Reduce water volume to 1/10th

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Reduce water volume to 1/10th

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I want a mod which cuts all water amounts in recipes and in storage and production to 1/10th, so that it takes up less space. The amounts of water used in a lot of processes seem like comically high amounts, oil processing in particular is weird because a lot of oil products seem to contain more water than oil. And transporting water as a liquid is particularly tedious. I think that the Space Exploration mod suggests that Earendel agrees with me because the mod has water ice for easier transportation of water, and one stack of water ice contains 20,000 water, unlike a stack of barrels which contains only 500 fluid units.

The mod should ideally be a global command which affects all recipes and sources of liquid water. For example, this means that if I used the mod with Space Exploration, a unit of water ice would melt down to produce 10 units of water as opposed to the base value of 100, and a stack of water ice would hold 2000 water. Also, you would consume 6 units of water per second in a boiler to create 60 steam per second, meaning steam will finally have a lower density than water, as it should.

camela_camera
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Reduce water volume to 1/10th

Post by camela_camera »

- do you know how much water real-world industrial processes use to make various things, e.g electronics? it's a lot. like, a lot more than your computing device could contain. like... a lot more. even if a laptop had as much water percentage as a watermelon it would still be such a fraction

- SE water ice exists at the intersection of "let's have waterless worlds" and "let's not reinvent all of our recipes to use less water and more other resources in the metaphorical, emotionally evocative ways that factorio datas distantly resemble the real world"

- 1 item is not 1 liter of item (would not make sense with 60 water = 60 steam), nor is it 1 kilogram of item (although it would make sense here). you gotta understand that most numbers in factorio are metaphors

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

camela_camera wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:20 pm
- do you know how much water real-world industrial processes use to make various things, e.g electronics? it's a lot. like, a lot more than your computing device could contain. like... a lot more. even if a laptop had as much water percentage as a watermelon it would still be such a fraction

- SE water ice exists at the intersection of "let's have waterless worlds" and "let's not reinvent all of our recipes to use less water and more other resources in the metaphorical, emotionally evocative ways that factorio datas distantly resemble the real world"

- 1 item is not 1 liter of item (would not make sense with 60 water = 60 steam), nor is it 1 kilogram of item (although it would make sense here). you gotta understand that most numbers in factorio are metaphors
One exception I would say in relation to this game is steam power generation. Irl, the steam is cooled back down to water with only some loss, not consuming/losing 100% of it. :D

But otherwise I pretty much agree with the rest.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

camela_camera
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by camela_camera »

thinking it over, i'm thinking that it would be more fun to increase steam volume to 10x. steam tank batteries r OP
FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:30 pm
One exception I would say in relation to this game is steam power generation. Irl, the steam is cooled back down to water with only some loss, not consuming/losing 100% of it. :D

it kinda fits with the cobbled together patchwork technology aesthetic, why build parts to condense steam when you could release it into a giant cloud? we don't simulate rain and mud here

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensin ... locomotive it looks like trains typically don't condense, because the kind of condenser you can fit in a train reduces the efficiency, but power stations and ships do condense to extract maximum heat

if you want this tech, SE's condenser turbine gives 99% of water back at a cost of being 75% efficient

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:48 am
thinking it over, i'm thinking that it would be more fun to increase steam volume to 10x. steam tank batteries r OP
So, like have 1 unit of water turn into 10 units of steam, but also each unit of steam is 1/10th the heat capacity? Yeah, I could see that.
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:30 pm

it kinda fits with the cobbled together patchwork technology aesthetic, why build parts to condense steam when you could release it into a giant cloud? we don't simulate rain and mud here

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensin ... locomotive it looks like trains typically don't condense, because the kind of condenser you can fit in a train reduces the efficiency, but power stations and ships do condense to extract maximum heat
While you are correct about trains, as mentioned the others do (and Factorio trains are just straight burner engines, anyway). And while this game's technology aesthetics are "cobbled together", it's also futuristic. I personally find it hard to believe it would have 100% loss, but it's not something I'm losing sleep over. If the mood strikes me, I might see if someone has done a standalone mod for just that before (I feel like someone must've), or I may create my own.
if you want this tech, SE's...
Yeah, forgive me, but I don't have any desire to play SE. :)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

camela_camera
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by camela_camera »

Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:42 am
While you are correct about trains, as mentioned the others do (and Factorio trains are just straight burner engines, anyway). And while this game's technology aesthetics are "cobbled together", it's also futuristic. I personally find it hard to believe it would have 100% loss, but it's not something I'm losing sleep over. If the mood strikes me, I might see if someone has done a standalone mod for just that before (I feel like someone must've), or I may create my own.
i figured that factorio invented straight burner engine to deprive us of the fun of putting water towers on rail tracks every so many km

a condenser machine is gonna take up as much space as a steam engine itself. mod the steam engine to output low temperature steam, and make a condenser engine for low temperature steam?
if you want this tech, SE's...
Yeah, forgive me, but I don't have any desire to play SE. :)
hey, you make mods, you can extract the code from SE as a standalone :)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:16 am
i figured that factorio invented straight burner engine to deprive us of the fun of putting water towers on rail tracks every so many km
Hahaha, yes indeed. :D Soo much I wish they had done or allowed us modders to do with trains....

camela_camera
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by camela_camera »

oh hey there's a mod for steam trains https://mods.factorio.com/mod/steamtrainreupload

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:25 am
oh hey there's a mod for steam trains https://mods.factorio.com/mod/steamtrainreupload
Hey, that's cool that someone has kept those going. I'll have to check them out... and see about maybe integrating in support of their mods into a realism mod I've had but not released.

Return to β€œIdeas and Requests For Mods”