Output Switching

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Output Switching

Postby Sparkysam » Fri May 18, 2018 8:25 am

One thing that is very frustrating about oil production is the outputs, would there we a way in which moving which port they come out of? As one side is good and then you rotating the Building and the ports change so i don't have to do this Jenga game just for oil

see pictures below
Last edited by Koub on Fri May 18, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image
Sparkysam
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Output Switching

Postby Koub » Fri May 18, 2018 10:25 am

Very old suggestions : viewtopic.php?f=80&t=15472
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jap2.0 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:44 am

And input switching as well.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Postby Tekky » Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm

What I find especially annoying is that it is very hard to remember which pipe will be for what liquid. It is very hard to deduce that from the order of the ingredients in the recipe, because, with respect to the order of the ingredients, the position of the individual liquids is not consistent; chemical plants behave very differently when compared to refineries.

For example, if you rotate the chemical plant/refinery so that the input pipes are to the top and the output pipes are to the bottom, then, with the chemical plant, the first ingredient of the recipe will be in the left input pipe and the second one will be in the right input pipe. However, with refineries, it is the exact opposite: The first ingredient will be to the right and the second one will be to the left.

This inconsistency is very confusing. Therefore, I am strongly in favor of fixing this inconsistency. One way to do so would be to allow the user to change the order of the pipes.

This issue has already been discussed a bit in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45475 Advanced Oil Processing and Coal Liquification input resources
Tekky
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby bobingabout » Fri May 18, 2018 7:15 pm

An interesting thing is that a long time ago the order in which ingredients apeared for a recipe was changed to be defined by the order in which they were declared in the recipe. This was recently upturned, but it broke factories that used fluids, because they were suddenly in a different order when you loaded your savegame.

I don't sugest that this behavour should change, or go away, however, it wouldn't be as important as it is now if you were allowed to choose which input/output could be used for which fluid.

Although I don't have a solution to sugest for this problem, I do believe it is something that can be done.

do I not have a spellchecker running here? Seriously, I bet you can tell when I am, or arn't using one >.>
No matter what you do, you can't please everyone.
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Return to Ideas and Suggestions