Power logic

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Namoth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Power logic

Post by Namoth »

well.....i hoppe this gets a hotfix fast considering i have saves that are worth dubble digits of houers i like to keep playing...
but if the power bug that i just spoted stays that might impact my oppinion of the game rather deeply ,since i not een it before.
if you have a SINGLE SOLAR PANEL anywhere , and the batteries runs out during night time.... it dosent matter you got lines of lines of ready high pressure steam to go , the turbines wont switch on until the solar panels doess to start feed the factory and charge your batteries.

sort of game breaking because at least for myself , a pinch of solar just to make sure there is a trickle to boot up the grab arms feeding the turbine grid in event of complete power lose is .....basic redundancy but having turbines that refuse to start unless the solar panels doess to ehh ? ,it used to work clever enough sooooo...what happened ? there only been 3-4 patches since i played last as far i know

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Power logic

Post by ssilk »

What you describe makes no sense, and if, it would have been reported some minutes after release.

Idea: do you use a power switch to turn on your steam power and does the signal to control that switch is calculated by a combinator?

If so:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=91175
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91177

If not:
Show us a picture of what you’ve done. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Game version? Log file?
Also post the save, so the devs can see exactly what is wrong.

If this is about the circuit network not being able to switch on your backup generators when your factory has no power, then this would be not a bug. The circuit network need power to run. So if you want to use circuits to switch on your backup generators, then the circuit logic needs to trigger the power switch before you are out of power (or even in a serious brown out). eg connect an accumulator to the switch and set the switch to activate when the accumulator is at 5%.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Moved to gameplay help. If you want to report a bug, please follow the friendly rules: 3638 - provide a save file and game version.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

If I understand you correctly, either
  1. have burner inserters feed the power if it's an issue with inserters not having power,
  2. have the backup power activate before the batteries run out, at like 2% or something, or
  3. have a separate battery or two for the inserters (more than doable with circuits and manual wiring which you have to do anyway if you have a backup power system).
Non-solar power turns on automatically when solar is insufficient (completely unrelated to accumulator status), so if it's not, that means you literally disconnected it either by accident or you run a custom-made backup power system (see point 2).

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Burner Inserters work for feeding boilers.

As for the issues described in the OP I can think of a few reasons it maybe happening. Screenshots would help, of course.

Possibility 1 : remove the pumps between your Boilers and Steam Engines. They are not needed.
Possibility 2 : an incorrect setting in the Combinators/power switch splitting the steam power from the rest of the electrical grid. Combinators need power to function. Either change their setting so they turn steam power on before the accumulator reaches zero, or remove them entirely and just wire an accumulator to the offshore pumps feeding the boilers, setting the offshore pump to turn on before accumulator energy reaches zero.

As stated above, screenshots would help to diagnose the problem. But I’m thinking it to be one of these two scenarios.

Namoth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Namoth »

guess i should made a save file of it and provided it..hmm strange , looked like the site told me this is were to mention bugs..not very used to do it though wich is why there werent any save file with it etc.
no idea what might have caused it booted it up earlier agen and now the steam kicked in when the batteries died as they should.

but incase anyone be curious.

no circuit networking at all ,just basic power grid with batteries , solar panels and turbines conected to it ,and said turbines connected to bunch of tanks filled with supposedly ready to go steam. only tweak was i tested a 'fast start' thing to give me bunch of stuff right away and see if it was good for play with friends that not like to spend an houer setting up basics ;)

and nha , burner inserters always ends up eating up the fuel they have dieing and need a manual re-feed as they spend a ingame day and nearly all night idle waiting for the furnaces fuel to be consumed since they only can refuel themselfs when grabing for the stuff they insert in ,or have that changed lately ?

hmm...maby that be worth making a suggestion for tweak of basic behavior ,have the burner inserter be allowed to grab coal for itself even if the thing its feeding dont need any fuel atm.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Namoth wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:42 pm
hmm...maby that be worth making a suggestion for tweak of basic behavior ,have the burner inserter be allowed to grab coal for itself even if the thing its feeding dont need any fuel atm.
Burner inserters already auto-fuel themselves before feeding the device behind - however, they are not fast enough to grab from a too fast belt, and they may use all their power trying to chase for items on the belt if used with fast belts.

As for the initial issue you're reporting, there would be a LOT more reports if the game behaved as you describe. My first guess is a design error or a mod on your side. If you provide your save, there are many talented people here who are willing to help.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Yeah, a picture is worth a thousand words, a save is worth a thousand pictures.

Return to “Gameplay Help”