Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Mobius1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by Mobius1 »

nagapito wrote:The thing that might scare people is that in vanilla, you have one way of making plastic with what, 2 steps?
Petrochem not only has multiple ways, but each include multiple steps that can be reused on the diferent ways of making plastic. That and the fact that you need quite a considerable amount of stuff to get some plastic. To produce some plastic you need like 20 machines behind it just to get some propene to feed 2 chemical plants. That is scary and gives the impression something is wrong when you are not used to angels mods.
Ratios... screw them! Just add tons of MK3 beacons with speed modules! :D Speed is everything!
My current factory consumes 80k plastic per hour and I only have 3 chemplants producing plastic, one for each type of plastic production, also the same chemical facility produces 200k rocket fuel per minute with 6 chemplants producing them.

But if you ask me about the ratios I would certainly tell you "I have no clue". Take for example the plastic 3 recipe that requires Phenol and Formaldehyde, those comes from, essentially, Gas Cracking, so I have 1 gas refinery cracking all my NGL production but with a crafting speed of +960% she can handle it, 20 barrels of NGL comes in and 2s later its 20 empty barrels that comes out along with lots of plastic (yes all my production is barrel in | barrel out, no piping)

The overview of the facility:
Map size
Zoomed View

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Mobius1 wrote:
nagapito wrote:The thing that might scare people is that in vanilla, you have one way of making plastic with what, 2 steps?
Petrochem not only has multiple ways, but each include multiple steps that can be reused on the diferent ways of making plastic. That and the fact that you need quite a considerable amount of stuff to get some plastic. To produce some plastic you need like 20 machines behind it just to get some propene to feed 2 chemical plants. That is scary and gives the impression something is wrong when you are not used to angels mods.
Ratios... screw them! Just add tons of MK3 beacons with speed modules! :D Speed is everything!
My current factory consumes 80k plastic per hour and I only have 3 chemplants producing plastic, one for each type of plastic production, also the same chemical facility produces 200k rocket fuel per minute with 6 chemplants producing them.

But if you ask me about the ratios I would certainly tell you "I have no clue". Take for example the plastic 3 recipe that requires Phenol and Formaldehyde, those comes from, essentially, Gas Cracking, so I have 1 gas refinery cracking all my NGL production but with a crafting speed of +960% she can handle it, 20 barrels of NGL comes in and 2s later its 20 empty barrels that comes out along with lots of plastic (yes all my production is barrel in | barrel out, no piping)

The overview of the facility:
Map size
Zoomed View
Well... keep in mind that not everyone plays with bobs modules and/or much less raw modules.
And, on your first plastic factory, you dont have modules and 2 chemical plants producing plastic from propene is still not that much plastic early game!

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

raw only allow you to reach that speed without additional power cost. you can reach it with standart speed moduls it needs tons of power then but thats what nuclear reactors are for.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

ukezi wrote:raw only allow you to reach that speed without additional power cost. you can reach it with standart speed moduls it needs tons of power then but thats what nuclear reactors are for.
As I said not everyone plays with bobs modules and/or much less raw modules.

Use vanilla mods and the speed/productivity bonus are WAY smaller! Vanilla max productivity is 10% per module and max speed is 50% per module!
Also, beacons have a larger range and give 100% of effects so you can efftect one machine with way more beacons. Vanilla cuts the effect in 50%!

its not about energy cost, is really about how much production power you can squeeze from modules

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Angel, I shared this on bob's posts but I think you will also love to know this command that doesnt seem to be documented...

game.player.force.reset_technology_effects()

This is the supposedly the same as checking if technology is researched then enable all the recipes but for all technologies.
No more forgetting to enable that recipe on migration scripts!

And since this was posted on forums 5 days ago, it might be a new command.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

nagapito wrote:Angel, I shared this on bob's posts but I think you will also love to know this command that doesnt seem to be documented...

game.player.force.reset_technology_effects()

This is the supposedly the same as checking if technology is researched then enable all the recipes but for all technologies.
No more forgetting to enable that recipe on migration scripts!

And since this was posted on forums 5 days ago, it might be a new command.
My greatest foe has been vanquished! Need to find something new I can fuck up. Thanks for the heads up

sbadkins4@yahoo.com
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sbadkins4@yahoo.com »

Sir,
Is it alright to suggest adding Sodium as an ingredient in Titanium Sponge?
Thank you for your time.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Angel, do you have plans to add the rest of bobs alloys to smelting?
That is brass, bronze, copper-tungsten, tungsten carbide, cobalt steel, nitinol...?

Frostl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Frostl »

Angel, Bob removed synthetic wood some time ago, but it's still there in petrochem.

Mobius1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mobius1 »

nagapito wrote:Angel, do you have plans to add the rest of bobs alloys to smelting?
That is brass, bronze, copper-tungsten, tungsten carbide, cobalt steel, nitinol...?
Since cobalt, tungsten, solder are there, I think he has planz for the others but prolly figuring out complicated ways of making them :mrgreen:

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

Quick question, is there a limit to the maximum size of modded fluid storage tanks? In previous campaigns, I've used large areas of the map to store fluids until I've had a chance to use them (mineralized water, residual gas, hydrogen, etc). Now I'm thinking I can just mod in a storage tank that has 1 million fluid capacity so I don't need to worry about spamming tanks all over the place. Would it break something if I did this? If I understand correctly, it just entails changing the "base_area" value in entity.lua to 10000 (or 100000?). I might also increase the recipe cost by 10x for a sense of balance.

Thanks!

PS: This is also my first campaign with metallurgy, and WOW does that add a lot. It is very rewarding, but I don't think I've ever played this slowly before LOL.

Mobius1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mobius1 »

NewSwiss wrote:Quick question, is there a limit to the maximum size of modded fluid storage tanks? In previous campaigns, I've used large areas of the map to store fluids until I've had a chance to use them (mineralized water, residual gas, hydrogen, etc). Now I'm thinking I can just mod in a storage tank that has 1 million fluid capacity so I don't need to worry about spamming tanks all over the place. Would it break something if I did this? If I understand correctly, it just entails changing the "base_area" value in entity.lua to 10000 (or 100000?). I might also increase the recipe cost by 10x for a sense of balance.

Thanks!

PS: This is also my first campaign with metallurgy, and WOW does that add a lot. It is very rewarding, but I don't think I've ever played this slowly before LOL.
Jax-35 Tanks have 350k fluid capacity, you could create a nearly-endless storage tank if you wanted but since they store integer capacities, make sure you don't input anything greater than the maxint value on the base_area property or it'll crash the game. Even tho the display shows decimals making you believe its a float value. The maxint value is 2^31 (32 bit based).

Jax-35 tanks comes from angel's Pressure Tanks mod.

obstructor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by obstructor »

nagapito wrote:Angel, do you have plans to add the rest of bobs alloys to smelting?
I second this especially since bronze is used in science now.

Also can you add barrels back in for ferric chloride solution, its the only part of the saline water process that suddenly can't be barreled. In fact it and fuel oil are literally the only fluids that can't be barreled. (I have no idea what bob has against barrels on random items, he has no problem with sulfuric acid going into steel barrels.)

EDIT: I have been messing around like crazy trying to mod in ferric chloride solution barrels, and its been crazy. I literally changed bobs recipe to need barrels instead of canisters and it doesn't work. The only way to get it to be barrels is to remove bobsplates entirely (which deletes several hundred items). I eventually just stuck in a new recipe that does what I want.
Last edited by obstructor on Sun May 28, 2017 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

Mobius1 wrote: Jax-35 Tanks have 350k fluid capacity, you could create a nearly-endless storage tank if you wanted but since they store integer capacities, make sure you don't input anything greater than the maxint value on the base_area property or it'll crash the game. Even tho the display shows decimals making you believe its a float value. The maxint value is 2^31 (32 bit based).

Jax-35 tanks comes from angel's Pressure Tanks mod.
I feel dumb now. I just checked out Angel's pressure tank and that looks like exactly what I wanted. If anything, it's cheaper than I expected it to be. I think I'll just go with that, though it's good to know I could modify it to ridiculous capacity if I need to. The only suggestion I would make for that mod would be to add tier 2, 3, and 4 pressure tanks which correspond (in terms of ingredients and relative capacity) to Bob's higher-tier tanks.

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

How in the seven hells do you make nitric acid? I can't for the life of me figure out what machine you use to make the nitrogen monoxide you need to make nitrogen dioxide.

Did you forget a migration again Angel? :o

EDIT; Ok, something really funky is going on with the migration for v0.5.8. I have the research already unlocked from some time ago, but monoxide still doesn't appear
I tried a few things, including incrementing the mod version and making a copy of the migration file, but it only worked after I just changed the research to activate the migration to titanium smelting, just at random. everything is/was spelled correctly as-is, so IDK whats up with it. Monoxide recipe also has a broken name string and doesn't return the metal carrier.

Basilio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Basilio »

Nitrogen Monoxide recipe currently takes green metal catalyst, but doesn't give back catalyst carrier. Is this intended?

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

Basilio wrote:Nitrogen Monoxide recipe currently takes green metal catalyst, but doesn't give back catalyst carrier. Is this intended?
No, but someone posted a fix in the bug/FAQ thread. Just need to copy paste something into one of the recipe files.

Fedorrro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fedorrro »

Hello! Why just pressure Tanks has so many dependencies from other mods? It's possible to build standalone version?
I cant install it, because it has so many dependencies, which has other dependencies, which i dont plan to use.
P.S. Thanks for your Mods!

Mella
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mella »

Hi Arch666Angel, have you plans tp add the electrified railroad? I like your graphic and your trains are cool, but it is necessary to be more modern and to power the train from electricity :D

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

Fedorrro wrote:Hello! Why just pressure Tanks has so many dependencies from other mods? It's possible to build standalone version?
I cant install it, because it has so many dependencies, which has other dependencies, which i dont plan to use.
P.S. Thanks for your Mods!
There is mod that just adds high-capacity storage tanks:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/claim/Ex ... rage_Tanks

It's not updated to 0.15, but you can do that yourself very easily by changing the the "factorio version" number in the info.json file.

Return to “Angels Mods”