Release: 2017-06-01
Tested With Factorio Version: 0.12.16
Category: UPS reduction
Tags: New Items
Download:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/msu320/c ... /downloads

About the mod:
Please read below for known issues
This is the 2nd mod I've made to reduce the ups impact of aspects of the game. This mod, in short, simulates a group of up to 60 furnaces, and 100 beacons in one pass. In tests I've gotten 3.3 million plates per minute without slowing down the game.

What the mod does:
The mod makes a few shortcuts to simulate things. Most notably, it uses an electric energy interface, which acts like an accumulator, to 'pre-purchase' the energy needed to run the furnace at 100% for a complete cycle. this allows for over 1000 craft cycles to be simulated at a low cpu cost.

Making a furnace group:
A furnace group requires:
1 core (the electric interface)
1-100 modified beacons
1-60 modified furnaces
1-4 input 'chests'
1-4 output 'chests'
A selection tool allows a player to select and create the group once entities are placed. Up to 360 groups can be made, each one handling 9600 ore per minute, and outputting 11520 plates per minute. A furnace is deactivated when a part of the group is either removed or destroyed, require recreated the group with the selection tool.

Known Issues:
  1. Theres no animations or sounds for the beacon/furnace buildings at the moment: any current solution add's too much to the ups cost to implement.
  2. I want new graphics for the entities at some point but lack the skills in blender. If anyone wants to spend the time to help out, that would be appreciated.
  3. there are few sanity checks on furnace groups besides quantity and overlapping, you can technically make a group that has pieces that are thousands of tiles apart.
  4. fast replace disables the furnace group
change log
License
Attachments
compound-furnaces_0.0.7.zip
(202.88 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Last edited by CmdrKeen on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15.12+] Compound Furnaces 0.0.6

Post by CmdrKeen »

*reserved*

CorBlimey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CorBlimey »

nice idea (haven't actually tried it as I have no need in my new-game yet to focus on UPS, but I've used equivalent ideas in other games that basically compound things together to reduce the number of actual in-game items for FPS reasons), but I think pollution implementation is definitely required so it doesn't feel 'cheaty'. In addition, I think it should perhaps have an option to output directly onto a belt in a compressed form, to make up for the fact that there are far fewer chests etc to do so (not sure if easy to code - maybe you can use an item or code from e.g. the loader entity). The chests aren't an issue if you are using bots but if you are using belts then having fewer 'exit' or unloading points is a big deal.

Basically, it should fully replicate the effects of its components.

Anyway, good luck and I'll keep an eye out for when my laptop starts to struggle again :mrgreen:

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CmdrKeen »

CorBlimey wrote: I think it should perhaps have an option to output directly onto a belt in a compressed form, to make up for the fact that there are far fewer chests etc to do so
I'm kind of expecting players to either directly unload from and onto trains, or to use a loader unlocker mod.
CorBlimey wrote: but I think pollution implementation is definitely required so it doesn't feel 'cheaty'.
Pollution is often disabled by people who would be likely to use this mod.

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CmdrKeen »

I have added pollution simulation after finding it has a negligible impact on simulation performance.

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15.12+] Compound Furnaces 0.0.12

Post by CmdrKeen »

Mod is abandoned as of today. The most recent version is attached.
Attachments
compound-furnaces_0.0.12.zip
(203.93 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Return to “Mods”