Destroyed things drop inventory

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Game4Lols
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Destroyed things drop inventory

Post by Game4Lols »

Perhaps when a chest or car is destroyed, the inventory of said thing can be salvaged. I have a habit of crashing into my storage with tanks, and lose all items in the chests. It would be nice to take my tank into battle without worrying about whats inside too much either, taking extra ammo can almost be silly, as you can lose all of it if you die, unlike if you were to die as a character, where you do drop your stuff.
Just an idea. Might be a mod already.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Destroyed things drop inventory

Post by mp0011 »

Full chest of green Circuits (10k items) would explode, and cover area of 100x100 tiles. Have a nice cleaning...
Destroyed tank full of stuff... 3x more?

I had once cancelled some crafting with full inventory. Player "exploded" covering whole factory with steel plates. I was cleaning it over an hour, and still finds some plates in different places... That was fun...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Fun fact is that it used to be like that a looooooooong time ago. And it was changed purposefully. So I doubt it will ever get reversed.
kovarex wrote:Removed so called "item bomb" effect. It happened When the player tried to a mine chest that contained items that couldn't fit his inventory. Instead of dropping all the items on the ground around (which could be A LOT of items in some cases), the mining just fails, while player gets as many items from the chest as possible.
Source
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Could something happen similar to the gravestones for players?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

Ever tried the hard crafting mod? Early mining gives you a TON of leftover dirt and gravel. The ONLY way to deal with it early game is by putting it in a bunch of chests, then shotgunning them down. Otherwise, you just stockpile dirt and gravel until they take over the entire world...

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Selvek wrote:Ever tried the hard crafting mod? Early mining gives you a TON of leftover dirt and gravel. The ONLY way to deal with it early game is by putting it in a bunch of chests, then shotgunning them down. Otherwise, you just stockpile dirt and gravel until they take over the entire world...
There is void chest mod. It is simple chest and everything you put in disappears immediately. It is very practical if you have modded recipes with huge amounts of side products.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Game4Lols wrote:Perhaps when a chest or car is destroyed, the inventory of said thing can be salvaged.
I strongly disagree. I would like that also items on belts or entities destroyed by weapons (especially with nuclear bomb) would disappear. It is very annoying to clean up stuff from ground even I use commands to do it. Any stuff is no so valuable in Factorio, if you do not have ultra poor settings.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

I would suggest doing it for the reason that it is annoying.
At the moment if you destroy a chest the items disappear, so for by-products like the dirt and gravel (or bob's mods white fluffy things of annoyance) you just blow them up.
If they all dropped on the floor then you would have a consequence for your bad driving/biter attacks. It would give you incentive NOT to do it.
As for cleaning it all up, use bots... the deconstruction planner has had an "items on ground" option for a while now.

Game4Lols
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Game4Lols »

The contents wouldn't necessarily have to be hurled across multiple tiles. I was more meaning that a destroyed chest would create a ghost that, upon replacing with a chest again, would have it's previous contents restored. Much like when you die now, your items are nicely tucked away into a temporary storage that is your corpse. I don't know exactly how it would work, but it's better than accidentally plowing through your valuables with a tank :/

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Game4Lols wrote:I was more meaning that a destroyed chest would create a ghost that, upon replacing with a chest again, would have it's previous contents restored. Much like when you die now, your items are nicely tucked away into a temporary storage that is your corpse.
It's possible. Before the chest will be restored, write all contents to global. If new chest will be placed on his ghost (do we have event for this?), place his content back.
For performance it must be reset after few minutes or some hundred destroyed chests.

Or if remnants are also lootable chests, it will be much easier to loot them or replace with new entity and taking all content from it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:Fun fact is that it used to be like that a looooooooong time ago. And it was changed purposefully. So I doubt it will ever get reversed.
kovarex wrote:Removed so called "item bomb" effect. It happened When the player tried to a mine chest that contained items that couldn't fit his inventory. Instead of dropping all the items on the ground around (which could be A LOT of items in some cases), the mining just fails, while player gets as many items from the chest as possible.
Source
I just wish "mining fails" would also happen with all non-chests. It's so extremely aggravating when you remove a bunch of assemblers, poles, etc and then a minute later notice that half your factory is now on the ground because your inventory was full.

@Game4Lols: Storing them in ghosts is a nice idea. Not too difficult to mod in either.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

... would be a griefers dream methinks, to be able to detonate an item bomb in the middle of an enemy factory and mess up half the belts in there. Too easy to grind a forest using bots to get a few stacks of wood, make one wooden chest... toss a grenade on it... blammo, woodsplosion.
Losing the contents of a destroyed chest is annoying, but still better then the alternative.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”