How to connect robot network with logistic network?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

How to connect robot network with logistic network?

Post by Neotix »

I have storage with Roboport and storage chests. When I move cursor above any chest in range of Roboport, I get info about total amount of items storages in all chest. I want to connect that storage with logistic network and set smart inserter to control production but I don't know if it's possible. Of course I can wired all chest but is there any more elegant way to connect robot network? I tried to connect Roboport itself but it seem that it's impossible.
Last edited by Neotix on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How to connect robot network with logistic network?

Post by -root »

Uh, so I'm not sure exactly what your question is, i'll attempt to answer though.

Storage chests are automatically connected to the logistics network. You require robots however to move the items around within the network.

Using a smart inserter you can tell it to work only when certain conditions are met. For example, only to place things into a box (or take a certain thing out of a box) when Iron plate is < 100. I think what you're asking is 100% possible, you can use a smart inserter to control production.

All your roboports need to be within range of one another though. You can tell they are within range when there is a yellow dotted line connecting them and their orange range map overlaps.

If this doesn't answer the question, post a screen shot and try and point out what you are aiming to do and I'll do my best to help :mrgreen:

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

Your roboports must be connected to form a large logistics network as pictured below:
roboport-connected.jpg
roboport-connected.jpg (147.26 KiB) Viewed 9489 times
If your roboports are not connected as pictured below, you will have two separate logistics networks.
roboport-not-connected.jpg
roboport-not-connected.jpg (129.5 KiB) Viewed 9489 times
Hope this helps.

EDIT:
Just to make things more clear: The orange square shows the logistics network and the green square shows how far the construction bots will reach.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I didn't ask about connection Roboport to rest of the Robot network but about connection Robot network with standard logistic network. How to connect storages in Roboport range witch smart inserters, without wiring all chests.

Example:

Belt -> Smart inserter -> Furnace -> Inserter -> [ Provider chest -> Robots -> Storage chests ]

Blue is Robot network (orange square around Roboport).

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Logistic network is connected to the roboport when the chest are in the orange area.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

It's not the answer to the question.

Smart inserter placed within Roboport range (orange square) i automatically connected to Robot network and I can set condition based on stored items in that network. But if I place that smart inserter outside of Robopot range, he is not connected. Question is, how to connect Smart inserter placed outside the Roboport network, with that network.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Place Roboports so that the inserter is in the area and it connects with your other roboports

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Try that with two separated robot network :P

Right now i see only one solution. Using logic gates inside robot network and send signal thou wires to logic network.

atehxx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by atehxx »

Robot network = logistic network
Do you mean circuit network (the one with red/green wires)?

When you place smart inserter in orange area (logistic network) you will see condition for Logistic network in it's properties, same as you see Red/Green conditions for Circuit network. Is this what you need?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

No, it isn't because I know that well.
What I want to know, is that any directional way to connect robot network with circuit network?
Right now I'm using logic gates to connect that networks and sending signal far away to smart inserters.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Neotix wrote:No, it isn't because I know that well.
What I want to know, is that any directional way to connect robot network with circuit network?
Right now I'm using logic gates to connect that networks and sending signal far away to smart inserters.
no

pf_moore
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pf_moore »

Neotix wrote:Belt -> Smart inserter -> Furnace -> Inserter -> [ Provider chest -> Robots -> Storage chests ]
Blue is Robot network (orange square around Roboport).
The smart inserter is connected if it's inside the orange area. There is no way to connect it to the orange area (logistic network) if it's not inside that network. You can extend the orange logistic network by placing roboports so that their logistic network ranges overlap, but that's the only way to extend the logistic network.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The whole network stuff is conceptually created in v0.5 or v0.6.... In my opinion it should be

-- Circuit
---- wired circuits (red and green)
---- wireless circuits (part of the logistic network)

-- Robots
---- logistic robots
---- construction robots
---- fighting robots

-- construction area (the green)

-- logistic zone (the orange... zone, not area)

-- connectors (this part is not thought through yet6
---- the roboport of course, which connects wireless circuits with logistic and construction bots
---- wires
---- smart inserter
---- logistic chests
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I connected both networks by using logic gates. Inside logistic network (orange area) i built simple gates True/False. Smart inserters are connected with Roboport network and Smart chests are wired. In that way when I don't have enough items in storage system, inserter move requested item into Smart chest. Inserters in production section get signal to work. When I have enough items, production stop.

JackTheHat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JackTheHat »

I don't know why you don't just make sure you robotics network has 100% coverage. :?

Also a screenshot would help immensely in explaining exactly what you mean.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Because I'm sending signal far away and I would have to use hundreds of roboports to cover it. I'm not building compact factory, I'm building several factories to produce different items.

JackTheHat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JackTheHat »

Well I guess that game really didn't have the idea of having factories far away from each other because the developers couldn't think of a reason why anyone would do that. Unless the person doing it didn't have trains or liked walking very far to get stuff.

I don't know what to suggest though, circuit network is a pretty tedious way if you want to work out lots of different items.

Maybe there is a mod that could help?

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

Neotix, logic gates are the way to accomplish this at the moment. You could also try to design and build a FSM that manages your factories production.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite-state_machine

It is entirely possible to build slightly sophisticated electronics in the game, from a simple binary calculator to a programmable production, sorting, and delivery system.

Return to “Gameplay Help”