Unable to create sprite ... probably not enough video memory

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
rEvolutionTU
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Unable to create sprite ... probably not enough video memory

Post by rEvolutionTU »

Hey there, my Factorio crashes after generating a new map via New Game with the following error message:

"Unable to create sprite (2560X1600) probably not enough of video memory."

Windows 7, 16GB RAM, GTX970 with 4GB VRAM, latest Dytech installed. Factorio 0.11.13 32bit via installer (64bit crashes for me on startup but that's a different issue).
  • max-texture-size flag seems to do nothing (I tried 2048 and 4096, MSI Afterburner shows VRAM going up to ~1000MB in either of those cases and not higher - without Dytech in the mod folder it goes up to ~780MB and works fine).
  • bitmap cache has no visible impact (I tried the highest and lowest settings, crash persisted).
  • What works is turning low graphics on (Afterburner then shows ~640MB VRAM used with Dytech enabled) or turning my desktop resolution to 1920x1200. Neither of those can be considered an actual solution however.
Thanks for your help in advance, tell me if there is any other information that might be useful. <3

PS: Google wasn't too helpful either. ;;

edit: After playing for ~25 minutes on 1920x1200 the game crashed again and the autosave isn't possible to load either (again VRAM shown in Afterburner hit 1k just before the crash). 1920x1200 and low graphics combined makes it work again, VRAM usage drops down to ~650MB. Savegame also loads fine @2560x1600 with low graphics.

From all I'm seeing here I'm pretty confident that if the max-texture-size flag would do what it claims it does this issue would be solved. To clarify, with a correct install this line is *not* part of the .ini and had to be added manually, right? Just wanting to make sure one of my reinstallations didn't screw something up.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Unable to create sprite ... probably not enough video me

Post by cube »

Thanks for such a detailed report. The problem here will be with the 32bit version, because that limits memory (regular ram, not vram) available to Factorio and all graphics has to be duplicated in regular memory as well as vram.
The max-texture-size option only controls atlases that contain in game sprites, not the actual rendering buffer (that might be a little confusing, I must admit :-) ).

The best option for you is to get 64bit version working. Crash on startup with 64bit sounds like a problem we had with missing service pack 1 on windows 7, but 0.11.13 should have a check for that. What is the error message exactly? Please post a Log file from the crashed 64bit run.

rEvolutionTU
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rEvolutionTU »

Thanks for the great response, it made me solve the issue entirely. 99% sure this will work for everyone ever running into this problem until mods reach insane sizes. =)

I decided to doublecheck the RAM values at which Factorio crashes because I couldn't imagine the difference between normal and low to be insane enough to maximize RAM. Here are the numbers I got for my modded game:

On low graphics Factorio is at 840MB after starting up, 950MB after starting a new game and 1050MB in a 15h save I have around.
On normal graphics it's at 1650MB post launch and after pressing New Game it crashes at 1700MB.

Since I was confident that that shouldn't happen even to a 32bit application I found out that you guys seem to just have missed to set Factorio to be Large Address Aware which allows a 32bit application under a 64bit OS to access more than 2GB of memory. I'm not sure how much exactly but iirc it's either 3.5GB or 4GB. Combine that with the max-texture-size flag and this should be solved assuming people are on a 64bit OS and actually have the RAM available.

Result: Factorio works fine on normal graphics. Memory hits 1740MB after starting a new game and happily chills at 1850MB in the 15h save mentioned above.

Modlist:
-Floors
-Dytech
-Landfill
-Resource Monitor
-Treefarm

About this error log for x64 however... um. Yeah. :3 ... Did I screw up registry entries with reinstalling a couple of times?

Code: Select all

2796.437340  Info Logger.cpp:149: 2015-01-27 19:33:23; Factorio 0.11.13 (Build 13133, win64)
2796.437373  Info Logger.cpp:153: Operating system: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
2796.437386  Info Paths.cpp:202: Read data path: C
2796.437395  Info Paths.cpp:203: Write data path: C
2796.437402  Info Paths.cpp:204: Binaries path: C

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

I'll try to convince kovarex to fix the large address thing.

The weird paths in the log messages are caused by a bug in our logger, that is already fixed for 0.11.14. For why it crashes, I'll open a bug report and let some windows people handle it :-)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I don't see a reason to make the 32 bit application able to use more memory on 64 bit system. On 64 bit system, the user is supposed to use the 64bit application.

So the bug is, that the 64 bit version doesn't work for you (although you have the service pack installed).

The bug that the log doesn't show the path correctly is something we have fixed for 0.11.14 (along some other fixes of the path handling, mainly for paths containing non-asci characters).

The only solution I can think of is to make the game produce dumps that we would inspect.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Can you please try it now in the 0.11.14? There should be the stack trace of the crash in the log now.

evoweek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Unable to create sprite ... probably not enough video memory

Post by evoweek »

Same problem Unable to create sprite (2048X2048) probably not enough of video memory."

Windows 7, 3.5GB RAM, GT610 with 1GB VRAM, Factorio 0.11.20 32bit via installer
Mods: Dytech latest . bob mod latest , uranium power and Tree farm mod how to solve?

Return to “Pending”