high-speed producting: Stack inserter speed and input limits

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: high-speed producting: Stack inserter speed and input limits

Post by DaveMcW »

siggboy wrote:Somebody on Reddit has recently posted a better setup even (slightly more energy efficient): https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... build_013/
The 8x8 layout is the best for minimizing module costs. But I prefer this version of it.
electronic-circuit.jpg
electronic-circuit.jpg (361.69 KiB) Viewed 27431 times
blueprint

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

@Dave, thanks, that looks nice and compact (and certainly neater than mine :))

@Helfima, your mod looks fantastic, I'll check it out!

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

DaveMcW wrote:The 8x8 layout is the best for minimizing module costs. But I prefer this version of it.
Really nice. Certainly better than the thing shown on Reddit. I'm pretty sure it's enough to use 2x Fast Inserter for the inputs from the belts. Going to test that now.

BTW, Dave, have you made new versions of your modules for making Red and Blue Circuits that you've used way back for the "1 Minute Rocket Defense" build? When you've published it you've shown the blueprints for these modules, and I really like them.

So I'd be interested in your versions of these for 0.13.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

I'm still happy with my high-volume red circuit design. Maybe you could clean it up a bit with stack inserters, but inserters were never the limiting factor.

I would probably not use the blue circuit design now, simply because the endgame does not require that many blue circuits anymore.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

DaveMcW wrote:I'm still happy with my high-volume red circuit design. Maybe you could clean it up a bit with stack inserters, but inserters were never the limiting factor.
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. I've cleaned it up a little, also since I don't want to craft Plastic Bars on the spot (and, of course, to get rid of the interleaved belts at the output; I don't want to get visited by the Belt Police, I'm sure you've got them in your pocket so probably not an issue for you :) ).
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

What about this for a simple vertical layout? It is tileable so each beacon should affect 8 plants (4 on each side) and each plant has 8 beacons. I didn't do any real calculations, but a single copper->circuit + copper should be able to supply 8*1.4=11.2 plants, probaly just 11 because the circuit is not at 100%. All plants are at 5.5 crafting speed (4 prod 8 speed), so this should produce (1/8)*11*1.4*5.5=10.5 red/s consuming 15 plastic and green and 30 copper (so I guess I need to upgrade these belts to blue to get 100% production, but I first need to upgrade my oil refining to get more plastic...).
vertical red circuit

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

That layout looks great, I have to try it out on my sandbox map. By the way, you should install Creative Mode, then you get item providers and consumers, makes it a lot easier to create these kinds of test setups. I've also made a small map and pimped it in the map editor, putting concrete everywhere and removing the trees.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

@siggyboy: Good tip, I'll have a look at the mod!

I really like that mod :)

New screenshot:
red circuit stack
It doesn't quite get to theoretical potential of 635 red/minute, but gets close (611 red). The problem is copper cable, I divert some from the top assembler to help the circuit production, but now the cable runs out (otherwise the circuits do, I think). Anyway, it's good enough for me, and I like that it is a compact rack that can easily be replicated to both sides. It 'wastes' two beacons by moving the copper cable down to get room for the extra inserter, maybe something smart can be done there to save one row and align the assemblers to the beacons again.
blueprint

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I made a version of the green circuit inspired by DaveMcW's setup above. It loses some efficiency but it can still mostly saturate a blue belt without using belt braiding:
viewtopic.php?f=202&t=33355

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Topic moved to Show your creations.
Now that the designs are complete, they deserve to be in "Show your creations"
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

rhekis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rhekis »

DaveMcW wrote: The 8x8 layout is the best for minimizing module costs. But I prefer this version of it.
Are those all just the yellow inserters and fast inserters? Its a little hard to tell from the pic.
Thanks!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There are blue (fast) inserters and green (stack) inserters.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”