[1.1.1] Power poles don't reconnect if built from ghosts as a result of biter attack

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.1.1] Power poles don't reconnect if built from ghosts as a result of biter attack

Post by wobbycarly »

I don't have any documented evidence, but I was playing 1.1.1 tonight, and a few of my mining outposts got attacked, and of course some stuff got destroyed. When I attended the scene, my trusty robots leapt from my power armor and quickly replaced the ruined miners, belts and (medium) power poles. However, much to my chagrin, the power poles didn't reconnect automatically! :o You can imagine my surprise! If I mined the poles and re-placed them in the same location, they did reconnect.

Not sure if relevant, but the original mines were built from a blueprint that was created prior to the latest "wiring-included-in-blueprint" update. However, I would expect that destroyed power poles in the world would reconnect after being placed by robots.

If required, I can probably attempt to replicate and provide additional data.

(Apologies if duplicate, but the search didn't help me...)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.1] Power poles don't reconnect if built from ghosts as a result of biter attack

Post by Loewchen »

Works flawless for me. If you can reproduce this, post steps that do please.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.1.1] Power poles don't reconnect if built from ghosts as a result of biter attack

Post by wobbycarly »

Weird. I tried to replicate this by throwing rockets at an outpost, but the powerpoles placed fine and reconnected automatically. I'll keep an eye out for further biter attacks and report back.

moogal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by moogal »

Possibly not helpful, but I'm having a suspiciously similar issue - not with biter attacks but with power poles built from ghosts. Seemingly at random, some connections are not made. It's not because there are too many connections (in most cases this is on a single run where each post only connects to 2 others) and not because of the distance either. Annoyingly it seems pretty sporadic so it's impossible to give steps to reproduce.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

I think this may be related to 91880

So probably an edge case due to migration.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

I have been able to replicate this. Save game in link.

To reproduce:
* Take the Spidertron to the east of the current save location, where you'll find some turrets and powerpoles that have been destroyed near the coal mine.
* I note that the ghosts don't show connections... possibly relevant?
* Let the remnants be rebuilt - no connection is made to the northern-most pole.
* Deconstruct the pole and rebuild it, and connections will be made. The pole can be hand-mined and hand-placed, or pulled up and placed by a robot.
destroyed pole.png
destroyed pole.png (2.68 MiB) Viewed 3383 times
reconstructed but disconnected pole.png
reconstructed but disconnected pole.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 3383 times
rebuilt and reconnected pole.png
rebuilt and reconnected pole.png (2.26 MiB) Viewed 3383 times
I've done a few load/saves so not sure if the log is useful, but it's also attached.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(28.03 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

If the ghost does not show connections then the destroyed entity did not have connections either and the replaced entity will not create new ones. This is all expected and not a bug.
I assume the original issue was that the ghosts got created in 1.0.0 and placed in 1.1.0.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:19 pm
If the ghost does not show connections then the destroyed entity did not have connections either and the replaced entity will not create new ones. This is all expected and not a bug.
I assume the original issue was that the ghosts got created in 1.0.0 and placed in 1.1.0.
So still just a migration issue, you suggest? Would explain the random and difficult-to-reproduce nature of it. That pole was definitely connected before it was destroyed, and almost certainly was built in 1.0.0.

Happy to close it off as a minor issue.

Durr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Durr »

I had this happen a couple times, with a mining outpost that I had created in 1.1.5 (the map was started in 1.1.0). Biters destroyed a power pole near my main base going to a new outpost and the bots rebuilt it without connections.

I'll try to reproduce the issue when I am able to play again.
Tired of manually backing up your saves? Check this out! -> Factorio Backup

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

I have another save file that causes this problem when migrating from 1.0.0 to 1.1.46. Definitely seems to be an issue of how to handle power pole ghosts that have no wire connection information, versus being explicitly set to not connect anything. Fixing this would appear to require changing the data structure so that each pole ghost has an "auto-connect=true" flag applied during migrations from ghosts/blueprints with no connection data at all. I guess this is why #91880 got moved to Won't Fix.

Return to “Pending”