Topics and discussion about specific mods
kds71
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[MOD 0.12.20] Complete research overhaul

Post by kds71 »

Type: Mod
Name: Research overhaul
Description: Completely changes the way research is done in Factorio. Please read the long description for details.
License: Public Domain
Version: 0.0.1
Release: -
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.20
Category: Overhaul
Tags: Research
Download-Url:
research-overhaul_0.0.1.zip
(73.99 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Long description

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.20] Complete research overhaul

Post by aklesey1 »

Nice mod, but it reminds me the system from dytech in some releases
Here i so more simple sytem for crafting - no resources need for craft, i donno that's good or not good, but that good for fast researching? may be we need to see the crafting time and energy consmuption of machine for each types science packs :D
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

definitely keeping an eye on this mod

any plans on making it bob's mods compatible?
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

kds71
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kds71 »

diongham wrote:any plans on making it bob's mods compatible?
Maybe in the (somehow distant) future, it will take a lot of time to ballance it for vanilla. Once I'm done with that I will see what can I do next :)

Edit: I've spent some time playtesting this mod and I have to say that I'm enjoying it so far. However, it is apparent from the very beginning that the ballance is totally off. I think that I will start with increasing length of research and vastly increasing cost of crafting Research Stations and Laboratories.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

This looks hella nice. I'll be here waiting for release!

Factorio2016
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorio2016 »

Red packet for free? Interest in the battle for resources disappears !
I understand your idea (I have installed and looked), as for you and me and for many in a normal game, not enough production!
I have a similar idea in terms of expanding production, but the other in the direction of realism! Looking for the time and effort to create the modification.
English is not my native language. Translator.

Lurkily
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lurkily »

I like this concept a lot, but red packs should cost something . . . even if it's just high fuel consumption. (or lots of electricity, which often amounts to the same thing.) Beyond that, I like this a lot. A lot a lot. I always thought that the basic packs should be a vital component of the more advanced packs.

Lurkily
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lurkily »

I had an issue where I started a game, then reloaded it, and once I reloaded the game, all technologies reverted to requiring the original science packs. Hrm? This makes my old research facility (in it's budding stages, thankfully,) quite useless.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

I'll second the high electricity consumption suggestion...

But, to go a little further - how about somehow making it require semi-random amounts of electricity in big chunks. That way, not only do you need enough steady input, but you need capacitance as well, and probably a good backup power system if your research units happen to all roll high on the "how much power shall we draw today?" roll, or suddenly your factory cuts out for a little bit? Would that be enjoyable, perhaps?

In short, I'd like some sort of thing I have to do besides making more research nodes.

You could also make the advanced research stations require artifacts or processing units or other difficult to source components, possibly quite a large number thereof.

This would also allow for further upgrades at the same tier - do you build large, energy inefficient Research 3 processors that just take the stuff you've got, or do you drop some rarer resources on the smaller, more efficient versions at the cost of not having those resources elsewhere?

That sort of tradeoff would make increasing the research throughput more thoughtful in my opinion.

In general though... I really like this idea :)

kds71
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kds71 »

Sorry for not replying for a long time. I was playing with this mod, balancing and testing it and I have to say that I'm not satisfied with the result. What become of this mod isn't what I wanted to achieve. I had to rethink the initial idea and eventually I decided that I want to make even more drastic changes to the research system (starting with getting rid of the entire research tree and technologies altogether :)). It still requires a lot of work before I can publish it here, I will post an update as soon as possible.

Return to “Mods”