Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Post Reply
bripi
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by bripi » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 am

Loving the update news!!! The new graphics on the accumulator are sparky! And, THANX SOOOO MUCH for the upgrade on map generation GUI...this is going to improve things a hell of alot. One thing I didn't see that I wonder how difficult it would be to include is a click-box to turn biters off completely? I use a mod right now but it's not much in the way of coding so it seems like something that would be easy to integrate into the opening menu and map generation menus. VERY excited to get .17 when it drops!!

User avatar
SeigneurAo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:13 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by SeigneurAo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 am

Man, I don't remember the wait being so hard to bear for 0.16.
Hype over 9000...

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:11 am

kovarex wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 pm
dee- wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Are blueprints and blueprint books automatically synced as individual files/directories from and to the disk?
Then I could init a Git repository there and version control all my blueprints...
:geek:
They are not (just blueprint.dat). What you say makes sense, but I'm not sure what to do with that :) A super-user option to keep blueprints in directory structure instead of a file? Well, i believe, that just making backups of the file is enough for the typical geek.
That would be great !
I'm sure that people with lots of blueprints would love you if you implemented that.

And with an image showing the blueprint ! (Using the mods that it was created with.)

(I have no idea about the potential performance issues of course...)

R3vo
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by R3vo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 am

Image
I think the list on the right should be sorted alphabetically by default.

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:17 am

5thHorseman wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:36 am
roothorick wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:18 am
TigBits wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 pm
Create a map without trees
I've always wondered, when you do this, how do you get your first power pole?
I suspect maybe logs will still be lying around. Though that makes me wonder... with no trees where would they come from?

EDIT: No I just tried in and at least in 0.16 there is no wood anywhere.

So it seems that without a mod, setting trees to "None" is an insta-lose.
This has always bothered me...
Of course with mods you have workarounds,
but wouldn't it be nice if that was possible with vanilla too ?

Maybe logs should still be laying around ?
(Here's an alternative idea : Add some flotsam logs on shores - the player might imagine that they have been carried from elsewhere where there are trees...)

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 am

R3vo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 am
Image
I think the list on the right should be sorted alphabetically by default.
Ok, but only if blueprints are automatically prefixed by timestamps !

User avatar
thecatlover1996
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by thecatlover1996 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 am

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 am
R3vo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 am
I think the list on the right should be sorted alphabetically by default.
Ok, but only if blueprints are automatically prefixed by timestamps !
How about multiple sort options, so that every player can pick what's best for them? :P

R3vo
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by R3vo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:49 am

thecatlover1996 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 am
BlueTemplar wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 am
R3vo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 am
I think the list on the right should be sorted alphabetically by default.
Ok, but only if blueprints are automatically prefixed by timestamps !
How about multiple sort options, so that every player can pick what's best for them? :P
That would be ideal.

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:01 am

Yeah, sure, I haven't dared to suggest it because of :
Not all of the things that we originally planned to be done were done (surprise), but we just left any non-essential stuff for later so we won't postpone the release any further.
Though I guess that it could be part of :
The smaller releases will contain mainly:

Final looks and behaviour of new GUI screens as they will be finished.

Haighstrom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:38 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Haighstrom » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:45 am

I've created an account just to say I'm honestly humbled by how brilliant the Factorio team is. Almost every FFF leaves me fist pumping the air. Such intelligent and well thought out design and improvements, combined with incredible programming and brilliantly articulated blog posts. Simply wonderful. I'm so excited for 0.17.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by vanatteveldt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Looking forward to .17! Haven't started a new map since November because I thought the release would be 'soon' :)
TOGoS wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:51 pm
TigBits wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 pm
Terrain generation updates
[..]1. Create a map without trees[..]
Mmmmmmyes.
Would'nt that be unplayable in vanilla as there's no way to get research going without at least one wood power pole?

pleegwat
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by pleegwat » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:16 pm

kovarex wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 pm
dee- wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Are blueprints and blueprint books automatically synced as individual files/directories from and to the disk?
Then I could init a Git repository there and version control all my blueprints...
:geek:
They are not (just blueprint.dat). What you say makes sense, but I'm not sure what to do with that :) A super-user option to keep blueprints in directory structure instead of a file? Well, i believe, that just making backups of the file is enough for the typical geek.
They'd still be base64-encoded blobs, though I guess the names would be visible. Isn't the format known? Wouldn't an external decoding utility serve the purpose better?

Cobaltur
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Cobaltur » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:50 pm

kovarex wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 pm
dee- wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Are blueprints and blueprint books automatically synced as individual files/directories from and to the disk?
Then I could init a Git repository there and version control all my blueprints...
:geek:
They are not (just blueprint.dat). What you say makes sense, but I'm not sure what to do with that :) A super-user option to keep blueprints in directory structure instead of a file? Well, i believe, that just making backups of the file is enough for the typical geek.
Is it possible to sync the blueprints in steam like a savegame?

Some time ago I had to reinstall my PC and all blueprints were gone. I could restore some from savegame files but not all.
This would be also very handy if you play at 2 PCs. I could not store all bleprints book in the inventory so I have to rely on the global library which is not synced between 2 PCs.

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by 5thHorseman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:58 pm

bripi wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 am
One thing I didn't see that I wonder how difficult it would be to include is a click-box to turn biters off completely?
I'm sure it would be fairly easy, but it's also quite redundant as you can - in 0.16 and even earlier - set the size of "Enemy Bases" to "None" which eliminates them entirely.

No need for a mod, even now.
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

Dawydov
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Dawydov » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Sander_Bouwhuis wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:23 pm
Regarding that picture with the 3 islands.

Will it be possible in v0.17 to have an ocean with dozens of largish islands?

Also, if there are any talented modders out there who could make a ferry/boat/steamer mod to transport goods from island to island I would be extremely happy!
Yes! I´d also like to support the "Fun with Islands" movement here ;-)

1) The "One island challenge" is a great idea. New type of gameplay. Love it.
2) Besides that, it would be great to be able to have a map with multiple islands (and possibly new water-transport method between them, but not necessary). Discovering new distant lands over the ocean is kinda new gameplay also, and it shouldn´t be that much work to create it, I hope.

Pyroksyllin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Pyroksyllin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi. Maybe i'm not first, who implementing this thing... Can we hope to appear of ferries, bridges (for trains or not) and other ways to cross large body's of water?

User avatar
Mike5000
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:57 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Mike5000 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Love today's FFF.
WildBraas wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:49 am
Question about the names of railway stations. Do you plan to remove the limit of 50 characters (and 25 unicode omg)?
Because if you use [icons/iron-plates]-type icons in the names, the current length is not enough. By the way, limitless maps, limitless productions and 50 char limit. Come on...
The power pole five connection limit causes random breakage and is if anything even more ridiculous. Hopefully power poles will be fixed before 1.0.

satchmo91
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by satchmo91 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work, guys! This looks great, and I'm really excited to start a new game and try it all out!

Trebor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Trebor » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:05 pm

vanatteveldt wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:10 pm
Looking forward to .17! Haven't started a new map since November because I thought the release would be 'soon' :)
TOGoS wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:51 pm
TigBits wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 pm
Terrain generation updates
[..]1. Create a map without trees[..]
Mmmmmmyes.
Would'nt that be unplayable in vanilla as there's no way to get research going without at least one wood power pole?
Could a scenario be created where 5 medium electric poles were added to starting inventory?

Hiladdar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 6:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Hiladdar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:27 pm

First and foremost, I like the changes, and am excited about them. I especially like the visuals in the world generation.

The the thing that impresses me the most, is the announced dedicated in house beta testing. This is a great indicator that the developers have a passion for what their jobs resulting in much higher quality code. I know from experience, that no matter how much testing is done, by how many developers and users, bugs will crop up. The beta and then alpha test should ferret the most damaging ones, the ones which could break an aspect of the game, and with a negative public relations sweep across the internet like a hurricane. For this one reason I do not recommend a product release on Friday. I whole hardly concur with a release on something like Tuesday, which gives ample time for final check the day before, and not less then 2 solid days for players to banging away on their keyboards and mice, trying to make the game do things no one even imagined exposing issues that neither beta or alpha testing revealed.

I am OK with smaller non-game changing UI changes being rolled out as they are polished and tested. This gives us, as players something to look forward to until release of .18 or 1.0 about a year from now.

Regarding RSO mod, based on what I experienced with the RSO mod and the quality of that code, I am sure that if the developer wanted, he would be able to make the appropriate changes to it to accommodate .17. It may take some time. If he does choose to update his mod, personally I will look forward to also take a look at it. The way I see it, it is up to the mod developers to test their code against .17.

Hiladdar

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users