[1.0] Game crash randomly and frequently

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
tl54nz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.0] Game crash randomly and frequently

Post by tl54nz »

Factorio would crash randomly and frequently. I have started multiple tutorials, freeplay sessions, which would all crash eventually (usually in about half an hour).

Sometimes it'd crash the entire PC, forcing me to do a manual reset. Sometimes it'd force Windows go into BSOD mode. Sometimes it crashes to the desktop.

Latest OS version(Win 10), latest drivers for everything and no mods. I have played other far more demanding games for hundreds of hours without any issues.

I really love the game but it's so hard to play it when I have to reboot my PC every half an hour. Thank you.
Attachments
JS007.zip
(2.63 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
factorio-previous.log
(12.72 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0] Game crash randomly and frequently

Post by Rseding91 »

If you're getting blue screens of death it means you have hardware issues, driver issues, or your operating system files are corrupt. Factorio cannot cause a BSOD.

I recommend running this: https://www.memtest.org/
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

tl54nz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tl54nz »

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I have run memtest, Windows built in RAM test, driver verifier and Intel CPU test tool. None of them came back with any issue.

So far among all the games I play, Factorio is the only one that crashes. Some games I play are very demanding on the system which has no issue.

I have also tried to use the integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 630) instead of the discrete RTX 2060, which still results the same crashing.

Are there any other possible things I can test or try? Really love the game. I have put in 39 hours despite hard crash every half hour or so. Thank you so much.

Waldorf The Greatest
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Waldorf The Greatest »

I play Factorio over several years. About 3000hours. Never had problems. Last month I bought a brand new gaming computer.

Devices and Drivers
PROCESSOR
Intel® Core™ i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
GRAPHICS
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
MEMORY
16 GB

Now I have the same issues. The Factorio game crashes randomly sometimes after a couple of hours, sometimes after 12 hours. It is randomly.

My question is, are you playing with time control?, I mean can you speed up the game by 2x, 4x, 8x speed? I am not sure but every time I speed up the game I have the idea that is will faster will crash. (but of course it can be because the time to crash is also faster??????)

What did I do:
- Disabling Steam Overlay,
- FPS to 60
- Forced open GL
- Max threat rendering 2
- Flip presentation off

And the problem still occurs....

Many thanks for everyone who has the solution for this nasty problem.
In advance,
Waldo

Waldorf The Greatest
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Waldorf The Greatest »

Yes, It only happenes with Factorio. All other high quality games will play without any problems.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Sorry, but where it's crashing has only and ever been caused by peoples defective hardware. I believe you that other games aren't crashing but that really just doesn't matter. If it's crashing where it's crashing and as frequently as you say it is: that's defective hardware. Hundreds of thousands of other users are running the exact same game and same code with zero issues.

You can not believe me if you want; but that doesn't fix the crashing on your end. Believe me when I say it: I would love if it was an error in our code that I could just fix - then I wouldn't have to keep trying to convince people their hardware is broken.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

gabberworld
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gabberworld »

when you play game, to you use any usb hardware what powered from usb? i had long time ago issue with one hardware what caused BSOD because it used too much power from usb port, issue go away when i buy usb hub with own power supply.

tl54nz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tl54nz »

Thanks you all for the replies. I think I may have found the cause. I am writing this up in case anyone else has the similar issue.

I noticed the game became stable when I am using Windows Driver Verifier to stress test device drivers. This is counter intuitive as stress tests generally should make programs less stable rather than more stable. I managed to isolate the driver set to just the graphic drivers through numerous reconfigure and reboot.

Anyway, I realized that if I kept the graphic card/driver busy enough, the game would not crash. This may have something to do with Windows power management. I switched the power plan from the default Balanced to High Performance. So far the game hasn't crashed after about 8 hours of play. I think my system was managing power saving too aggressively, causing this, which also explained why I don't have this issue with more demanding games.

Thanks again for helping out.

Return to “Technical Help”