[MOD 0.12.x] Force Fields - energy powered walls

Topics and discussion about specific mods
SquarelyCircle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Force Fields - energy powered walls

Post by SquarelyCircle »

Dread_Lord369 wrote:Hey,

Also, I wanted to try to enable gates. I noticed that you must have had plans to add this functionality in, and it took a fair bit of reading and re-reading, but I managed to get gates working, (they are automatically placed on straight-rails now.) ;)
Would you mind if I uploaded my version as an 'unofficial update' to your mod?
Thanks,
Dread
That's really cool. I feel like gates shouldn't be as long as the forcefield itself. a gate might be 2-4 tiles wide, rather than 25. Perhaps adding an electric engine (or something) as an upgrade could add 1 tile of gates to the center, and every additional red engine would increase the size of the gate by 2 (1 tile in each direction). I agree that gates (especially over rails! :D ) would be a cool feature of this great mod.

Rseding91 wrote:
SquarelyCircle wrote:
vedrit wrote:
i.am.qix wrote:Please add support for blueprints and re-configuration. Having to reconfigure a bazillion force field walls makes this mod a tease since it's very fun but kind of unusable.
+1
Is there a reason blueprints can't save the settings on this?
The settings are stored in the Lua mod and not on the entity. Additionally there is no actual item that builds the final forcefield entity so the game has no way to know that it should use some unrelated item to build it.
Hmm. Perhaps there could be a variable adjusted in the item, and when the game goes to make a forcefield, it checks the variable of the item at that location, then adjusts what kind and direction it makes the forcefield. Well, perhaps to really implement such a feature, it would require more careful thought about when the variable was read, and what exactly it affected, but wouldn't something like that allow the mod to use blueprints correctly?

aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

hmm, why i cant close the tab of the emitter without absolutly having to apply changes.... like any other tabs? like pressing E open the crafting tab, and E again close it!!
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

SquarelyCircle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SquarelyCircle »

aRatNamedSammy wrote:hmm, why i cant close the tab of the emitter without absolutly having to apply changes.... like any other tabs? like pressing E open the crafting tab, and E again close it!!
Yeah, lots of mods have this problem. I actually can't think of one that has a custom UI window that doesn't have this problem.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

aRatNamedSammy wrote:hmm, why i cant close the tab of the emitter without absolutly having to apply changes.... like any other tabs? like pressing E open the crafting tab, and E again close it!!
Because it's a modded GUI and as such can't react to the normal game key presses.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

TimeDrawsNigh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TimeDrawsNigh »

Any plans to add gate functionality?

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

I'm trying to hack together a fix to get Force Fields to work in 0.15, and I'm wondering... why is there an item required to open the emitter configuration?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

vedrit wrote:I'm trying to hack together a fix to get Force Fields to work in 0.15, and I'm wondering... why is there an item required to open the emitter configuration?
Because the mod was created before hotkeys where a thing and at the time there was no way to make a mod GUI that opens when clicking an entity.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

I see. Well, that's a bit beyond me, so I've just made some simple changes.
Here's an unofficial patch, if you don't mind me posting it
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=48075

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Looking forward to a .15 release.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Would anyone be interested in taking over this mod? :)

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

I'm not claiming to be taking over this mod, mainly because I'm not familiar enough with Factorio modding to do a proper job of it.
However, I have made another unofficial patch for 0.16 compatibility
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=48075

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by lovely_santa »

I'll be taking over the mod, progress can be viewed on my github here

I'll first make it functional as it was with already some smaller features added

Afther that i'll look into adding requested features.

Be patient, i've got examens right now (university student, stuff like that). I'm expecting to have a first release between halfway february and begin march.

Greetings
lovely_santa
You can find all my mods on the mod portal. Also helping on Arch666Angel's mods.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

lovely_santa wrote:I'll be taking over the mod, progress can be viewed on my github here

I'll first make it functional as it was with already some smaller features added

Afther that i'll look into adding requested features.

Be patient, i've got examens right now (university student, stuff like that). I'm expecting to have a first release between halfway february and begin march.

Greetings
lovely_santa
We appreciate it. Any attempt to bring it to the latest version, with all it's modding features is appreciated.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by lovely_santa »

ZombieMooose wrote:We appreciate it. Any attempt to bring it to the latest version, with all it's modding features is appreciated.
As requested, I've put up an early release version that is functional in 0.16. Not realy looked into adding the features requested on this forum post, but I'll look into that when I'm finished with my examens.

Link to mod portal: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ForceFields2
Any issues, post in the discussion section on the mod portal or on my github issue page. Note: on github i'll get also an email notification ;) .

Greetings
- Lovely_santa
You can find all my mods on the mod portal. Also helping on Arch666Angel's mods.

Return to “Mods”