Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Regular reports on Factorio development.
xoft
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by xoft » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Train-out-of-fuel warning is too late already. We need a Train-burning-its-last-fuel warning so that we can redirect the train to somewhere it can refuel *before* it halts completely.

Now, do we have any way of changing train schedules based on their cargo / fuel? That would be awesome - "when low on fuel, go to station X"

User avatar
Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Gergely » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 pm

xoft wrote:Now, do we have any way of changing train schedules based on their cargo / fuel? That would be awesome - "when low on fuel, go to station X"
Oh we seriously need that. Logistic bots or a "fuel distribution train" is not enough already for all our needs...

Not that I disagree, it would be a nice addition, but the problem is already solved.

User avatar
mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by mexmer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:44 pm

xoft wrote:Train-out-of-fuel warning is too late already. We need a Train-burning-its-last-fuel warning so that we can redirect the train to somewhere it can refuel *before* it halts completely.

Now, do we have any way of changing train schedules based on their cargo / fuel? That would be awesome - "when low on fuel, go to station X"
i wonder, how can one run out of fuel in first place, in standard setup unloading station also drops fuel into locomotive, so it's not that hard to setup signal, that fueling box is out of fuel. and then trains don't consume that much to run out of fuel. i have some "long" paths, and still whole trip doesn't consume more than single stack of solid fuel.

Jürgen Erhard
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:29 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Jürgen Erhard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:07 pm

Therax wrote:
hitzu wrote:So with new walls, turrets are just begging to be put on top of the walls as a strong foundation for them.
Ohhh yeah, just like Warzone 2100!
Image
I'm not really surprised to see WZ here. Factorio players have good taste! :D

User avatar
Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:47 pm

I don't know that game, but it looks good and would fit very nice together with Factorio, I think.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of. Image

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Avezo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:51 pm

Singlular gates already 'merge' along their width, I wouldn't mind if multiple gates merged through their thickness too.
Image

Rizzano
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Rizzano » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:58 am

By "getting some of these items printed" does that mean doing it ourselves? Or is there somewhere we can order these from?

Love the belt keychain, I must have one.

PS: I don't have a 3D printer.

Rizzano
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Rizzano » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:00 am

xoft wrote:Train-out-of-fuel warning is too late already. We need a Train-burning-its-last-fuel warning so that we can redirect the train to somewhere it can refuel *before* it halts completely.

Now, do we have any way of changing train schedules based on their cargo / fuel? That would be awesome - "when low on fuel, go to station X"
Agree 100%, this this, and more this!

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1121
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:57 am

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Zavian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:05 am

Rizzano wrote:
xoft wrote:Train-out-of-fuel warning is too late already. We need a Train-burning-its-last-fuel warning so that we can redirect the train to somewhere it can refuel *before* it halts completely.

Now, do we have any way of changing train schedules based on their cargo / fuel? That would be awesome - "when low on fuel, go to station X"
Agree 100%, this this, and more this!
Just make sure that the train always gets fuel at one of the stops on its schedule. (Personally for me this new warning will be useful for the first couple of trains I setup on a new base, because some of those normally get fueled from a chest that that I fill manually, until I get around to setting up proper fuel system).

Unclebod
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:28 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Unclebod » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:52 am

Rizzano wrote:By "getting some of these items printed" does that mean doing it ourselves? Or is there somewhere we can order these from?

Love the belt keychain, I must have one.

PS: I don't have a 3D printer.
Search for "3d printing online" in your favourite internet search engine and you will find places that will print for you and send it home.

IN some places you might find a 3D-printer in a public library, but I have not found any such place myself, yet.

/UncleBod

m44v
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by m44v » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:28 am

Oktokolo wrote:
Gergely wrote:Ever heard of "Advanced settings" or "Death world"? You can scale biters and their difficulty curve however you want all the way to downright no chance.
Whoever wants harder and more interesting biters should use mods for that. I saw one, that makes biters use basic tactics like helping their brethren defend their base, retreat and regroup if losses get too high, going berserk on specific targets to break through defenses and avoiding chunks where a lot of biters died recently (not sure if last one was the same mod).
There are also some simple ones that add more resitances and damage types. Also every mod that makes base building more complex makes the race against biter evolution harder too.
Multiplying recipe costs by some arbitrary factor like in deathworld is a crappy way to achieve that. Try one of the big overhaul mods instead.
I tried that mod and kills the game performance. Besides mods can't change every aspect of the game, they're limited by the API so only the devs could do significant improvements. It doesn't have to be about the bitter AI, it could be an "infinite evolution" feature that would go along with the infinite science, so combat science remains relevant throughout the game instead of something you stop researching because it becomes overkill. That's something that can't be done by a mod.

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by leoch » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:12 pm

You don't plan to solve the "glitch" then: trying to walk up a blue belt placed on a slow surface (sand) is impossible.

Why exactly does the surface under the belt affect player speed?

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:40 am

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Ghoulish » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:02 pm

factoriouzr wrote:
POPISowyNumer wrote:This game really needs it's military side upped tremendously
better gates, more varied defence options, ability to link the turrets to logics, fortifications
and BETTER ENEMIES

I completely agree with all of what you said!!!
This truly is needed. The biters and fighting side of Factorio has always felt lacklustre to me, almost like an after thought, but perhaps that is the case, as it's not what Factorio's about.. But there's all this ingenuity, creativity, depth and polish to the rest of the game yet the biter experience pales into total mediocrity by comparison. And that's a shame. I know many people are not interested in biters (so turn them off) As I know there are mods which cater to the bigger better biter experience, but this just isn't the same. For me such mods give a small glimpse of the potential of what biters could be if Wube were to throw their coders and graphic artists into the fray after a bit of brainstorming. New types of biters (e.g. burrowing, artillery type bombing, flying) New types of armour and fortifications (crystals in lasers to change their innate stats, who knows..). For me the whole biter and fighting experience could and should be so much more.

But there just isn't the time. Unless a combat rework has been on the boil secretly I can't see anything major getting in before 1.0 lands beyond a final balancing patch or two. Did someone just say expansion!? Massive combat / biter / fortification rework as part of an expansion.. Yes please.
doktorstick wrote:
eradicator wrote:
FFF253 wrote:Any chance we can get diagonal rail gates?
Pretty please!?
Pretty please with sugar on top! Might as well give us true diagonal walls too while you're at it :D

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1738
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 am

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by Jap2.0 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:19 pm

leoch wrote:You don't plan to solve the "glitch" then: trying to walk up a blue belt placed on a slow surface (sand) is impossible.

Why exactly does the surface under the belt affect player speed?
It doesn't, at least not in vanilla. If the type of ground affects your speed, that's a mod.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 am

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by factoriouzr » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:05 pm

POPISowyNumer wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:15 am
This game really needs it's military side upped tremendously
better gates, more varied defence options, ability to link the turrets to logics, fortifications
and BETTER ENEMIES
I completely agree. I have really wanted the warfare and biter types aspect improved for a long time and requested it many times. Hope they finally listen :).

Post Reply

Return to “News”