binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 0.13] Water Well - pump water from the underground

Post by binbinhfr »

Infos
  • Type: Mod
  • Name: WaterWell
  • Description: Adds a water well pump, to pump fresh water from the underground (also called the groundwater table).
  • Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.13.0
  • Locale: english, french, german, polish, spanish, russian, czech
  • Multiplayer compatible: tested on a headless server...
  • Tags: Water, Well, Pump
  • License: You are free to use and distribute this mod and also to modify it for personal use, but not to release a modified version without permission (unless visibly not maintained anymore).
  • Portal download : https://mods.factorio.com/mods/binbinhfr/WaterWell
waterwell1-screencopy.jpg
waterwell1-screencopy.jpg (11.94 KiB) Viewed 51254 times
Description
Download
For Factorio 0.13.X :
Please now use the portal for downloads (see link above or use ingame mod install/update), as I won't update both downloads links here anymore.

note that at early stages of the game, you can use the Aquifer drill, that has been written almost at the same time ! :)
Last edited by binbinhfr on Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 35 times in total.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [MOD 0.12.29+] Water Well

Post by Koub »

Water at starting point maps, here I am again \o/
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Bug: It can't be powered by accumulators and prevents them from charging and other not so fun stuff. Basically it doesn't play nice at all with accumulators.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Qon wrote:Bug: It can't be powered by accumulators and prevents them from charging and other not so fun stuff. Basically it doesn't play nice at all with accumulators.
Sounds like a side effect of using the (misspelled) "terciary" Energy-Priority.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Qon wrote:Bug: It can't be powered by accumulators and prevents them from charging and other not so fun stuff. Basically it doesn't play nice at all with accumulators.
Yes, I left a bad energy type from previous testings... I corrected the energy type to secondary (thanks superchesese) :-) . It should work now. Please download 1.0.1

What other bugs or "not so fun stuff" are you talking about ? Maybe I can correct them too ?

By the way, I'm working on a way to limit the production to a certain amount of time/quantity, to simulate the depletion of the well. Maybe also I will reduce the amount of water extracted, that should be less than a pump pumping from a lake, no ?

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

binbinhfr wrote: By the way, I'm working on a way to limit the production to a certain amount of time/quantity, to simulate the depletion of the well.
A well generally doesnt run dry unless the entire local ecosystem has changed. You dig down till you hit the water level. Using water takes from that but the well fills right back up until it hits the surrounding water level. Depleting the water level of the surrounding ground itself is something that takes years or decades. Effectively not something that would occur within the time span of a game.

Now if you wrote some perlin noise function that would generate ground water levels for different sectors that would be INTERESTING, but I dont think it would add anything to the fun of playing.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

seronis wrote: A well generally doesnt run dry unless the entire local ecosystem has changed.
Well, my own little experience in my garden shows the contrary :-)
I have a well in my garden with 30 meters vertical pipe and a pump, and even if the underground water is still here, after a few years, the well can dry / collapse / get blocked / get clogged (I don't know the exact english word...), by dust / earth / limestone and the surrounding stone becoming less porous, and you have to pierce another well just at a few meters to get water again. That's what I wanted to simulate : not the disparition of the underground water, but the "usage" of the well.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

My home runs on well water too instead of city water. And yes the issues you mentioned do apply (and our well has had to be reconditioned once in the past 20 years) but its still on the timescale of a couple decades. And thats only because its a residential well with a capacity measured in the hundreds of gallons instead of 10s of thousands of gallons that commercial well would have.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

seronis wrote:My home runs on well water too instead of city water. And yes the issues you mentioned do apply (and our well has had to be reconditioned once in the past 20 years) but its still on the timescale of a couple decades. And thats only because its a residential well with a capacity measured in the hundreds of gallons instead of 10s of thousands of gallons that commercial well would have.
And the other reason why I want to add this limitation feature is Factorio's logic : nothing is supposed to be free :D I thought it would be nice to have a limitation, so that sometimes, water stops, and makes you stress a little bit, wondering why your production stopped somewhere ;) Infact I don't want to stop it completely but more dividing the production by 100, keeping just a little water dripping... Well maybe, I will offer the possibility to disable this feature in order to have an infinite well...

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Water Well

Post by binbinhfr »

Well depletion feature is not for now, but I released a 1.0.2 version that should be compatible with multiplayer.
If someone can confirm that (I only play solo...).
download v1.0.2
Last edited by binbinhfr on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

apcnc
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Water Well 1.0.2

Post by apcnc »

german locale

Code: Select all

[item-name]
water-well-pump = Wasserbrunnenpumpe

[recipe-category]
water-well-production = Wasserbrunnenproduktion

[recipe-name]
water-well-flow = Wasserbrunnenfluss
water-well-flow-depleted = Wasserbrunnenfluss aufgebraucht

[entity-name]
water-well-pump-depleted = Wasserbrunnenpumpe aufgebraucht

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Water Well 1.0.2

Post by binbinhfr »

apcnc wrote:german locale
Thanks again for this mod translation too.
I never thought about locale other than english, but finally, I will integrate french locale, as this is my langage ;)

By the way, if you want a little more work, you can have a look at my last mod : Time Tools
Last edited by binbinhfr on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Water Well 1.0.3

Post by binbinhfr »

And so here is v1.0.3 :
Adds locale for german (thanks to Apcnc) and french (my own langage).
download v1.0.3

LubieArbuzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Polish Locale

Post by LubieArbuzy »

Polish locale (pl) ;)

[item-name]
water-well-pump = Podziemna pompa wodna

[recipe-category]
water-well-production = Pompowanie wody z podziemia

[recipe-name]
water-well-flow = Przeplyw wody z podziemia

[entity-name]

frenchiveruti
Inserter
Inserter

Post by frenchiveruti »

Spanish (es-ES) locale: :mrgreen:

[item-name]
water-well-pump = Bomba de agua

[recipe-category]
water-well-production = Extracción de agua

[recipe-name]
water-well-flow = Flujo de agua

[entity-name]

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Incredible all these new locale providers ! :-)
Is the factorio team behind these actions ? probably... They want to spread Factorio all over the world ;)
Anyway thanks, I'll add them in the next version.

frenchiveruti
Inserter
Inserter

Post by frenchiveruti »

binbinhfr wrote:Incredible all these new locale providers ! :-)
Is the factorio team behind these actions ? probably... They want to spread Factorio all over the world ;)
Anyway thanks, I'll add them in the next version.
I'm not a dev but I like just translating the mods as an OCD with multi-language games :P
It just bothers me to have the game talking me in two different languages.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Water Well 1.0.4

Post by binbinhfr »

So here is v1.0.4
Adds locale for polish (thanks to LubieArbuzy) and spanish (thanks to frenchiveruti).

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

binbinhfr wrote:And the other reason why I want to add this limitation feature is Factorio's logic : nothing is supposed to be free :D I thought it would be nice to have a limitation, so that sometimes, water stops, and makes you stress a little bit, wondering why your production stopped somewhere ;) Infact I don't want to stop it completely but more dividing the production by 100, keeping just a little water dripping... Well maybe, I will offer the possibility to disable this feature in order to have an infinite well...
Nothing is supposed to be free? Water is free though with the regular pump. This pump requires energy. If you make it unreliable then the aquifier drill will be superior. You might need 10 of them to get as much water, but you don't need 10 (random number) water tanks to give you water during a temporary dry period and you don't need to relocate your base every now and then because of permanent dry outs.

The water well will then exclusivly be used in temporary structures and it makes automation impossible. Factorio isn't about "everything costs". Factorio is about automation. If you like mods like marathon or no-handcrafting and other challenge mods and want this to be one of those, then go ahead. But then label it as a challenge mod and remove/nerf to uselessness the regular water pump in the mod or it's extremely pointless. I won't use it then if it is supposed to be useless and make the game more tedious though.

If it went dry only for short periods so that you are guaranteed at a minimum of 70% (or similar) performance 100% of the time if coupled with a single water tank then it could work. Then it would be a bit like solar panels + accumulators, or maybe even more like the wind turbine in KS_Power mod which has random performance but averages out at 67%~ performance realiably. You could probably even use some of Klonans turbine performance code and apply it to the water well. Unreliability that can be dealt with through some mechanism (like a water tank buffer) for reliability and which can be automated. That could make it more interesting. But if the game-day average isn't close to a regular pump and reliably never drops too low then the water well will be useless and no one will use it.

I like your work so far. Please continue to make improvements ;)

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Qon wrote: If it went dry only for short periods so that you are guaranteed at a minimum of 70% (or similar) performance 100% of the time if coupled with a single water tank then it could work.
I finally abandonned the idea of the well getting completely depleted, because after trying it, I found that it does not make the game more fun. You just have to rebuild the water well next to the old one and that's it... :-)

But your idea of random limited periods of dryness and necessary use of temporary tanks sounds good. I will work on it.

Return to “Mods”