[0.14.21] Items picked up doesn't stack with inventory

Bugs that are actually features.
Ivajl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.14.21] Items picked up doesn't stack with inventory

Post by Ivajl »

I have recently experienced that when picking up an item, it is put in an empty slot in the toolbelt even when i have more of that item in my inventory.
E.g. I just picked up an inserter that was holding an assembler. The assembler was put in an empty slot in my toolbelt rather than in my inventory, where i already had several assemblers of same type.

I dont know if this is a bug or a feature, but I think that when picking up an item it should always be put in an existing stack ( unless that stack is full ofc. )

Btw. I'm playing vanilla

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.14.21] Items picked up doesn't stack with inventory

Post by mexmer »

if you pickup factory or tool, it gets to appropriate slot (either equipment or toolbar), if it's empty, when stack in toolbar is full, then it's put to inventory.

only materials, fuel and intermediates don't go to toolbar, even if it has empty slot.

Ivajl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ivajl »

I'm not sure you get what i mean, if I pick up something i already have in my inventory/backpack I would expect it to go to the inventory and not to the toolbar.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

As mexmer said.
Entities that are buildable will go to the toolbar by default, even if there already is a non-full stack of them in the inventory. This is by design and not a bug.

If you think this should be handled differently then make a topic here: Ideas and Suggestions

How did your stack of assemblers end up in the inventory anyway if you still have space on the toolbar?
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Ivajl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ivajl »

How they ended up in inventory? I put them there?

Well, it it is a "feature" ;) then just close the topic

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Ivajl wrote:How they ended up in inventory? I put them there?

Well, it it is a "feature" ;) then just close the topic
I'm sorry for the harsh "why did it end up in your inventory anyway?" question. It's obvious it was because you put it there yourself.

It's just that buildable entities go to the toolbar if there's space for it by default and the devs have coded it this way deliberately, which makes it not a bug. Most players seem to prefer it that way and are accustomed to that behavior, if you want to change it then make a suggestion in the Ideas and Suggestions board and explain your reasoning. I'm sure that if lots of players agree with you and it adds to the usability of the game the devs will change it accordingly.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Ivajl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ivajl »

Hey no problem :)
I was just cleaning up ny toolbar and suddenly some showed up in the toolbar again.
I just can't remember seeing that before, is this a new/newish thing?

mwalimu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mwalimu »

Is the item that won't stack damaged? A damaged item won't stack with undamaged items of the same type. Try applying a repair kit to it and see if it stacks okay after that.

Return to “Not a bug”