Friday Facts #413 - Gleba

Regular reports on Factorio development.
gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #413 - Gleba

Post by gGeorg »

Looks very alienic and organic.
Game play map of new worlds is way smaller than orriginal one ?
When you talk about red area, it means you can travel around the world? I mean go to east from you base then you travel around globe so after while come to base again ?
What about enemies ?

morse
Inserter
Inserter

Post by morse »

Will we start growing our production buildings like zergs instead of building them?

DeepSpaced
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DeepSpaced »

This is absolutely beautiful! Incredible work! Can't wait to walk (slog) around on Gleba. Hoping for nice rainfall as ambient sounds.

I hope the buildings get all mossy with time. Maybe have to worry about the plants just digesting belts and stuff.

So curious about the creatures!

Ghulmeister
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ghulmeister »

i cant wait to utterly ruin the entire ecosystem of this lush green planet!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

RAIN!!!! :mrgreen:
And the rain effects on the water...!

Oh, and the rest of the artwork looks good, too. :P :lol:

----------------------------------------------
husnikadam wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 11:28 am
Oh my God, can't wait for all the animations, life and sounds! I wish the ghostly biome was glowing in the night with many small sharp light sources, somewhat like fireflies leaves. Similarly like in the Avatar movie. When the planet is full of life, you might also show it during the night! <3
Aye, I'd like to see some night time glowing, too!

Melerion wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 11:36 am
And can you even build stuff on the ground as is if the natural foundation is rotting away beneath your feet?
I was wondering this same thing. Would be awesome to have something that you can build concrete on without needing landfill, but can't build on it normally (without the concrete).

JackTheSpades wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 12:07 pm
The only way to automatically get rid of wood is to burn it in a furnace
Boilers for backup power and trains/cars/tanks, too, but yeah, I'd like some method of turning wood into oil or petrol directly.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Dmytrozern
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dmytrozern »

SnowZyDe wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 1:59 pm
Wow. That's lovely
Mostly a vanilla player. Enjoy extreme railworld deathworlds with a 5x+ tech price.

Dmytrozern
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dmytrozern »

Wow, the amount of work to create all those sprites...Great job, guys! You did nail down the feel of being lush and alien at the same time! And if those "trees" are placeholders, I wonder what comes next!

I wonder if there will be some atmospheric or post-processing effects that will change the mood depending on pollution levels. Considering how you did dust and nebulas in space, I suppose it's possible to add smog over your base and all the surroundings when you pollute heavily. That would really make the player feel the difference in what he does.
Mostly a vanilla player. Enjoy extreme railworld deathworlds with a 5x+ tech price.

TBC_x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TBC_x »

Nice job! I can't wait for what the final sprites will look like.

I hope the final mix of the soundtrack will leave out the alternating music in left and right channel at the beginning. That thing is so pronounced, it is awful.

MP23
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MP23 »

Amazing stuff as usual!

I am a bit concerned about the rain shader in front, I know you mentioned it will be tweaked in the future, but I feel it is quite "bad" at the moment (at least compared to the rest).
With asteroids recently and with nuclear explosions in the past, you always took extra care with the perspective to be "correct". Some people might not be able to put it into words, but when perspective is not right, it can quickly break immersion and be very bad for overall quality.
If it makes sense, the "angle" of the rain is wrong, which breaks the perspective and for me (currently) it does more bad than good. As it stands, I would prefer to turn it off in order to not break the immersion.
I think something similar to the rain shader in Stardew Valley would be much better ! (Rain drops being interrupted in the location of the ground plane)

I wonder how the machines will match with such a vibrant background (will they look out of place ?), but I am sure you guys have probably already worked on that aspect.

I am super excited, I agree with other users that this is an aspect of the game which has been missing, and what you show so far looks amazing!

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

If it's as swampy as you described, I guess there will be penalty to movement speed or maybe it will even interfere with some of vehicles?
Nice looking planet and I would make it my new home if I wasn't stuck half way in the mud. There were never as important to destroy all the nature and concrete everything. Not that we need any encouragement ;-)
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Mango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mango »

This gives me strong RPG necromancer wibes. Burn aliens with my Legendary flamethrower and animate their skeletons to work in my factory. :twisted:
Hm.... so we have a mystery donor... intriguing.

Platinius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Platinius »

pleegwat wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 11:20 am
Somehow, this feels like it needs its own building appearances. Anything you put down would be covered by something alive in no time.
That would be amazing, it would also distinguish the Planet even after the concrete. It could also apply to the other planets, like volcanic ash on Vulcanus and Slick (?) on Fulgora.

It would probably need to be procedural (moddable?), but that sounds possible with the new shaders.

der-dave.com
Inserter
Inserter

Post by der-dave.com »

Endless loop through video because of lovely music.
So much HYPED now, feels very good!

SergeyMetlov
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SergeyMetlov »

I couple of immediate suggestions I have after watching the video. These type of biomes definitely need more idle animation. Trees' movements on Nauvis are fine and minimalistic, but here we have much much more organic things. Definitely expect to feel more "movements" in this kind of surrounding.

Next, it must not turn into Nauvis when the factory grows. I mean probably covering it all in concrete should still be allowed, but some fungi and moss must definitely find it's way our through the floor. It could slowly "consume" the factory visually (floor and buildings) reminding where we are. Alternatively, some parts of the terrain could be non-destructible so the player is forced to build around the natural obstracles which will leave some parts naturally naked.

Also, don't know about the others, but some "trees" trigger my tripophobia. Should definitely do something with that.

In the rest, it looks and feels absolutely beautiful. I love the idea and the new biomes. Just want it to be much more "alive" than Nauvis and it's gonna be a banger.

SergeyMetlov
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SergeyMetlov »

Just thought maybe this planet's enemies would be... Plants? Like non-moveable tree-like structures growing next to your factory. And if you don't address them timely, not only they would block a ton of building space, but eventually "consume" the buildings either putting a massive penalty on them, or dropping the quality or disabling all together. Maybe something more interesting that just growing and firing exploding fruits on you.

BEEFE
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BEEFE »

Fungus world! Fungus world! I don't have coherent thoughts I just love fungus!!!!

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

This is BEGGING for glowing fungus. It'd look so awesome in the overcast weather.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

SnowZyDe wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 1:59 pm
Looks nice, but what is it from? Is it a mod?
SergeyMetlov wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 7:13 pm
Just thought maybe this planet's enemies would be... Plants? Like non-moveable tree-like structures growing next to your factory. And if you don't address them timely, not only they would block a ton of building space, but eventually "consume" the buildings either putting a massive penalty on them, or dropping the quality or disabling all together. Maybe something more interesting that just growing and firing exploding fruits on you.
Yes I agree, as I was reading the FFF I got the impression that nature would be one of the obstacles (and maybe it will be), but the final lines about "stomp, stomp, stomp" and waves crashing makes me think it'll be something else. The concept of "nature growing exploding/poisonous fruit and firing it at the player/factory" has kind of been done to death in other games, so I hope it's something a bit different.
Drury wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2024 7:57 pm
This is BEGGING for glowing fungus. It'd look so awesome in the overcast weather.
Yes, glowing fungus at night would be amazing. Other games have done very nice depictions of glowing fungus.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I like how at the exact moment when the alien would be visible on the video, it's also too zoomed out and turn to map view so they stay un-revealed and one can peak at the map as a consolation prize x).
Nicely done !

I really appreaciate the music, but also it was reassuring to read that it was not finished :D, it feel to me the attack of some notes is too strong sometimes and it isn't seemless, maybe it's an illusion caused by knowing how it was done. I have no doubt i'll appreciate the "final?" mix, it gets more and more exciting every reveal to think that this soundtrack will last for as long as game :)

I think it make sense for the reveal of the planet atmosphere and look to occurs in a FFF alone, before any gameplay relation is shown, but i'd be curious to know if it was the reasonning behind the creation of the planet, the desire to have a biological planet, for its atmosphere and look, or if it was more driven by gameplay mechanic that require the planet to look like it could sustain it and justify its existence in the fictionnal world.

I prefer the look of the cliff on this one than on Vulcanus, i'm surprised to see their are still wip, they look like piles of shells to me, which make total sense in a biological planet :)

After some research i think Gleba is related to mushrooms, and i think the many roots on the planet look like mycelium, some places look like creep, the whole description adds to the feel that the planet itself may be aware of the presence of the engineer .... ^^

I like the rain existing in the game, because for now, there are only clouds if i'm not wrong, maybe Nauvis will have some rain too ? :D and can the rain be made into snow ? So far the list is Vulcanus Fulgora Gleba ... Aquilo? ( not shown but name on a music sheet ?) and i can't help thinking that the last planet will be a snow planet. I'd need to see it to stop thinking otherwise.

I think i'm getting unreasonnably excited at every FFF, this planet is the first i want to explore, rather than first considering the practical things, like ressources & energy, it really look beatiful, but for mushroom to me usually it's sign one has to be careful :p

Tercicatrix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tercicatrix »

This is the first time I've regretted reading a FFF. I feel like I'm spoiling the expansion for myself, this new planet looks so amazing

Return to β€œNews”