Friday Facts #397 - Factoriopedia

Regular reports on Factorio development.
dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #397 - Factoriopedia

Post by dog80 »

cool !

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

I see that this "Epic" / "Legendary" labels are still there :(

Can you consider changing the? I admit that my reaction to them may be extreme, but I have seen lives destroyed by gambling (yes, including gacha games) so I have quite immediate revulsion to anything connected to that.

BraveCaperCat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BraveCaperCat »

Henry Loenwind wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:05 pm
BraveCaperCat wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:47 pm
Plus, if you are using WIndows you might not be able to use the RIght Alt button soon! They are replacing it with a new key!
That'll be funny for the half of the world that needs the right alt key for things like {, [, @, ], }, ~, |, ...
Yeah, Microsoft are (trying to) replace it with an AI button!
But i have to put something factorio related, otherwise this will be made Off Topic (or so it probably would be if i were using the steam disscussion forums)

Anyone mention how good Quality is? Yeah, it is REALLY GOOD. Also, to the developers of Recipe Book and FJEI, I think someone stole your job!

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Kadet123 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:01 pm
I don't think I ever noticed how much longer the day is than the night. Saying it was 50/50 felt right, but apparently isn't, 100% daylight is 5x longer than 100% night.
That makes total sense i think, due to how human eyes are good at detecting a change in luminosity and when playing there is roughly 50% of "day" and the other 3 phase combined are also around 50% of the time, so the 50/50 between "full light" and "not full light" is about right. That's just my simplified wordings though."not full light" is perceived as "night-ish".

Maybe you've noticed the "blue" tint for the night in game, that's related it's called the the Purkinje effect
There are actual scientific research to describe the different "vision mode" in which the eyes can function related in this wiki page about mesopic vision. Or some more in depth article that have lengthy explanations about rhodopsin (ctrf F) this is more about how the eyes function to produce the vision, or this one about the adapation of the human eye to light.

It's nowhere written exactly why it works this way, but i'm not surprised that there exist in the game some counter-intuive perception/light relations. And people see things differently ! :)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

fiery_salmon wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:10 am
I see that this "Epic" / "Legendary" labels are still there :(

Can you consider changing the? I admit that my reaction to them may be extreme, but I have seen lives destroyed by gambling (yes, including gacha games) so I have quite immediate revulsion to anything connected to that.
Epic tales of legendary monsters and rare artifacts, do they also trigger your gambling revulsion? The words are even less gambling related than the game mechanic, your ask to change them makes even less sense when you provide your reasons. And the mechanic isn't gambling either since crafting high quality is at such a scale that it is just a statistical process taking advantage of the law of large numbers.

I'm not arguing for the words, I'm neutral. But your phobias and triggers aren't an argument, just mod the game to suit yourself. We can't all be treated like arachnophobes and small children and miss out on all great features because some small part of the population are overly sensitive and may dislike anything irrationally.
And in this case your gambling trigger isn't even controlling you into asking to remove gambling, you are asking for something unrelated to be removed. :roll:

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

BraveCaperCat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:05 am
Also, to the developers of Recipe Book and FJEI, I think someone stole your job!
You mean Recipe Book by Wube employee raiguard got his... job stolen... by himself?

Svip
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Svip »

Qon wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:52 am
BraveCaperCat wrote:
Also, to the developers of Recipe Book and FJEI, I think someone stole your job!
You mean Recipe Book by Wube employee raiguard got his... job stolen... by himself?
Truly, the highest honour for any mod is to be immortalised in vanilla.

BraveCaperCat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BraveCaperCat »

Qon wrote:
BraveCaperCat wrote:
How was i supposed to know that?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Svip wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:59 am
Qon wrote:
BraveCaperCat wrote:
Truly, the highest honour for any mod is to be immortalised in vanilla.
^^ This. Couple that with the fact that not too long ago he was a simple player and modder like the rest of us and Wube decided to hire him on? Yeah.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

BraveCaperCat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:15 pm
Qon wrote:
BraveCaperCat wrote:
How was i supposed to know that?
Well I just noticed that raiguard was staff when I encountered his posts while browsing around on the forum and reading his FFF posts. And I knew he made that mod among some other mods.
If you want to You may check the Factorio staff list.

BrainlessTeddy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainlessTeddy »

That looks really great. Tho if I may, I'd suggest a name change to Factoripedia. Just easier on the tongue.
Please consider english is not my native language.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

BrainlessTeddy wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:42 pm
That looks really great. Tho if I may, I'd suggest a name change to Factoripedia. Just easier on the tongue.
I'd go with one of these:
  • Encyclopedia Factoria
  • Encyclotoria
  • Encyclotorio

Svip
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Svip »

Loewchen wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:49 pm
BrainlessTeddy wrote:
  • Encyclopedia Factoria
If you're going that route, you gotta spell Encyclopædia.

BrainlessTeddy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainlessTeddy »

Svip wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:12 pm
Loewchen wrote:
BrainlessTeddy wrote:
  • Encyclopedia Factoria
Encyclopædia Factœria
Nah. I really like Encyclopedia Factoria tho. You have my support for that one. Idk it would break up the serious tone of Factorio just a little bit by going over the top.
Please consider english is not my native language.

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

BrainlessTeddy wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:21 pm
Svip wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:12 pm
Loewchen wrote:
BrainlessTeddy wrote:
  • Encyclopedia Factoria
Encyclopædia Factœria
Nah. I really like Encyclopedia Factoria tho. You have my support for that one. Idk it would break up the serious tone of Factorio just a little bit by going over the top.
And <thing>pedia is so overdone by now.

Rbon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Rbon »

From a preservation perspective, this is probably be the most important QoL update this game will ever get. Nothing could ever fully replace the wiki, but the Factoriopedia means in the worst case scenario where the wiki goes permanently offline, the information need to experience this game to its fullest will be available to anyone who has a copy of the base game.

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

This is very cool. I shouldn't have to open an external resource to learn about items.

This is a good opportunity to finally stop showing the player the rotational speed of an inserter (or of anything else similar) instead of items per second like in the belt.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Unknow0059 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:12 am
This is a good opportunity to finally stop showing the player the rotational speed of an inserter (or of anything else similar) instead of items per second like in the belt.
The thing is that Factorio players are expert nitpickers, and depending on a whole array of factors change the "items per second" number when items are grabbed from a belt (belt speed, belt shape, item spread on the belt, which line of the belt, even belt orientation), plus the distance they pick from, the distance where they drop, ... If items per second were written in the whateverpedia, first thing we would get is complaints that "that's not true, my tick precise setup doesn't work". Maybe it's just a minority (probably), but still.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Svip
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Svip »

Koub wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:44 am
Unknow0059 wrote:
The thing is that Factorio players are expert nitpickers, and depending on a whole array of factors change the "items per second" number when items are grabbed from a belt (belt speed, belt shape, item spread on the belt, which line of the belt, even belt orientation), plus the distance they pick from, the distance where they drop, ... If items per second were written in the whateverpedia, first thing we would get is complaints that "that's not true, my tick precise setup doesn't work". Maybe it's just a minority (probably), but still.
What's the use of a number, if it's mostly wrong? You cannot write "items per second" for inserters, because - as you point out - it depends on a lot of things. Now, they could list some ideal situations, like chest to chest, perpendicular green belt to chest, and then use the current stack/bulk/hand bonus you have. But then you need to make a choice for which situations you chose to list.

Alternatively, once an inserter is placed, when the player hovers over it, it could show them the ideal "items per second" for its current placement. That would at least solve the issue of "what situations to list", but then someone installs Bob's inserters, and suddenly the calculator doesn't know what to do. They are hard to calculate (but not impossible), and usually calculated by players based on observations. So it's also a question of whether it's worth the devs' time.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Koub wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:44 am
Unknow0059 wrote:
I honestly believe, that that is a situation similar to speedrunners. I appreciate the subcommunities existing, I appreciate people doing and calculating stuff nobody else could, but same as with assembler speed, there definitely should be a human-friendly tooltip and entry, not an obscure formula for tick-correct setups.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “News”