Lithia water

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mrudi
Inserter
Inserter

Lithia water

Post by mrudi »

So I kind off goofed and set lithia water to very low (thought it was something else). Trying to find it on the map.

a) What does it look like when you pull up the map?
b) is there a cheat I can use to spawn it?

thanks

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Lithia water

Post by fractalman »

It shows up as light blue splotches on the map.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

They show up on the map like oil wells do, but as Fractalman said, in a light-blue color.

If there's a way to adjust a map after you started playing it, I would be very interested in that as well..

mrudi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mrudi »

Thanks. Found some. Very far away though from my main base. Thoughts on bringing it back? Thinking train but its pretty far with lots of enemies. Maybe cargo plane.

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

mrudi wrote:Thanks. Found some. Very far away though from my main base. Thoughts on bringing it back? Thinking train but its pretty far with lots of enemies. Maybe cargo plane.
You don't really need a ton of it. You could almost just run an unpowered pipeline even over a long distance...if it weren't for those enemies you mentioned.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

mrudi wrote:Thanks. Found some. Very far away though from my main base. Thoughts on bringing it back? Thinking train but its pretty far with lots of enemies. Maybe cargo plane.
trains are ok, just get also rail tanker mod, if you don't use it yet.
bitters usualy don't eat rail :D

mrudi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mrudi »

fractalman wrote: You don't really need a ton of it. You could almost just run an unpowered pipeline even over a long distance...if it weren't for those enemies you mentioned.
What's an unpowered pipeline? I haven't yet figured out how to pressurize pipes (also haven't needed to yet). I played around with small pumps but could not figure out how they work. I did read the post on the math but honestly couldn't follow it.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

mrudi wrote:
fractalman wrote: You don't really need a ton of it. You could almost just run an unpowered pipeline even over a long distance...if it weren't for those enemies you mentioned.
What's an unpowered pipeline? I haven't yet figured out how to pressurize pipes (also haven't needed to yet). I played around with small pumps but could not figure out how they work. I did read the post on the math but honestly couldn't follow it.
pumps just "split" pipe into segment and draw fluid from one side, and push it to other.

small pump can only push at speed 30u/sec (or 0.5u/tick), while pipe troughput is 60u/sec (or 1u/tick), so you need 2 pumps in paralel to maximize output.

under normal conditions (without pump), game tries to normalize fluid level across one segment (one segment includes all fluid "passtrough" entities, which is afaik pipes, tanks, boilers, and also input of consumer (offshore pump and pumpjack are producers, and assemblerrs/refineries/chemic plants/generators are consumers)

as for pipelines, they all are unpowered, but bitters will attack them, if they block their path, so it's not much safer than train, if they pass their migration path.

mrudi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mrudi »

mexmer wrote: pumps just "split" pipe into segment and draw fluid from one side, and push it to other.

small pump can only push at speed 30u/sec (or 0.5u/tick), while pipe troughput is 60u/sec (or 1u/tick), so you need 2 pumps in paralel to maximize output.

under normal conditions (without pump), game tries to normalize fluid level across one segment (one segment includes all fluid "passtrough" entities, which is afaik pipes, tanks, boilers, and also input of consumer (offshore pump and pumpjack are producers, and assemblerrs/refineries/chemic plants/generators are consumers)

as for pipelines, they all are unpowered, but bitters will attack them, if they block their path, so it's not much safer than train, if they pass their migration path.
Can you explain then what pumps are for? Are they for long distance or for splitting throughput? I'm nut sure how to use them.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

mrudi wrote:
Can you explain then what pumps are for? Are they for long distance or for splitting throughput? I'm nut sure how to use them.
Pumps simply force fluids from one end to the other. Thereby putting pressure on a pipe.
If you are working with long stretches of pipes, pressure gets divided among all those segments, which usually results in your machines not getting enough fluids to work properly.
A pump simply takes the fluid from one end and pumps it to the other end, thereby putting pressure on the part where your machines need it.

Having said that, if you have enough oil (or Lithia) drills pushing their fluid into a pipe you might not need a pump at first. However, oil well pressure declines fast.
Don't worry about math. Just put a pump (or several) in a long section of pipes. You can place them just like a pipe segment, but keep in mind that they need electricity.
mrudi wrote:Thanks. Found some. Very far away though from my main base. Thoughts on bringing it back? Thinking train but its pretty far with lots of enemies.
Well, you gotta fight your way to those wells anyway, so yea: Trains. You can either get a fluid wagon mod, or do it the vanilla way with barrels.
Enemies will usually not attack your rails and power lines, but they will attack your pollution spewing drills, so you want to build up a small defense structure there.
Some laser turrets and walls usually does the trick. - In that case you also want a roboport with some bots there that can repair your damaged defenses,
and in that case you need to deliver some repair packs every now and then. (I have my oil trains take care of that).

Good luck man!

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

mrudi wrote:
An unpowered pipeline is just that, a pipeline. Adding in small pumps is a way to pressurize pipes over long distance. Each small pump has a maximum of 30 fluid/tick moved through it, so you need a few pumps in parallel to avoid crippling the flow rate.
Bushdoctor wrote: Having said that, if you have enough oil (or Lithia) drills pushing their fluid into a pipe you might not need a pump at first. However, oil well pressure declines fast.
Don't worry about math. Just put a pump (or several) in a long section of pipes. You can place them just like a pipe segment, but keep in mind that they need electricity.
Lithia patches have a ridiculous amount of yield and you only need a little bit.

mrudi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mrudi »

fractalman wrote: Each small pump has a maximum of 30 fluid/tick moved through it, so you need a few pumps in parallel to avoid crippling the flow rate.
This is the part that confuses me a little. I noticed when a pipe is full it shows it has 10 units in it. How does this relate to "30 fluid/tick" throughput? If it can only hold 10 in total, how can it move 30/tick?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

mrudi wrote:
fractalman wrote: Each small pump has a maximum of 30 fluid/tick moved through it, so you need a few pumps in parallel to avoid crippling the flow rate.
This is the part that confuses me a little. I noticed when a pipe is full it shows it has 10 units in it. How does this relate to "30 fluid/tick" throughput? If it can only hold 10 in total, how can it move 30/tick?
The small pump actually has a maximum of 30 fluid/second, not per tick.
Offshore pumps will pump water at 60 fluid/second and steam engines consume water at 6 fluid/second (hence the 1 offshore pump - 10 steam engines ratio).

More info on small pump performance and long distance piping can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

mrudi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mrudi »

daniel34 wrote:The small pump actually has a maximum of 30 fluid/second, not per tick.
Offshore pumps will pump water at 60 fluid/second and steam engines consume water at 6 fluid/second (hence the 1 offshore pump - 10 steam engines ratio).

More info on small pump performance and long distance piping can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066
Ok so technically you could have 357 pipes from the offshore pump and the steam engines and not impact performance (per the post 357 pipes can handle 60 fluid/second)?

How do you determine the qty/second being generated by a water or oil pump? Oil seems more difficult since the resource diminishes over time.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

mrudi wrote:
daniel34 wrote:The small pump actually has a maximum of 30 fluid/second, not per tick.

Ok so technically you could have 357 pipes from the offshore pump and the steam engines and not impact performance (per the post 357 pipes can handle 60 fluid/second)?

How do you determine the qty/second being generated by a water or oil pump? Oil seems more difficult since the resource diminishes over time.
pumps show their production ratio (if we talking pumpjacks).

as for "pipe length", theoretically you can have "unlimited" length of pipe, just long pipes take longer to balance, since each segment has own buffer, but when all segments are full, as long as "drain" is not higher than "supply", it will work.

mrudi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mrudi »

mexmer wrote: as for "pipe length", theoretically you can have "unlimited" length of pipe, just long pipes take longer to balance, since each segment has own buffer, but when all segments are full, as long as "drain" is not higher than "supply", it will work.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks

Return to “Gameplay Help”