[1.1.104] Inserters do not pick up items on output full machine speed increase

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Camusensei
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.104] Inserters do not pick up items on output full machine speed increase

Post by Camusensei »

I have an assembly machine which has input available (inserter) and in the state "output full" normally reached (no items added in the buffer manually)
I increase its speed (by building/enabling speed module beacons)
(I know that this change increases the "normal" output buffer size of the assembly machine and it will now have to craft more items to reach the "output full" state)
I expect the machine to start crafting until it reaches "output full" state again. Due to the state it was in (not enough ingredients), it wakes up the inserter for it to pick up new ingredients by changing to the "item ingredient shortage" state. The inserter changes from "waiting for space in destination" state to "waiting for source items state".

I expect the inserter to pick up the ingredients.
Instead, the inserter does not move until I either rotate or rebuild it.

Example from my save
Before increasing the speed:
- Assembly machine state: "output full"
- Not enough ingredients to build an "iron gear wheel"
- 4 "iron gear wheel"s in the machine output
- crafting speed 0.5
- Inserter state: "waiting for space in destination"

After increasing the speed:
- Assembly machine state: "item ingredient shortage"
- Not enough ingredients to build an "iron gear wheel"
- 4 "iron gear wheel"s in the machine output
- crafting speed 4.875
- Inserter state: "waiting for source items state"
bug report speed change.png
bug report speed change.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 227 times
Fully reproducible.
Attachments
bug report speed change shortage.zip
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
factorio-current.log
(5.44 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.104] Inserters do not pick up items on output full machine speed increase

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. This was reported in the past 96457 and I applied a fix. However that fix was incorrect and it resulted in desyncs so it unfortunately had to be reverted 98445. We have so far not found an option that isn't incorrect and so it stays like this. You can simply remove the outputs of the machine and it will continue crafting - with a higher input buffer if the speed values have changed.

So with that said, I don't consider this worth poking at more as it doesn't actually harm anything and is self-solving if the machine results are actually being used.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Camusensei
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.104] Inserters do not pick up items on output full machine speed increase

Post by Camusensei »

Thank you for your answer.
I completely agree, it's really just cosmetic.
I wonder how I did not find the previous report, I'll be more careful when searching next time.

Return to “Minor issues”