Supporting the creation of mods that are incompatible with the base mod

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Supporting the creation of mods that are incompatible with the base mod

Post by Bilka »

Some modders around here may have tried creating a mod that is incompatible with the base mod. Maybe just for fun, maybe as a serious idea. Most likely you will have run into the game yelling at you that it needs an instance of xyz prototype or it wont load. So you have to create all those prototypes, just to test your mod. Creating dummy prototypes is tedious and really not what you want to do when you're creating your own content. And here my mod comes to assist you: You no longer have to create dummy prototypes, because I have created them for you!

Minimal mod allowing incompatibility with the base mod provides all prototypes that are needed to load the game with the base mod disabled.

If you want to make your own mod that is incompatible with the base mod, you can simply have my mod also enabled and the game won't miss any prototype types, no need for your own dummy prototypes. Alternatively, you can take my mod and add your content on top of it, or copy out all the prototypes you need for your mod to load and then throw the remaining ones into the trash bin. I chose MIT as the license so you have all the freedom to copy, modify and redistribute the mod code, but please do include the license notice (as per the license). You can easily browse the mod code on https://github.com/Bilka2/minimal-no-base-mod.

As mentioned on the mod portal, the mod removes nearly all features from the game, gameplay is not really possible with only this mod enabled. This also means that any properties provided by the mod cannot be re-used by other mods 1:1, as graphics are empty and properties just set to senseless values (mostly "1") simply to make the game load.

I hope this takes away some of the barrier to creating mods that completely overhaul the game by being incompatible with the base mod.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Supporting the creation of mods that are incompatible with the base mod

Post by Hiladdar »

Thank you. I can see where this new capability will allow for more creative mods in the future, such as Sea Block.

Hiladdar

Rafiz
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Supporting the creation of mods that are incompatible with the base mod

Post by Rafiz »

I'm very happy about that :) I was one day wondering why can't you turn base mod off, like in some other games, but this will be "some" way to do so.

Return to “Modding discussion”