Aliens attacking rails

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Ilirea
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Aliens attacking rails

Post by Ilirea »

Maybe it is intended but aliens seem to attack rails that don't interrupt their bases/ all unprotected rails whithout reason.
EDIT: Sorry for the Delay but I didn't think anyone would reply to this so fast. :)
In the attachment you can find the save file, where at the moment a small rail section north to the main factory was being destroyed. I hope this doesn't waste your time, as it seems quite unusual and is not one of the bugs concerning the whole community, so the issue might actually be based entirely on my own missunderstanding of the target selection.
Attachments
multiplayer 0.13.zip
(9.35 MiB) Downloaded 148 times
Last edited by Ilirea on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Aliens attacking rails

Post by Oxyd »

Post the save file, please.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

I've also seen this behaviour in the first version I played (it might have been the initial Steam release, but I'm not sure), in the tutorial of all places.

I think what happens is the bugs go from a "navigate to high pollution area" mode to a "destroy everything here" mode, find the track, and start destroying it.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I have not tested the save but I can confirm that bitters attacking rails is nothing rare at all in .12. I did not know that this is undesired behaviour.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

I loaded up your save and there is definitely an attack on one of your outposts going on, but no attack on rails.

aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

i can confirm about rail attack.. it happen often too on my map
rail attack.zip
(16.68 MiB) Downloaded 136 times
just drive around with a train, they often destroy rail after i pass by that rail

edit --- before 0.13, i have lost very few train or wagon to bitters for rail destroyed... on that single map, since 0.13 is released, i lost 5 full trains for rails destroyed by bitters (much more time in my map now than the one uploaded here) ... they really love rails now
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

I see. They were getting angry at the player and started destroying everything because they were angry.

I got rid of this anger mechanic for 0.13.5, that should fix the issue.

illmaren
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by illmaren »

why the hell are they even attacking rails? i mean the rails do nothing so why attacking them?

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Oxyd wrote:I got rid of this anger mechanic for 0.13.5, that should fix the issue.
Does this mean they'll only attack pollution generators, players, Military structures, and things that block their path? Belts won't be attacked either now?

floodo1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by floodo1 »

Oxyd wrote:I see. They were getting angry at the player and started destroying everything because they were angry.

Would that mechanic also include attacking chests? Before I realized that victory poling does not work the same in v0.13.x I had placed chests in random locations. Then, later, when I would attack alien bases and run away with many aliens chasing me some of them would stop and destroy my chests (then my personal roboport based construction robots would waste time replacing the chests in the midst of battle heh). To me this sounds exactly like the aliens "getting angry" at me and then destroying anything they can find (passive non-polluting items like chests).

I did not notice the same thing happening in 0.12.x, but I never did any specific testing to confirm.
Last edited by floodo1 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

TruePikachu wrote:
Oxyd wrote:I got rid of this anger mechanic for 0.13.5, that should fix the issue.
Does this mean they'll only attack pollution generators, players, Military structures, and things that block their path? Belts won't be attacked either now?
From what I understand they won't arrive at former player location and go into destroy mode there. From my "test" biters are still completely content with eating up belts once they done with that miner they didn't like.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

floodo1 wrote:
Oxyd wrote:I see. They were getting angry at the player and started destroying everything because they were angry.

Would that mechanic also include attacking chests? Before I realized that victory poling does not work the same in v0.13.x I had placed chests in random locations. Then, later, when I would attack alien bases and run away with many aliens chasing me some of them would stop and destroy my chests (then my personal roboport based construction robots would waste time replacing the chests in the midst of battle heh). To me this sounds exactly like the aliens "getting angry" at me and then destroying anything they can find (passive non-polluting items like chests).

I did not notice the same thing happening in 0.12.x, but I never did any specific testing to confirm.
Enemies attacking stuff they get stuck on is normal and not connected to becoming enraged I think, they even attack trees and spawners that way.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”