[posila][0.17.24] Extreme flickering / black screens when not in fullscreen mode

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
lleylar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[posila][0.17.24] Extreme flickering / black screens when not in fullscreen mode

Post by lleylar »

Problem definitely not present in 0.16.

First seen (and reproduced) with simply accessing the changelog when I first started 0.17. The screen flickers like mad.

I also have a savefile with Pyanodon mods (and a bunch of QOL mods), and while most of the interface works nicely, if I try to access the crafting interface in some of the crafting tabs that have many items from pyanodon, the entire screen either flickers like mad, or stays mostly black with one frame visible every few seconds.

GPU usage & memory usage is completly normal, VSync is always active, and switching to fullscreen mode completly cancels the problem, which instantly reappears (in worse, somehow) when I switch back to non fullscreen.

Let me know if you need more info / logs / savefiles or anything. o/

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.24] Extreme flickering / black screens when not in fullscreen mode

Post by TruePikachu »

I've noticed black screen flickers as well, under my Win7 Aero configuration, though I haven't had much luck identifying what causes them, since GPUView depends on having seen the beginning of an ETW trace (preventing in-memory circular buffer recording), while recording to disk automatically stops after six minutes.

My best guess right now would be something related to blitting; what happens if you change (in your configuration file) the line

Code: Select all

; dxgi-presentation-model=copy
to

Code: Select all

dxgi-presentation-model=flip
(note removal of semicolon as well).

---

For consistency, it would be nice to know what OS type+version (e.g. Windows 7), as well as (in the case of Vista or 7) if you're using the Windows Aero or Windows Classic theme.

EDIT: Wait, you don't get the issue as much in fullscreen? That's really interesting to hear; do you have any other programs running in a visible window at the time, and do they use hardware acceleration?

lleylar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lleylar »

Soo:

dxgi-presentation-model=flip does seem to fix my issues.

It's all on Windows10 with the standard win10 theme.

> EDIT: Wait, you don't get the issue as much in fullscreen? That's really interesting to hear; do you have any other programs running in a visible window at the time, and do they use hardware acceleration?

Chrome with a few tabs including some inactive videos tabs. At one point I had an Eve Online client open on another monitor and that made things far worse, but when I just retested now it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

See also: 69330 and 68673

Edit: 69876
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila][0.17.24] Extreme flickering / black screens when not in fullscreen mode

Post by posila »

In 0.17.46 the dxgi-presentation-model will default to flip-discard on Windows 8 or higher.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”