[kovarex] [0.17.48] Train waiting on disabled station

Bugs that are actually features.
almania
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[kovarex] [0.17.48] Train waiting on disabled station

Post by almania »

A train waiting on an enabled, inaccessible, station did not start moving when that station became disabled. I had to manually tell it to skip the stop.

New in 0.17.48 I believe, if this is the new norm it will likely break my whole train network :(

To clarify: station in orders is not on the same train network, by design.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17.48] Train waiting on disabled station

Post by Loewchen »

Post a save where this can be observed please.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.48] Train waiting on disabled station

Post by kovarex »

Exactly, make as simple example as possible please. When you say it is "waiting on an enabled, inaccessible, station", it doesn't make sense to me, as how can it wait on a station that is inaccassbible.
Maybe you mean, that it is not moving, and is in the "NO PATH" error state, but I'm just guessing here, this is why the small save might be best.

almania
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.48] Train waiting on disabled station

Post by almania »

Sorry, hate to be that guy, just didn't get a chance to, hoped it might click. Here's a test case - 100% reproducible sadly. If you go back a few versions (I think just 2) it'll start working for sure.

In the save that the station the train is waiting on is disabled. It's also inaccessible, but that did not use to matter. And yes, I know. But it's a useful feature, allowing you to make trains wait remotely until a condition is true, whilst I believe the new way offers no utility. The alternative would involve a lot of wiring too, so I hope it can be fixed/reverted. Thank you.
Attachments
BrokenTrainStations.zip
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 82 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

So basically you want, that when train is stuck on not being able to find a path, it should un-stuck when the target station gets disabled so it skips it and continues.

This is rather special hack. It probably stopped working because some of the code was cleaned up, and we removed some wasteful repathing in different cases.
I prefer to leave it as it is, and you can figure out how to solve it different, use some mods. We have a nice plan how to extend the powerfulness of the train logic, but it wouldn't be done until we finish 1.0

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

kovarex wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 am
So basically you want, that when train is stuck on not being able to find a path, it should un-stuck when the target station gets disabled so it skips it and continues.

This is rather special hack. It probably stopped working because some of the code was cleaned up, and we removed some wasteful repathing in different cases.
I prefer to leave it as it is, and you can figure out how to solve it different, use some mods. We have a nice plan how to extend the powerfulness of the train logic, but it wouldn't be done until we finish 1.0
Huh? A train should always skip to the next station if the current station is disabled. Weather that station was reachable or not should not matter.

This change means that trains will randomly get stuck in the middle of the network when you have stations that are enabled by circuit conditions and you are placing or removing rails or signals (as that will cause no-path states). It would break players rail setup unpredictably.

What if the current station (being un-reachable) is deconstructed? Do you skip to the next then?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

These cases are covered, removing stop that is target of a path, or adding/removing rails or signals forces path recalculation.

almania
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by almania »

May have to break my mod virginity on the map then, rather like staying vanilla :(. Understandable though, and excited to hear that there's more in store for train orders - the limitations are a little frustrating without these hacks currently.

Thank you for looking in to it though :).

Return to “Not a bug”