[MOD API] Expand the EnergySource with a 'solar' type

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
everything-narrative
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD API] Expand the EnergySource with a 'solar' type

Post by everything-narrative »

TL;DR
Add a 'solar' type to the EnergySource prototype, allowing for entitties that generate free power with the same intensity curve/duty cycle pattern as vanilla solar panels.
What ?
Currently there is no way to define custom solar-powered entities without resorting to silly Lua-based workarounds. The proposed EnergySource type would basically be a 'void' energy source with that same day-night intensity curve (70% duty-cycle) as vanilla solar panels.
Why ?
There are currently several mods implementing various kinds of solar-powered entities which do not fall under the SolarPanel prototype, which all have to work around this shortcoming of the EnergySource interface.

kizrak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD API] Expand the EnergySource with a 'solar' type

Post by kizrak »

I would really love to see this too ! 🧡

Thanks!
-Kizrak

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD API] Expand the EnergySource with a 'solar' type

Post by Impatient »

Having studdied the EnergySource prototype, I also +10 this request. Factorio API does not allow for a solar energy boiler. This is, ... well incomprehsnible to me, as all the mechanics for it are available in the game.

I know the Lua prototypes most likely are wrappers for the internal c++ classes or structs or functions libraries or whatever you use to keep track of a gazillion entities. And these are well optimizedfor sure. Providing a separate solar energy source module like the other energy sources might be an opportunity to further enable modders though.

Return to “Modding interface requests”