[Request] Monorail and track

The place to share your custom game graphics.
zangent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Request] Monorail and track

Post by zangent »

I've been working on a monorail mod, which adds an electric-powered train to the game, but I can't seem to make a good model :(

If anyone can make these models for me, I'd greatly appreciate it, and of course you'd get credit in the mod.

Monorail engine - Imagining something like this: http://believablelies.org/wp-content/up ... norail.jpg but a little grungier to fit in with the Factorio aesthetic. If you want, it might be cool to have clean versions of all of these as well.
Monorail cargo wagon - Something like the passenger sections in here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... oct-22.jpg but still with the blue streak.
Monorail track - Like this, but only one track, and not elevated. (no supports): https://www.acm.jhu.edu//~sthurmovik/Ra ... ed-Car.jpg
Monorail curved track - Like above, but curved like a standard train track.

Along with icons for these, I want an icon of the engine on a piece of track for research.
Once again, if you feel up to it, it would be nice to not be stuck with programmer art for eternity. shudders

Edit: And I want everything standard sized like what Factorio has.

lolman360
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Request] Monorail and track

Post by lolman360 »

I can do the image just fine, but the rotation and the sheet will be hard as i do not know how much rotation i need

Here it is http://prntscr.com/8diy49

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

lolman360 wrote:I can do the image just fine, but the rotation and the sheet will be hard as i do not know how much rotation i need

Here it is http://prntscr.com/8diy49
You are going to need a total of 256 frames divided between 8 sheets. With the locomotive turning to the right. :)!
Check out:
C:\Program Files\Factorio\data\base\graphics\entity\diesel-locomotive
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

lolman360
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lolman360 »

AAAAA!!!

Thats is ALOT of sprites

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

lolman360 wrote:AAAAA!!!

Thats is ALOT of sprites
It sadly is :(!
But thats a good thing. Because or else we would have a fairly well stuttering train ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

DJderond
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DJderond »

I'm currently working on the Tugboat mod (which is quite similar graphics wise), and I just finished the deep ore drill.
I'm quite busy these days, but I'll try to make a quick sketch ASAP

Here are some examples:
examples

DJderond
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DJderond »

I made a sketch of a possible factorio monorail. I hope you like it!
If you want to, I can start making a model. :D

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

DJderond wrote:If you want to, I can start making a model.
What do you think of a suspended monorail like the Schwebebahn from Wuppertal? In my mind it has very distinctive industrial look that Factorio has.

DJderond
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DJderond »

Hmm... That indeed looks very 'factorio-like'. Not sure if it will work out with factorio though (because of the top down view).
Maybe if the rail would be thinner you could see the cart better from the top.

Anyways, I really like the suspended monorail idea! I think that would work out better, and would look much more awesome!

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Perhaps a problem may occur with the rendering priority. Normal rails are rendered under the train but this system demands the opposite.

sonnyskare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonnyskare »

hitzu wrote:Perhaps a problem may occur with the rendering priority. Normal rails are rendered under the train but this system demands the opposite.
It would be lazy, but you could probably make the rails run underneath the train, and then just have the sprites for the train include the rail over them. But I think you would notice issues if your player model moved under them.

mischievousgod
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mischievousgod »

sonnyskare wrote:
hitzu wrote:Perhaps a problem may occur with the rendering priority. Normal rails are rendered under the train but this system demands the opposite.
It would be lazy, but you could probably make the rails run underneath the train, and then just have the sprites for the train include the rail over them. But I think you would notice issues if your player model moved under them.
Jump on that discussion wagon... I don't think that it would be lazy, it could work very well... Lay down the suspended tracks like eletricity poles, so the track would render like the eletric cables, on top of everything, and perhaps act like the cables too, there's no colision with the track/cables, only with the columns/poles that keep them up, them make the monorail elements (engine, wagons...) be "suspended" too so there's no colision with them, and render those on top of the tracks, with the track being rendered again with the monorail elements.

For me that's a doable fix.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

mischievousgod wrote:
sonnyskare wrote:
Jump on that discussion wagon... I don't think that it would be lazy, it could work very well... Lay down the suspended tracks like eletricity poles, so the track would render like the eletric cables, on top of everything, and perhaps act like the cables too, there's no colision with the track/cables, only with the columns/poles that keep them up, them make the monorail elements (engine, wagons...) be "suspended" too so there's no colision with them, and render those on top of the tracks, with the track being rendered again with the monorail elements.

For me that's a doable fix.
How about turns and switches?

Return to “Texture Packs”