i tend to get lost watching my factory run after i set some part up. Then when i go to do the next thing I realize that I could have been preparing for the next objective. I was developing a guide to help me keep on track of what to be doing and wanted to know if the phases I follow are similar to other people. Here is what I have put together. Let me know if you do something different. I was also wanting to formalize specific ideal quantities for each phase. That would be the next part I plan on developing after i get some feedback about how to separate the phases. For example how much iron/copper you might be expected to need for red/green science and how much power you would need also.
I know that no one formula can work for every map. Ratios could also be helpful. For example a guide of how many burner miners you might use for each resource would be useful. Again a general guide of sorts, not a follow this for every map no matter what. If there are major changes during updates then this may be adjusted. I also know that some people play without using certain technologies like trains, robots, solar, or capsules. I wanted feedback on what phases you find you follow when you play and what objectives you have during that phase. I believe that generally due to the phases being separated by science level that most people will follow phases like these or quite similar.
Originally I had tried to separate the Red and Green Science phase but when I play they both get automated together. The endgame phases can vary widely based on play strategies and use of trains, robots, and desired goals of the player.
Burner Phase
  • Priorities: Boilers and Steam Power, Copper, Iron, Stone, Coal
    Power: none
    Research: none
    Military options: Gun
Electric Phase
  • Priorities: Iron, Copper, Labs and Red/Green Science
    Power: 5 to 10 Boilers
    Research: Automation, Electronics, Military, Logistics, Steel, Automation 2
    Military options: Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Turrets, Armor
Red/Green Science
  • Priorities: Iron, Copper, Stone, Steel, Oil
    Power: 20 Boilers
    Research: Oil and related, Lasers, Trains
    Military options: (science upgrades?)
Oil Phase
  • Priorities: Blue Science, Green Circuits, Red Circuits, Copper, Iron
    Power: Solar available
    Research: Solar
    Military options: Laser Turrets
Blue Science Phase
  • Priorities: Update Oil, Robots, Engines and Robot Frames, Electric Furnace
    Research: Robots, Alien tech, Modules
    Military options: Combat shotgun, Capsules
All Science
  • Priorities: Expand, Blue Circuits, Rocket Defence
    Research: Rocket, Modules
    Military options: Power Armor

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Building Phases

Post by johanwanderer »

I would recommend watching any of Arumba's Factorio playlists on YouTube to see how he plans for the next phase. It's impressive.

First thing that jumps out to me:

Initial phase:
- Priority: Coal (last longer than wood, so you don't have to run around as much), iron, steam power, some copper
- Research: as soon as steam power is available, build a lab and research automation so you don't have to manually built everything.

Red science phase:
- Priority: green science

Green science phase:
- Priority: blue science :)

Once you get blue science, it's just a matter of expanding toward the end game. Obviously you should always plan for a "good" (expandable, pretty, efficient, fast, all of the above) base :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Building Phases

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”