please do not use floating point value in Factorio

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: please do not use floating point value in Factorio

Post by boskid »

Ambaire wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:28 pm
Would it be possible to override that for modded games? Specifically, Pyanodons, and the seablock mod for it? Early game, I'm slowly producing liquid glass from quartz at a rate of 10 fluid units per 10 seconds or so, and with the underground pipe length I was using, I was experiencing 75% fluid loss thanks to that 'feature'.

Even with short range transport from a producer to a consumer, I was losing liquid glass over time at a rate of 0.1 units every minute or so. I could tell since the amount in the destination went from a whole number to .9, .8, etc.

Also, since pipes can only have one fluid type now without exploits, there is zero reason for any automatic flush to ever occur. If a manual flush is desired, it's easy enough to connect a pump to one end of the pipe system.
I am not sure if you are playing on the latest version, but the flush condition when all pipes have less than 0.05 of fluid was removed (97338). Also the hard fluid mixing prevention was replaced with soft fluid mixing prevention where only manual placement of pipes by a player is checked against fluid mixing. Hard mixing prevention was causing too many corner cases to handle.

Ambaire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: please do not use floating point value in Factorio

Post by Ambaire »

boskid wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:46 pm
Ambaire wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:28 pm
Would it be possible to override that for modded games? Specifically, Pyanodons, and the seablock mod for it? Early game, I'm slowly producing liquid glass from quartz at a rate of 10 fluid units per 10 seconds or so, and with the underground pipe length I was using, I was experiencing 75% fluid loss thanks to that 'feature'.

Even with short range transport from a producer to a consumer, I was losing liquid glass over time at a rate of 0.1 units every minute or so. I could tell since the amount in the destination went from a whole number to .9, .8, etc.

Also, since pipes can only have one fluid type now without exploits, there is zero reason for any automatic flush to ever occur. If a manual flush is desired, it's easy enough to connect a pump to one end of the pipe system.
I am not sure if you are playing on the latest version, but the flush condition when all pipes have less than 0.05 of fluid was removed (97338). Also the hard fluid mixing prevention was replaced with soft fluid mixing prevention where only manual placement of pipes by a player is checked against fluid mixing. Hard mixing prevention was causing too many corner cases to handle.
Oh. Sorry. Perhaps I was hallucinating it.

Return to “Gameplay Help”