Friday Facts #399 - Trash to Treasure

Regular reports on Factorio development.
mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #399 - Trash to Treasure

Post by mmmPI »

GregoriusT wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:22 pm
mmmPI wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:15 pm
The drawback is that some player may not understand the tools given to them so that they can handle the infinite stone.
May I remind you of the Ingame Tutorial Hint System that is definitely going to tell people how to void Stuff? That or they just build Chests upon Chests to store all the Stone because they skipped the Hint like I do all the time.
You reminded me that building storage chest upon storage chest is actually a way to get rid of stone in Fulgora, provided it's unprotected against lightning right ?

You could go with carelessness and observation rather than reading the hints ! which is good because i skip them too most of the time, thinking i would then search only for specific things when i encounter a problem. It often leads to realization that i've been doing something wrong for a long time, maybe not super efficient for fast learning. But then it stick better in memory :)

Kasyu52
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kasyu52 »

you do also use a TON of concrete and bricks for flooring your base, and by the time you've stopped with constant expansions to the factory and your rail network, you've probably already beaten the game. the fact that those stone sinks dont work forever doesn't really matter, since it's good to stockpile buildings for when you need to expand. refineries aren't built that often, but rails? electric furnaces? foundries? when are you going to stop producing them outside of the super end game?
edit: the foundry requires 20 refined concrete to craft, as was shown in FFF#397.
fff-397-foundry.png
fff-397-foundry.png (362.05 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

Kasyu52
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kasyu52 »

Thales_Vaz wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 pm
I like the concept of scrap resource, but if I was a dev, I create layers of recycling.
The scrap could turn electronic scrap, metal scrap, or rubble; or this could be different types of resource in planet

The electronic scrap could turn copper scrap, plastic scrap, or sulfur.
The metal scrap could be turn iron scrap, steel scrap, or holmium scrap.
The rubble could be torn concrete, ice, stone, low density structure or solid combustible.

And copper scrap, plastic scrap, iron scrap... could be melted or turned copper plate, plastic, iron scrap in a furnace.

It's just an idea, I just want to give this suggestion.
that's the exact thing the devs have stated they WANT to avoid, since there is only one recipe per item, with the exception of smelted materials, which cant be recycled. and they also dont want to add a bunch of intermediates to the game, since that just adds frustration.

catpig
Inserter
Inserter

Post by catpig »

Kasyu52 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:07 pm
Thales_Vaz wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 pm
I like the concept of scrap resource, but if I was a dev, I create layers of recycling.
The scrap could turn electronic scrap, metal scrap, or rubble; or this could be different types of resource in planet

The electronic scrap could turn copper scrap, plastic scrap, or sulfur.
The metal scrap could be turn iron scrap, steel scrap, or holmium scrap.
The rubble could be torn concrete, ice, stone, low density structure or solid combustible.

And copper scrap, plastic scrap, iron scrap... could be melted or turned copper plate, plastic, iron scrap in a furnace.

It's just an idea, I just want to give this suggestion.
that's the exact thing the devs have stated they WANT to avoid, since there is only one recipe per item, with the exception of smelted materials, which cant be recycled. and they also dont want to add a bunch of intermediates to the game, since that just adds frustration.
I'm sure - and I hope - that there'll be a mod for that :)

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

This would not only complicate things needlessly, it would also just be one extra step in recycling, which would not really facilitate the lore of the Recycler being able to reverse a Recipe that has mixed Categories of ingredients.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

XT-248
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

meganothing wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:34 pm
Void it?
That is a last resort option, and I wouldn't say I like being 'forced' to utilize last resort as the default modus operandi.

Put another way; I would instead re-direct excess byproducts from somewhere to another location where it can supplement or cause miners or assemblers to go idle while there is a large burst of byproducts (stone and concrete). This does add a non-trivial amount of logistic spaghetti and oscillation production, but I don't mind, as it is my modus operandi.

meganothing wrote:
The game is a sandbox. One player will build roboports like crazy, another might plaster everything with granite floor and build railroads all over the map. Those two would have a very different demand for stone. To accomodate them both the game could provide more stone and give the first player the option to void the stone.
I play in a way that minimizes the amount of stone I need for defensive purposes (the how doesn't matter here). Another player may not do this. Having a little stone on Fulgora is not going to harm my gameplay.

Another player may find themselves short of stone on Fulgora; they opt to solve it by setting a Space Platform logistic demand for stone from other providers off-world. Nothing wrong with this approach.

meganothing wrote:
(By the way: The only thing I have against voiding is that it makes it just too easy to avoid any production blocks)
I agree. Resorting to voiding is on its' own 'uninteresting' gameplay.

Instead, resorting to something similar to the Seablock Evil Mode modpack ('voiding is unattractive and costs more energy' variant of Seablock) makes for a far more profound and fun gameplay, where players' first source of raw material forces players to void at first until they unlock late-game production techniques that consume what they used to void freeing up energy to be used elsewhere in the factory.

Players can continue to void or pick an alternative technique that doesn't opt for 'voiding.'

I am generally not against voiding if used correctly to facilitate stimulating different choices in High-level Factory Designs.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Someone finally find the treasure x) ( hint : it's hidden in the gameplay )

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

You think you're real slick with those fluid puns, don't you? But I have to admit, this whole planet is pretty cool. And some of the changes you made are quite shocking (Let that missed pun sink in). This is outstanding (you know, that's how you get shocked here: standing out. Okay I'm done :D )!

Okay but SERIOUSLY, I love love love everything about this. I can't wait to play it, when it's done (...... but hopefully A. going well so you can go fast and B. without any unmanaged scope creep!).
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Voidling242
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Voidling242 »

Hares wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:52 pm
Damage and frequency boosted for demonstration purposes.
Scammed and clickbaited. Such a shame. :D

Modders, you know what to do.
Hopefully the world settings can be set to something like that.

Voidling242
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Voidling242 »

GregoriusT wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:46 pm
Anyways, Quantity Modules, really need those to be added too, or rename Productivity Modules to that. XD
I think speed Modules would be quantity modules.

Return to “News”