Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by kovarex »

The lighthouse keeper report: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-35

Edit: The link works now :)

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by DRBLN »

Hooray!

Looking forward for 0.10

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by kovarex »

The thing I like the most on 0.10 so far, is the experience of standing next to rails and hearing the train passing by.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by jeroon »

Anything that results in less train-related-player-deaths makes me happy. I think I've been killed more often by trains than by biters :D

eddyvegas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:18 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by eddyvegas »

Looking at the player model made me think - will the avatar look different when he dons the different sets of armors? That would be a nice eye candy reward for the player.

Cerus
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by Cerus »

kovarex wrote:The thing I like the most on 0.10 so far, is the experience of standing next to rails and hearing the train passing by.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but is there a proper doppler effect?

User avatar
GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 5:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by GewaltSam »

eddyvegas wrote:Looking at the player model made me think - will the avatar look different when he dons the different sets of armors? That would be a nice eye candy reward for the player.
That would be a nice idea, at least at some point in development :) Also, please put in enough colors for player models in multiplayer, maybe even selectable on a color chart. More choices than standardized red/green/blue would be very nice. Terraria and some other games had a pretty simple system where you could change your color via some numbers for saturation etc (I think they changed to a scale showing the colors directly, but I'm not sure). I don't even need different colors for different parts of your armor, just being able to change the "base color" would be a nice feature. It's not really THAT important, but I guess it's not too hard to do either, so, if you find the time... :)

(Picture added for reference)
pic

I'm interested in how the sounds play out in the game. I'm generally speaking a sceptical person, so I could imagine running around and configuring your factories could get a bit annoying if you don't get the noises they make right. But let's wait until I get my claws on the new version. I have faith you guys get that one right :)

Also:
The thing I like the most on 0.10 so far, is the experience of standing next to rails and hearing the train passing by.
You know what would be a nice idea to hype your community a bit in the future? If you got things like this, just put a small video of it on Youtube or somewhere else; like, only five to ten seconds, showing a small new feature, or teasing a bit of new content. Like, when the MP patch is coming, show two or three guys running around doing stuff; nothing big, nothing long, just a little teaser of things to come. People love stuff like that :) Tiy (the main guy behind Starbound) loves doing that, and the community loves watching it.

Tenebrous
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by Tenebrous »

kovarex wrote:The thing I like the most on 0.10 so far, is the experience of standing next to rails and hearing the train passing by.
I can't wait!

Hope you can also add that weird noise you hear on the rails when a train is approaching.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:41 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by Lee_newsum »

dibbs on the red one :D :!:

bird2750
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by bird2750 »

The new player models look good for multiplayer :geek:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by FishSandwich »

Looking forward to 0.10. All those new graphics look awesome.

User avatar
Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by Darthlawsuit »

kovarex wrote:The thing I like the most on 0.10 so far, is the experience of standing next to rails and hearing the train passing by.
Oh god now I will hear the train sneaking up behind me trying to kill me... Everytime I hear that sound I will probably get a cold chill up my spine :!: *dead*

Looking forward to multiplayer! Oh, when you make multiplayer can you design it so that you could have, lets say 4, friends join at the start of the game but allow 2 of them to leave and let the remaining 2 continue playing while the other 2 are away (Their bases will have to defend themselves). This is a "long term" game and it becomes difficult to play with multiple friends consistently due to how long it does take but if people are able to join and leave whenever it would solve that problem, minus raging from their base being destroyed :P.

User avatar
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by Drury »

kovarex wrote:The thing I like the most on 0.10 so far, is the experience of standing next to rails and hearing the train passing by.
Is it like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmVsOl9qAhs#t=34

If not, you still have a work to do :lol:
Image

User avatar
GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 5:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by GewaltSam »

Darthlawsuit wrote:Looking forward to multiplayer! Oh, when you make multiplayer can you design it so that you could have, lets say 4, friends join at the start of the game but allow 2 of them to leave and let the remaining 2 continue playing while the other 2 are away (Their bases will have to defend themselves). This is a "long term" game and it becomes difficult to play with multiple friends consistently due to how long it does take but if people are able to join and leave whenever it would solve that problem, minus raging from their base being destroyed :P.

I am hoping the same thing, but since I read the following on the "Content" page, I am pretty confident it will happen that way:

"Multiplayer

Build the factory with your buddies. Or just visit a game of your friends and let him show you around. Hmmm or maybe start a 4 vs. 4 deathmatch? At the moment we are working on the technical side of the Multiplayer. After this is done we will see what will the players like the most."

User avatar
cube
Former Staff
Former Staff
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by cube »

Cerus wrote:
kovarex wrote:The thing I like the most on 0.10 so far, is the experience of standing next to rails and hearing the train passing by.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but is there a proper doppler effect?
No doppler, sorry. Maybe later :-)
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:17 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by muzzy »

Replay is quite the can of worms.

If you want the old replay files to keep working in new versions of the game, you might have to modularize the entire game engine so that the replay code loads an older version of world generator/simulator to run the replay. This brings in super nasty consequences: if replay files end up having a security vulnerability (buffer overflow, arbitrary code execution) in one of the old versions, you're going to have to break all replays that were made with that version of the game (or perhaps all earlier ones!) or warn the user of the risks of playing untrusted replay files...

Right now you can break replay compatibility between each patch, but in the future you might want to think about it.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by kovarex »

The replays are planned to work only in the exact same version of the game.

Drexir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by Drexir »

I hate to be that guy. But when is the 0.10 experimental version going to be available? It was at first expected mid of may then it's end of may expected. Says on the friday facts you're working on it. Now that I think about it I would hate to be a developer.

"Ugh excuse me but when are you going to give me an update?" I honestly don't work good with deadlines. It takes all the fun, and creativity out. Not only that but when programming you have to get into a particular mindset without many distractions. So forget what I said. lol.

Though I do have one important question basically if this was fixed I would be the happiest person alive. Basically when running the game on high resolution monitor (or high DPI) the UI is very tiny the icons, text, etc. I made a thread about it here a while back: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 061#p24061

By the way I run a single 30" 2560x1600 monitor. This monitor doesn't have a scalar so going down to 1920x1200 (it's also a 16:10 aspect ratio) just makes everything blurry. I tried running the game in window mode but it doesn't matter because you can't force it to a certain window resolution. Even so would still run into blurry screen problems and would defeat the purpose of having a high res monitor. Also with 2560x1440 monitors becoming cheaper and cheaper (basically 16:9 version of a 4megapixel resolution) I could see this becoming a more frequent problem in the future. Heck 4k monitors are already hitting the market cheaper than what I paid for my 2560x1600 monitor. On a side note: I feel sorry for people that buy 4k monitors because there going to need a telescope to see anything on the screen. Windows does a pretty bad job of upscaling. Heck a lot of applications tend to do a terrible job with scaling.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by kovarex »

Drexir wrote:I hate to be that guy. But when is the 0.10 experimental version going to be available? It was at first expected mid of may then it's end of may expected. Says on the friday facts you're working on it. Now that I think about it I would hate to be a developer.

"Ugh excuse me but when are you going to give me an update?" I honestly don't work good with deadlines. It takes all the fun, and creativity out. Not only that but when programming you have to get into a particular mindset without many distractions. So forget what I said. lol.
Right now, I'm writing my own trigonometric functions, so yes I'm kind of deep in kind of nonsense :)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2387 ... lculations

Anyway, the release is planned for friday, lets see what can we do :)

Drexir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #35 The lighthouse keeper

Post by Drexir »

kovarex wrote:
Drexir wrote:I hate to be that guy. But when is the 0.10 experimental version going to be available? It was at first expected mid of may then it's end of may expected. Says on the friday facts you're working on it. Now that I think about it I would hate to be a developer.

"Ugh excuse me but when are you going to give me an update?" I honestly don't work good with deadlines. It takes all the fun, and creativity out. Not only that but when programming you have to get into a particular mindset without many distractions. So forget what I said. lol.
Right now, I'm writing my own trigonometric functions, so yes I'm kind of deep in kind of nonsense :)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2387 ... lculations

Anyway, the release is planned for friday, lets see what can we do :)
I'm only learning programming so take what I say with a grain of salt. After looking at your code where you define:

Code: Select all

#define M_1_2_PI 0.159154943091895335769 // 1 / (2 * pi)
A double can only store about 16 digits of precision. Unless you were to use a long double your compiler may use the 80bit extension instead of 64bit. Though a true long double would be 128bit I believe on a 64bit machine it would just address it into two different locations.

Anyways when you say

Code: Select all

 x += M_PI;
 x *= M_1_2_PI;
If M_PI is defined with the same amount of decimal places. The addition will try and store M_PI into x but it obviously isn't going to fit so the compiler will just chop off the remaining decimal points thus losing precision
Then you multiply that by M_1_2_PI which cannot possibly hold 20 decimal points. So your going to get a result you weren't expecting. You say you only need 8 places of precision. A double is capable of that precision in pretty much any modern compiler. It's just you don't wanna start out with a number larger than it can store. I didn't bother to look at the rest of the math because at the very beginning you are already losing precision.

Like I said you know more than I do. So probably my statements were wrong or you already knew.

Cool that we are going to be able to test the new update within a week :)

Post Reply

Return to “News”