[Request] Burner Lamp

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Request] Burner Lamp

Post by Peter34 »

I think it'd be super nice to have an earlier-game Lamp that burns fuel, i.e. Wood and Coal, to light the early game night.

If someone could make such a small game mod, not only I would be grateful. A lot of Youtube let'splayers would benefit hugely from it as well.

My suggestion is a Burner Lamp that gives off a weaker light radius, maybe 2/3 that of an electric Lamp, and burns fuel at 45% the rate of the vanlla electric Lamps, as that would be proportional with the lit-up area of a 2/3 radius.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Request] Burner Lamp

Post by Koub »

This, totally ! I'm even surprised Marathon mod doesn't add it :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

I've done a bit of work on this. There's no entity that allows us to use fuel and craft nothing so I've based the lamp on a furnace. The lamp takes in "burner-components" and produces broken ones - I'll expand on this later.
These components are very cheap and last a long time so it doesn't effect gameplay much at all.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
What should burner components be?

Here's a VERY INCOMPLETE version:
Only use this if you want to check it out - will be updated in the next couple of days ;)
burner-lamp_0.0.1.zip
INCOMPLETE VERSION
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Still to add:
  • Technology requirements
  • Icons for burner components
  • Rename burner components
  • Add permanent recipes
  • BALANCING
  • Give broken components a purpose, or a way to bin them
  • Localize names
  • Remove redundant code
Not in a finalized state by any means, just wanted to know your opinions :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Thanks, I'll try it out, report back to you.

As for tech tree placement, I really think the Burner Lamp should be available to build from game start. It's very clearly an early game tech, something you use in the first 20-120 minutes of play, until you've electrified and built some Electric Lamps. Requiring the player to research anything before he can make Burner Lamps strikes me as silly.

Likewise, I don't see getting rid of the "broken component" byproduct of running a Burner Lamp as a problem, as Burner Lamps will only be used for the very early game phase. So the player can just dump all the components into 1 Wood Chest and shoot it.

I actually already do that with my Pistol, Iron Armor and Iron Axe, all at once, when I have all 3. I put them in my Wood Chest (my playstyle has me making 1 of those 30s into the game) then shoot it, to get rid of it, along with any Burner Miners I have. Just one Wood Chest - gone. So I'd do the same with any "broken components", and I think most other players would too. Therefore, it isn't a problem.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Peter34 wrote:Thanks, I'll try it out, report back to you.
Cheers mate! Thanks for your help :D
Peter34 wrote:As for tech tree placement, I really think the Burner Lamp should be available to build from game start. It's very clearly an early game tech, something you use in the first 20-120 minutes of play, until you've electrified and built some Electric Lamps. Requiring the player to research anything before he can make Burner Lamps strikes me as silly.
I completely agree! I never planned to gate the actual lamps by a tech - I was thinking maybe a way of recycling the components? You've made a good point on this though... :)
Peter34 wrote:Likewise, I don't see getting rid of the "broken component" byproduct of running a Burner Lamp as a problem, as Burner Lamps will only be used for the very early game phase. So the player can just dump all the components into 1 Wood Chest and shoot it.
That makes sense ;) I'll localise the names and stuff. I was thinking of adding a bin as well - it would help automate the process above and would make the mod useful even into the endgame. Just icons to add then? What should b-components be called? I was thinking bulbs or something but I don't know that it makes sense :?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

If you could add something for recycling used components it would be good. I can think about few cases (marathon/steampunk) where those lamps would be extremely useful and they would be used for a lot longer then few h :D

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

orzelek wrote:If you could add something for recycling used components it would be good. I can think about few cases (marathon/steampunk) where those lamps would be extremely useful and they would be used for a lot longer then few h :D
That's what I was thinking when I made it - I generally play with both of those installed :)
I'm hoping it will also be good for setting up outposts.

I was thinking kinda like the Air Filtering mod
  • Air filters are used as input
  • Which are then used up and output as used filters
  • Which can be recycled cheaply - much cheaper than crafting a new one.
Should the components work like this? Only the component recycling will need to be researched ;)

This should make it a viable solution for marathon games. :D

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”