How can I create a sprite for a new entity?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
_Ax_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How can I create a sprite for a new entity?

Post by _Ax_ »

Hi, I'm trying to learn how to mod factorio and I don't understand how to make the grapich for a new building. :D

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: How can I create a sprite for a new entity?

Post by Hiladdar »

Hi,

There are some excellent examples of sprites within the Factorio itself. Just take a look at where Factorio is installed, ../base/graphics. There are several folders full of graphics used within the game. The other thing you can do is download some mods which include graphics and take a look at how that was done and learn from that.

In summery, you need graphics tools like Bender or Gimp, both of which are have full versions distributed for free, and do not lock you down with cumbersome fees, licencing agreements, or limited functionality for free trial versions. Situationally, PC Paint and Paint 3D can be used. Personnally, I use Gimp and PC Paint / Paint 3D.

I will not go into a long write up on what and how to do, since there are way better graphic artists them me. That in itself is a learning process about as complex as learning programming to be able to program a mod. There are also many tutorials and explanation available on the internet for how to create graphics using either Bender and Gimp. Once the graphics are done and in the correct format for Factorio, they will have to be correctly referenced from within the mods code.

A good start is to take the graphics distributed within Factorio, and modify it, and use it within your mod. If you want to include something really cool that another mod developer did, make sure that you have permission from the mod owner/graphic artist, and make sure you provide attribution to the artist/developer.

Hiladdar

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How can I create a sprite for a new entity?

Post by darkfrei »

_Ax_ wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:16 am
Hi, I'm trying to learn how to mod factorio and I don't understand how to make the grapich for a new building. :D
Just write the request here viewforum.php?f=15

Or with blender: viewtopic.php?t=5336 and viewtopic.php?t=3985#p29571

Return to “Modding help”