Topics and discussion about specific mods
MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.14] What is it used for?

Post by MrDoomah »

Info:
  • Name: What is it used for?
  • Description: What is it use for is a tiny mod that helps you find out where items and fluids come from and where they are used.
  • License: MIT
  • Release: 2016-09-23
  • Category: Helper Mods
  • Download-Url: Direct link to the mod portal
Images
Last edited by MrDoomah on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.14] What is it used for?

Post by aubergine18 »

That's a pretty cool idea, and great for learning game.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

I just added the 1.0.1 version to my heavilty modded game and I'm not seeing that image on screen. Could it be due to having a ton of other icons from other mods there?

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

OH, THANK GOD. I wanted a "WHERE USED" function sooooooooooo badly. Angel's and Bob's go insane with the amount of things I need to keep in my head.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

hoho wrote:I just added the 1.0.1 version to my heavilty modded game and I'm not seeing that image on screen. Could it be due to having a ton of other icons from other mods there?
Posted much the same on the mod portal discussion area. My Dytech save and Bobs save are not showing the icon. Closer to stock saves do.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

It looks like it will only work for new characters.

Drop this in control.lua somewhere and it will work when installing it into existing saves. (if doing this for personal use before an official update you will need to load your save with the mod uninstalled and save)

Code: Select all

script.on_init(function()
	for _, player in pairs(game.players) do
		if not player.gui.top["wiiuf_flow"] then
			local flow = player.gui.top.add{type = "flow", name = "wiiuf_flow", direction = "vertical"}
			flow.add{type = "sprite-button", name = "looking-glass", sprite = "looking-glass", style = "slot_button_style", tooltip = {"top_button_tooltip"}}
		end
	end
end)

script.on_configuration_changed(function()
			local flow = player.gui.top.add{type = "flow", name = "wiiuf_flow", direction = "vertical"}
			flow.add{type = "sprite-button", name = "looking-glass", sprite = "looking-glass", style = "slot_button_style", tooltip = {"top_button_tooltip"}}
		end
	end
end)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Also I will be making use of this :)

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

interesting mod. defint must have for me. i one issue i have found is if its used with bobs mods and/or angels petrochem there are far to many chemicals displayed in one colum and it runs off screen. i was able to adjust it by changing line 125 in control from colspan = 1 to colspan = 5.

local fluids_table = flow.add{type = "table", colspan = 5, name = "fluids_table", style = "slot_table_style"}
there is the whole line with the change

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

Nexela wrote:It looks like it will only work for new characters.

Drop this in control.lua somewhere and it will work when installing it into existing saves. (if doing this for personal use before an official update you will need to load your save with the mod uninstalled and save)

script.on_init(function()
		end
	end
end)

script.on_configuration_changed(function()
		end
	end
end)
Doh, I made that rookie mistake again xD. I always forget about excising games. See update 1.0.2 in a few minutes

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

kingarthur wrote:interesting mod. defint must have for me. i one issue i have found is if its used with bobs mods and/or angels petrochem there are far to many chemicals displayed in one colum and it runs off screen. i was able to adjust it by changing line 125 in control from colspan = 1 to colspan = 5.

local fluids_table = flow.add{type = "table", colspan = 5, name = "fluids_table", style = "slot_table_style"}
there is the whole line with the change
Is fixed in update 1.0.2. You can download it through the modportal.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

It passed the stress test :D

Will definitely recommend this mod with my mods.

Could you display the recipes as hoverable icons as well instead of plain text?
Attachments
fluids.png
fluids.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 16144 times

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

Arch666Angel wrote: Could you display the recipes as hoverable icons as well instead of plain text?
I don't really know what you mean by that? I don't this it is possible to show icons in chat.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

MrDoomah wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote: Could you display the recipes as hoverable icons as well instead of plain text?
I don't really know what you mean by that? I don't this it is possible to show icons in chat.
The same you do with the fluid selection, but with the recipe results so one could browse the recipes said item is used in

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

Yeah, someone on the modportal said the same. I'll consider working on it.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

MrDoomah wrote:Yeah, someone on the modportal said the same. I'll consider working on it.
Your mod is awesome as it is, I suggested something like that to someone on discord a week ago or so, so I'm really geeked about it :) but it would be a bit more visually pleasing
Last edited by Arch666Angel on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Also a request to move the "liquid" table portion to gui.left

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

Nexela wrote:Also a request to move the "liquid" table portion to gui.left
Could you explain why?
I intentionally placed that list near the looking glass button so the travel distance from this button to the liquid table would be minimal. Since the liquids table isn't meant to be open for long times or to be accessed very frequently, I personally don't see a reason why gui.left would be a better position than gui.top."next to the button".

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

New update: v1.1.0 released!
  • Gui interface, no longer will your massive recipe list scroll off your screen!
  • Search bar: Search for items that you want to know more about. Please note that it doesn't use localised names, but internal names, so it might not find what you are looking for.
  • Hotkey: Press CTRL + F with an item in your hand to directly show that item's information, press CTRL + F with an empty hand to open the search bar.
See the images in the top post for some explanation. There is no image for the fluid interface, but it is still there.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

A W E S O M E ! ! !

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Not Awesome :(

upgraded from previous version.

No icon at top of screen which leads toooo.

Missing sanity check. With nothing in your hand press keybind (which is the same as autofill's btw : so I changed inspector to ctrl-I in mod control settings))
Error MainLoop.cpp:759: Exception at tick 3816954: Error while running event inspect_item (ID 71)
__what-is-it-used-for__/control.lua:299: attempt to index field 'search_flow' (a nil value)

Return to “Mods”