Quality Poll

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Quality Renaming Poll

New names: Normal, Scarce, Radiant, Pristine, Superior
2%
Original names: Normal, Uncommon , Rare, Epic, Legendary
20%
Neither (different set)
78%

Total votes: 51

Theisen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Quality Poll

Post by Theisen »

For people who don't like the naming convention of the item quality grades. I was thinking what should be the alternative? Quality means different things for different context. Like Diamonds, and Gold use Karats, Copper, and steel have utility grade i.e. Pipe steel, Electronic Steel, Building Steel. Gem quality is marketing based, unless its for a laser then it is letter grades. Since there isn't a general quality grading for general items. I.e. Ores, Metals, Machines, Weapons, Ammo. Quality naming is arbitrary.

If I had to rename generic quality grades for the game this is what I would pick. ( Less fantasy inspired )
  • Normal -> Normal
  • Uncommon -> Scarce
  • Rare -> Radiant
  • Epic -> Pristine
  • Legendary -> Superior

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Quality Poll

Post by Khagan »

Theisen wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:48 pm
If I had to rename generic quality grades for the game this is what I would pick. ( Less fantasy inspired )
  • Normal -> Normal
  • Uncommon -> Scarce
  • Rare -> Radiant
  • Epic -> Pristine
  • Legendary -> Superior
Sorry, but this is a very chaotic list. 'Scarce' is still a rarity rating, not a quality one; 'Superior' should not be above 'Pristine'; and 'Radiant' is just weird. There are several better versions in the long FFF discussion thread. A more interesting poll might be one that got people to select alternatives independently for each level. (My current preference: normal, good, precision, excellent, perfect.)

Melodi-of-Crystals
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Melodi-of-Crystals »

• Normal -> Basic
  • Uncommon -> Upgraded
  • Rare -> Redesigned
  • Epic -> Improved
  • Legendary -> Perfected

Tried to match the theme to how some people (me) look at the stages of their base. And kinda matched the letters where I could.
Nintendo switch -
- 3 rockets launched :lol:
- Two worlds made too large to load
- Five times jumpscared by biters when the sound was off
- Still think I can outrun the train (nope)
- Trying to find the maximum SPM of a switch

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

Sorry but there have been better suggestions for quality names.
Poll should be stopped and restarted with more options.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

If you suggest comparing names ("Upgraded", "Redesigned", "Improved", "Superior"), consider it's not clear to what base it is upgraded, improved or it is superior to. So names like that aren't well suited. If something is "upgraded", from what it its upgraded? Is it upgraded from the normal tier, or the good tier, or to the exceptional tier? If something is "upgraded" and "improved", is it first improved, then upgraded, or first upgraded, then improved? Names must be made in a way its ordering in the tier list is immediately clear, without learning the order by heart.

Names like "Normal" or "Perfect" just describe some quality level everybody understands directly. They don't compare themselves to anything else, they just set some level. The other names should do the same. If any human is given some quality names in random order, they should be able to sort them properly without knowing the order and the full list.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

If the names would be replaced they should be replaced with names that actually describe quality:
  • Decent
  • Good
  • Great
  • Excellent
  • Perfect

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

---

Retracting my submission, I prefer Q1-Q5 naming instead.
Last edited by pointa2b on Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Loewchen wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:29 pm
If the names would be replaced they should be replaced with names that actually describe quality:
  • Decent
  • Good
  • Great
  • Excellent
  • Perfect
YES!

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Theisen wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:48 pm
  • Normal -> Normal
  • Uncommon -> Scarce
  • Rare -> Radiant
  • Epic -> Pristine
  • Legendary -> Superior
"Scarce" is basically just a synonym of rare; "radiant" seems a fantasy term; "pristine" means unused. Overall I think these are even worse than the originals, which to me feel out of place with Factorio but are at least internally consistent.
Tertius wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:16 pm
Names like "Normal" or "Perfect" just describe some quality level everybody understands directly. They don't compare themselves to anything else, they just set some level. The other names should do the same. If any human is given some quality names in random order, they should be able to sort them properly without knowing the order and the full list.
I agree with Loewchen that names should describe quality, but I think this is the key issue. The first level being "normal" (being the quality level of all items until you start using quality modules) and the top level being "perfect" (as good as is possible) are unambiguous. But in English, and perhaps other languages too, it is tricky (if not impossible) to have a clear order for intermediate levels.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Neither. The names will lock you into corner.

When a mod wants to make a new quality level then it will be something better than "legendary", "perfect", etc.. They have to try to find a word that somehow means "better than legendary", "better than perfect", and so on..

For this reason I vote:

QL0
QL1
QL2
QL3
..etc

Plus this solves the whole translation into other languages problem.

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

SoShootMe wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:05 pm
it is tricky (if not impossible) to have a clear order for intermediate levels.
Whatever we/the devs ultimately agree upon for these 'middle' (Q2-Q4) phrases, this seems to be the measure of their utility:
  1. Are the words/phrases easy enough to remember?
  2. Does this ranking clearly denote position while minimizing ambiguity?
  3. Is this ranking readily and easily understood without putting in excessive effort to memorize?

NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NineNine »

I'm sure that whatever the developers choose will be fine.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

Loewchen wrote:
  • Decent
  • Good
  • Great
  • Excellent
  • Perfect
'Great' is is rather hyperbolic compared to the other terms here. One might use it colloquially, but it doesn't really fit on a 'formal' list of quality names. And if it were included, it would have to be a higher quality than 'Excellent'. (History books tell of many excellent monarchs, but only a handful get called 'the Great'.) I'd prefer any of 'Fine', 'Precise' or 'Select' for the middle rank.

Alternatively, drop 'Excellent' back to the middle rank, and use 'Superb' as the penultimate one.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Loewchen wrote:
  • Decent
  • Good
  • Great
  • Excellent
  • Perfect
I agree for the quality vs scarcity and those names are my favourite so far, as names that i could order in my head, they feel appropriate to describe what they will be attached to, they do describe quality not scarcity and i don't mind excellent being stronger than great, i think it means something close to perfection, with a notion of it being relative to other thing, like the "upper part" or "amongst the best". But in case "Great" feels too strong in the presence of "Excellent" i would change it "Super". ( without the B at the end ).
pointa2b wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:15 pm
[*]Does this ranking clearly denote position while minimizing ambiguity?
This is itself ambiguous :) , because it can refer to 1) an ambiguity in the ordering, leaving unclear wether a person is talking about the 2nd or 3rd or 4rth quality level or it can refer to 2) minizing ambiguity when using the names in the "everyday life".

And given my lack of proper english words to describe things, i fear that it will be confusing ( ambiguous) when i try to use those compared to terms that would be more specific to the engineering/automation lexical field but that i do not know yet and would need to learn for factorio ( which i would be fine with). Or just numbers.

"Anyone has a good blueprint to make good plastic ? "
" I have an older blueprint that was decent but i made a newer one to make good iron plate which works great but is not perfect yet "

Even if those names gets my vote i feel it's clearer when using Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 because that's the number of dots, but Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 could make sense too, this could be made official by Wube so as to make sure there is no missmatch accross the internet when people are refering to factorio.

In multiplayer in the chat i think for me it will be just plastic5, assembly3-5. The repeated use of "legendary" out of context has some fun potential occasionnaly, but it's not working for me for uncommon or rare and would feel pretty annoying word to use in a ( serious) conversation where you are trying to communicate something precise that you have in your mind and are already struggling to do so in english for the internet to people that may also struggle to read it in english.
adam_bise wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:05 pm
When a mod wants to make a new quality level then it will be something better than "legendary", "perfect", etc.. They have to try to find a word that somehow means "better than legendary", "better than perfect", and so on..
I think the modders are very creative and would come up with good names, or alter the existing ones to fit their plans, or even something like legendary +1 +2 +3 because numbers are generally used to order things i agree :) though i prefer to start at Q1 :D

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:54 am
And given my lack of proper english words to describe things, i fear that it will be confusing ( ambiguous) when i try to use those compared to terms that would be more specific to the engineering/automation lexical field but that i do not know yet and would need to learn for factorio ( which i would be fine with). Or just numbers.
You're right, this is all subjective. I've been thinking about this a lot, and its probably for the best if we just use Q1-Q5. Its far easier to remember, and adding more quality levels with mods is seamless. Plus if someone really dislikes the naming, there will probably be 100 mods out there offering different choices. A lot of time is getting wasted getting hung up on a minor issue.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

At least, the poll says, that the names proposed by the devs are not that popular. Although, not many have participated for a realistic impression.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I have not fully liked any proposals I've seen, though some words like "exceptional" and "perfected" or maybe "flawless" have felt very fitting. It would take me a lot of thought to come up with 4 well fitting ones, so I've not put in the time.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

All these name suggestions assume that the first level is the basic, default level. But I say, why be satisfied with that? Strive for highest quality! Anything else is just too mediocre.
  • Crappy
  • Garbage
  • Lame
  • Underwhelming
  • Acceptable

zaphrous
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zaphrous »

I would do something like Manufacturing quality (tolerances) I'm not sure real tolerances but I would guess something like this.
Very loose (10%)
Loose (5%)
Standard (1.5%)
Improved (0.5%)
Advanced (0.1%)
Superior(<0.01%)
Perfect (<0.001%)

Hovel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hovel »

Don't forget: after we have decised what the final names will be in English, we cant have serveral more discussions for all the other languages.

That why I think using quality level/tier I, II, III, IV, V or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 would be the best option. This will translate a lot easier. Multiple items already use level/tier: Assembeling machines, modules and personal equipment.

Return to “General discussion”