Acid pool stack

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
JaminRoyale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:20 am
Contact:

Acid pool stack

Post by JaminRoyale »

Acid pool stacking makes no sense. Obviously you can "just dodge" but god damn does it even suck to stand on 10x pool of acid in a single tile. Obviously base setting you wont have to deal with this, but alot of worms and spitters can fit on the screen and shoot at once. The initial damage makes sense but stacking pools does not.

Stacking should be disabled IMHO. Make the acid pool higher DPS if you want but please disable acid pool stacking.

JaminRoyale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:20 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by JaminRoyale »

LOL no one gives a damn I guess cause 95% of players wont even experience this issue.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 295
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by Xorimuth »

Yes I agree. Not just the damage, but also the slowing (and why does the slow affect the spidertrons so much!).

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by Kyralessa »

Have you been killed by a stacked acid pool?

User avatar
steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2594
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by steinio »

+1
Image
Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

JaminRoyale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:20 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by JaminRoyale »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:08 pm
Have you been killed by a stacked acid pool?
Yes. I do not play base game mode though. If base game actually was a challenge with spitters and wurms then youd feel the burn too.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by Kyralessa »

JaminRoyale wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:49 pm
Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:08 pm
Have you been killed by a stacked acid pool?
Yes. I do not play base game mode though. If base game actually was a challenge with spitters and wurms then youd feel the burn too.
OK, keep going... How are you playing such that acid pools are killing you?

User avatar
jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by jodokus31 »

Excessive stacking of acid pools doesn't make sense. Maybe have a cap at 2 or 3 times?

User avatar
Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:05 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Generally it is when you don't bother dodging, or keep attacking the same angle, so the whole area gets covered in acid.
took me a while to get the hang of it. Before spitter rework, it was pretty much a dps race, no manouvering involved aside from chosing the angle and retreating.

That said, damage stacking really sucks because you can't get strong enough to facetank anymore, and moreso that on grass terrain acid is near invisible. I wish it were animated.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

JaminRoyale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:20 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by JaminRoyale »

think 20+ behemoth worms.

User avatar
NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:18 pm
JaminRoyale wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:49 pm
Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:08 pm
Have you been killed by a stacked acid pool?
Yes. I do not play base game mode though. If base game actually was a challenge with spitters and wurms then youd feel the burn too.
OK, keep going... How are you playing such that acid pools are killing you?
JaminRoyale wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:34 pm
think 20+ behemoth worms.
You can easily get bases with 100 or more worms in vanilla.
III: Think about what you intend to accomplish with an action before execution.
Have you ever heard the gospel? Most have not.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by Kyralessa »

AmericanPatriot wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:29 pm
You can easily get bases with 100 or more worms in vanilla.
Right, but where I'm having trouble is the part where the acid kills you that quickly. Do you run in with no armor? No shields?

When I clear out a huge base, I start around the outside and gradually spiral in toward the center. I don't plow right into the middle. I can see where plowing right into the middle of everything would get you killed by huge acid puddles, but the obvious solution is "Don't do that."

But perhaps I'm missing something. What scenario is there where these giant acid puddles get people killed, and they can't be avoided by acting more judiciously?

User avatar
NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:07 am
AmericanPatriot wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:29 pm
You can easily get bases with 100 or more worms in vanilla.
Right, but where I'm having trouble is the part where the acid kills you that quickly. Do you run in with no armor? No shields?

When I clear out a huge base, I start around the outside and gradually spiral in toward the center. I don't plow right into the middle. I can see where plowing right into the middle of everything would get you killed by huge acid puddles, but the obvious solution is "Don't do that."

But perhaps I'm missing something. What scenario is there where these giant acid puddles get people killed, and they can't be avoided by acting more judiciously?
I wasn't arguing for or against either side, just pointing something out.
I generally am not killed by worms often: I consider myself good at dodging left and right so the worms miss early game; mid game just play catiously.

I can see how with heavy biter settings, you might be in a position where there is no place to dodge to, but I usually set the starting area high enough so that I have decent technology to deal with them.
III: Think about what you intend to accomplish with an action before execution.
Have you ever heard the gospel? Most have not.

User avatar
jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by jodokus31 »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:07 am
But perhaps I'm missing something. What scenario is there where these giant acid puddles get people killed, and they can't be avoided by acting more judiciously?
The odd thing, that its possible to stack the acid pools. It's like throwing water a certain spot and it gets massively deep there, but directly around not. It gets a bit random, which acid pool is really bad and which not.
At least, it should be visible somehow, which acid spot deals lot of damage and which not.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6474
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by Koub »

I was wondering if the flame puddles (from handled and turret flamethrowers) also did stack in their effects or not. Might seem unrelated, but both fire and acid puddle could behave the same way (either both stack, or both don't).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

User avatar
MEOWMI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by MEOWMI »

^ The only thing that makes acid pools worse is their poor visibility in terrain!

User avatar
Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:05 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Koub wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:45 am
I was wondering if the flame puddles (from handled and turret flamethrowers) also did stack in their effects or not. Might seem unrelated, but both fire and acid puddle could behave the same way (either both stack, or both don't).
They get bigger, but I have no idea if the damage increases, if the sticker damage stacks, if larger/deeper flamer puddles deal more damage, or what. I don't generally stand in front of my own flamethrowers.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

User avatar
NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Ranakastrasz wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:58 pm
They get bigger, but I have no idea if the damage increases, if the sticker damage stacks, if larger/deeper flamer puddles deal more damage, or what. I don't generally stand in front of my own flamethrowers.
They both deal more damage and last longer when stacked.
III: Think about what you intend to accomplish with an action before execution.
Have you ever heard the gospel? Most have not.

User avatar
Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:05 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by Ranakastrasz »

AmericanPatriot wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:01 am
Ranakastrasz wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:58 pm
They get bigger, but I have no idea if the damage increases, if the sticker damage stacks, if larger/deeper flamer puddles deal more damage, or what. I don't generally stand in front of my own flamethrowers.
They both deal more damage and last longer when stacked.
For clarification, are you talking about the puddles, the stickers, or both?
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

JaminRoyale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:20 am
Contact:

Re: Acid pool stack

Post by JaminRoyale »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:07 am
AmericanPatriot wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:29 pm
You can easily get bases with 100 or more worms in vanilla.
Right, but where I'm having trouble is the part where the acid kills you that quickly. Do you run in with no armor? No shields?

When I clear out a huge base, I start around the outside and gradually spiral in toward the center. I don't plow right into the middle. I can see where plowing right into the middle of everything would get you killed by huge acid puddles, but the obvious solution is "Don't do that."

But perhaps I'm missing something. What scenario is there where these giant acid puddles get people killed, and they can't be avoided by acting more judiciously?
Mountain Fortress

Post Reply

Return to β€œBalancing”