Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] Tanks! for Bob!

Post by LCruel »

Mod-Info
  • Name: Tanks! For Bob
  • Version: 1.4.1
  • Factorio-Version: 0.12.x
  • Description: Adds research and vehicles (Tanks) to make players more effective to kill biters while driving a tank. I am balancing this mod to be played with "Bob's Enamies" and "Natural Evolution Expansion" mods.
  • License: Free to share and edit, no warranty, credits go to all involved developers/testers/players/artists
  • Release: 2016-5-7
  • Download-Url: https://github.com/LCruel/tanks_for_bob ... _1.4.1.zip
  • Dependencies: (Recommended) Bob's enemies, Natural Evolution Expansion, Cheaper rail and concrete (https://github.com/LCruel/cheaper_rail_ ... _1.0.0.zip)
  • Category: SimpleExtension
  • Tags: Vehicles
This mod was originally created by KonAir, I have picked up the support and expanding it. The tanks are currently balanced with the mods "Bobs enemies" and "Natural Evolution Expansion". We are currently playing a map with less resources and more aliens. Atm we haven't been able to successfully launch a rocket without running into a expansion/resource statemate.

Images of tanks in action
Flame tank
Auto cannon tank
Long description:
A tank mod that adds additional tanks and tank/vehicle features to factorio.

Adds:
Tanks
- Auto cannon tank, fast conventional tank with two tiers
- Flamer tank, fast flamer tank with two tiers
- Super tank, heavy all round tank
- Rocket tank, Fast mobile range rocket launcher (under going redesign)

Features
- Recall to tank teleporter tokens

Tank guns
- Auto cannon, will pass through objects like butter
- Battle cannon, stronger explosive shells
- Flamer, flame-thrower with two modes of fire
- Artillery, slow, high damage and long range shells
- Rocket launcher, fast and long range rockets
- Mine layer, faster way to deploy mines
- Machine gun, stronger then vanilla

Turrets
- Cannon turret, a flame-thrower turret (under development)

Dependencies:
This mod can be used with vanilla only, however it is balanced to play multi-player with "Bob's Enemies" and "Natural Evolution Expansion". This mod might be overpowered for vanilla Factorio.

Updates:
V1.4.1
- Added recall teleporter token, for speedy return to your tank of your selection
- Added gun turrets (under development) allows you to arm turrets with tank ammo. Atm I disabled all turrets except flame-thrower.
- Rebalanced: Artillery tank gun, now shoots less far and accurate. Now launches 4 shells.
- Recommendation, create backup save if you already had a game in progress. This update contains a lot of balancing changes in damage and production.

v1.3.0
- First public release

Note:
I have not been able to succeed to build a rocket playing this with two people with "Bob's Enemies" and "Natural Evolution Expansion". Around 80% evolution it starts to get really rough.

This mod formerly also included a mod to increase concrete and rail production. This has been split into its own mod that you can download from:
https://github.com/LCruel/cheaper_rail_ ... _1.0.0.zip
Last edited by LCruel on Sat May 07, 2016 6:23 am, edited 6 times in total.

dude2976
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Tanks! for Bob!

Post by dude2976 »

Hay what was changed from tank 0.0.9?

I am using a modded version of 0.0.9 and wanted to know what you changed!?

slothman320
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by slothman320 »

Is there a place where I can see what all this adds before I start putting this in my game?

LCruel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LCruel »

I'm not that much of a writer. Ill try and make a overview of the tanks and items, atm I am working on the next release. (The changes will mainly be rebalancing the tanks weapons so that they have a short range, medium range and long range gun.)

The difference between KonAirs version and Tanks for Bob is mainly rebalancing the weapons for stronger enemies. If you played his version on vanilla then these tanks will most likely be to strong. On the other hand the critter lairs are so weak in vanilla that personally I simply drive over them with the vanilla tank.
If and when I get the time I can add something to detect what version your playing to automatic balance the damage.

dude2976
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dude2976 »

Look at how 5dim did his mod detection ?

LCruel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LCruel »

Hej DUde,

I did look at the mod dependency, and it looked rather simple.

However thing I am struggling with is balance of vanilla aliens and spawning pools. I can reduce the damage in vanilla games however even a one quarter of a artillery shell will still kill a spawning pool and reducing it more would make the weapon ineffective against aliens.

So I am a soul searching what the values need to be to keep things interesting. One other idea I had for vanilla is to not only decrease the gun damage. But also increase the spawner HP.

However I am open for suggestions on this one.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

This mod -ALSO- multiplies the number of rails you get by 5, and the number of concrete you get by 10.

While that's not necessarily a bad change, the fact that you DIDN'T SAY YOU WERE DOING THIS anywhere in the mod description is quite annoying, because I already had a mod that does precisely that.

Now my rail and concrete recipes are messed up and one unit of iron and stone will produce 50 rails!
I personally can fix this because I know how to track down this change and then edit the mod, and then console commands to regenerate recipes, but other people might not.

You should say you're doing this, and provide a config switch to turn it off please.

Edit: If you do decide to tweak vanilla health of things to match this, I suggest increasing spawner HP because that will solve most of the problem without messing up compatibility with other mods that are adding new and tougher enemy types - and provide a config switch for those changes too, please!

frenchiveruti
Inserter
Inserter

Post by frenchiveruti »

What about a howitzer?

LCruel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LCruel »

frenchiveruti wrote:What about a howitzer?
I have been thinking about that, atm I am trying to find a way to create new types of projectiles. For example a projectile that will split up into smaller clusters bombs when reaching the target. The gameplay issue I have been having with pure long (tank with only one artillery cannon) is that you will be swamped by aliens and have no way to protect your self. I usually play multilayer so I have a buddy that can cover me, in single player that would be difficult. I also find my self simply firing short range while driving backwards full speed with the mortar gun. So I am looking for a way to reduce speed for a few seconds after firing and combining more guns into one tank.
Darloth wrote:This mod -ALSO- multiplies the number of rails you get by 5, and the number of concrete you get by 10.
True, ill port this out into a new mod or create a GUI to enable or disable it in-game. I am looking into what types of values I can keep after loading a save file.

SBKillerDram
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SBKillerDram »

Hey i downloaded your mod a couple days ago and i got around to making the tanks and i built myself a super tank A and in it the 3rd gun(artillery) says item-name.tank-cannon-2 is not found. I opened ur code and looked thru it and I found in the prototypes\entity\vehicles.lua line 2538 u have it saying the 3 gun is tank-cannon-2 but in your locale\en\base.cfg line you refer to the artillery cannon as tank-nade-cannon. IDK if that is what is causing the problem or not. Everytime i try to change it the game wont load the mod.

Methane234
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Methane234 »

If I may suggest, can you add a different model/retexture for the flame tank, even if it is just turning it a little red or something, just so that you can tell it apart from the vanilla tank and other tanks in the mod.

nmid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nmid »

Can I use this without Bob's mod?
I haven't graduated to using the bigger mod packs yet and only basing my mods on the core dependencies.

LCruel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LCruel »

Hey i downloaded your mod a couple days ago and i got around to making the tanks and i built myself a super tank A and in it the 3rd gun(artillery) says item-name.tank-cannon-2 is not found. I opened ur code and looked thru it and I found in the prototypes\entity\vehicles.lua line 2538 u have it saying the 3 gun is tank-cannon-2 but in your locale\en\base.cfg line you refer to the artillery cannon as tank-nade-cannon. IDK if that is what is causing the problem or not. Everytime i try to change it the game wont load the mod.
Ill try and replicate, I have mainly been working on the smaller upgraded tanks. So its not unlikely I missed settings on the super tanks

Update:
- I found the issue, the cannon-2 it refers to I am calling "Battle cannon". This means you need to feed it the Explosive cannon shells. I have added a fourth gun to the Super Tank A so it also has a Artillery gun. I fixed the naming so it now displays the correct name for cannon-2

Let me know how this plays, I am thinking of swapping the Mine launcher on Super Tank B to also be a Artillery gun

I have added the fixes to version 1.4.1 that I am play testing now to get the bugs out.

Btw I can always use the help finding these bugs, thanks for the help.

LCruel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LCruel »

Methane234 wrote:If I may suggest, can you add a different model/retexture for the flame tank, even if it is just turning it a little red or something, just so that you can tell it apart from the vanilla tank and other tanks in the mod.
I have been looking for skins to make it easier to make out the difference. The problem is that the current texture (vanilla) sets the colour of the tank depending on your player colour. If I change it you would not be able to tell people apart in multilayer.

So good suggestion, but I am not sure yet how to implement it without a new skin. I am horrible at graphics :-( otherwise I could make one.

LCruel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LCruel »

nmid wrote:Can I use this without Bob's mod?
I haven't graduated to using the bigger mod packs yet and only basing my mods on the core dependencies.
Yes you can, however it might be to overpowered.

If you have time to try it let me know how it plays and send me some feedback. I can reduce the damage depending if bobs enemies is installed or not. But I have no clue how much (%) damage I need to cut to keep it interesting.

JgamerJ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JgamerJ »

So i installed the mod, but for some reason I can build the tanks. Is there some research that i need to do (and if so then i cant see the research that need to be done in the research tab). Or do i need to do something particular to be able to make the tanks. Please help me

Thank You

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

shoudn't you change data-updates.lua to also enable the purple, red and green bob's assembler in tank stuff production?

right now you can only craft tank stuff in the tank factory and the yellow assembler. I think the better assembler should be able to craft that stuff if the yellow one can do it.

Code: Select all

--data:extend(
--{
---- Make assembling-machine 3 able to craft tank components
----	{
--		type = "assembling-machine",
--		name = "assembling-machine-3",
--		crafting_categories = {"crafting", "advanced-crafting", "crafting-with-fluid"},
--	}
--}
--if data.raw.assembling-machine["assembling-machine-3"] then
--	table.insert(data.raw.assembling-machine["assembling-machine-3"].crafting_categories, { "tank-crafting","tank-ammo-component"} )
--	table.insert(data.raw.unit["small-spitter"].loot, {  item = "small-alien-artifact",  count_min = 1,  count_max = 1,  probability = 0.5 } )
--end

function TableConcat(t1,t2)
    for i=1,#t2 do
        t1[#t1+1] = t2[i]
    end
    return t1
end

data.raw["assembling-machine"]["assembling-machine-3"].crafting_categories = TableConcat( data.raw["assembling-machine"]["assembling-machine-3"].crafting_categories, {"tank-crafting","tank-ammo-component"} )

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

Also there an item called "Reinforced Heavy Ordinance Casing" that have no use at all, no recipe use this in it's ingredient.. why??

Code: Select all

{
    type = "recipe",
    name = "tank-ammo-reinforced-casing",
    enabled = "false",
    category = "tank-ammo-component",
    energy_required = 2,
    ingredients =
    {
      {"steel-plate", 1},
    },
    results=
    {
      {type="item", name="tank-ammo-reinforced-casing", amount=1},
    },
  }

MarkusAurelius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MarkusAurelius »

What ammo is used with Auto Cannon turret? I've tried loading everything without success.

Thanks!

Zilch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zilch »

MarkusAurelius wrote:What ammo is used with Auto Cannon turret?
It's the flamethrower tank ammo. Dunno why.

Return to “Mods”