[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Assembly Machines

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What type of Assembly machine should I add next?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:02 pm

A simple burner powered assembly machine for earlygame
30%
2x2 assembly machines
25%
4x4 assembly machines
45%

Total votes: 20

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Assembly Machines

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

I haven't played with the Electronics Assemblers much because I had already built up the majority of my circuit build before they were released.
But the one thing I have noticed is they appear off centre (to the right). It's not a huge issue, just enough to make builds visually unappealing to my obsessive want for neatness. And inserters look like they are half out of range.

TrollofReason
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TrollofReason »

I just stopped using electronic assemblers all together. Faster speed is a non-issue for me once things start getting automated; ultimately they're self-limiting, and contrary to previous statements - no, I have to hand-craft the components I need to make the assemblers that I want to take care of that for me. So I have to use regular assemblers, anyway. I could then "upgrade" to electronic assemblers, but that would require time-consuming retooling since the electronic ones are a different size, and everything has to stop and between that and the slower crafting speed for regular assemblers means that I'm wasting a lot of time.

:roll: Why am I even bothering to waste my science packs?

Edit addendum: And at the risk of sounding overly harsh, the only difference I've noticed in the introduction of electronic assemblers is that things take more time because the regular ones got unnecessarily nerfed rather than the electronic assemblers getting a substantial buff at the cost of increased energy consumption and/or pollution production.
Last edited by TrollofReason on Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

the standard assemblers weren't nerfed. I just added the new electronic ones, that are faster, I didn't change the old ones.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Hi Bob. I'm a big fan of Bob's Mods and all the tiers of everything (I alternate worlds with and without electronics, for some reason they annoy me to no end occasionally)
However I haven't seen anything for Tiers Oil Refineries, which can leave my T4 Chemical Plants out numbers later on in the game. Is there a chance to have tiers of the Refineries?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I was thinking about that the other day actually, T2 and T3 oil refinery would be a good addition, Maybe T4, depends on scaling. But what mod would I put it in?
In fact I have been considering renaming assembly to production machines, and adding a lot of the machies currently in MCI into it. Chemical plants 2 through 4, Electrolysers etc. the tech tree would need tweaking a bit to be dynamic to work with or without certain machines, but some stuff like the chemical burner, mixing furnace and electrolyser MK1 and would probably need to remain in MCI either way. That's one of the reasons why I havn't done it yet, the question of what goes where.
I also have a Patreon.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

That's always the trickiest question. What goes where.

Does it make your job harder if it was duplicated?
I mean having all the upgrades of machines in the assembly/production mod, and have the absolute minimum in the plates mod (enough to make it work on its own)

So the chemical furnace (electric too) in both assembly and plates. But assembly having all the tiered versions.
...if you get what I mean.

That would allow it to be modular but still allow extra in assembly and plates it's still functional with the chemical/metal mixing.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Would you also consider higher tier electric furnaces?
It also seems to be missing from tiers currently along with the oil refineries.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:Would you also consider higher tier electric furnaces?
Although there are no higher tier furnaces, that role is essentially covered by the higher tier Electric Multi-purpose Furnace. Both the multi-purpse, and the mixing furnace will allow you to use the standard furnace recipes in them, electric chemical furnace might too, I forget, I know the Boiler (the chemical burner version) doesn't.
I also have a Patreon.

retep998
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.7] Bob's Assembly Machines

Post by retep998 »

I'd just like to point out that the electronic assembling machine ingame sprites are somewhat offset, and hopefully it can be fixed for my own sanity.

(I originally accidentally posted this in the wrong topic)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I've also noticed this. And I think it changed with one of recent factorio updates since I recall them bein properly centered before. Might be imagining thing tho ;)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I made a small fix for this - you need to edit shift value for electrionc assembly machines to 0.6, -0.09.
It's not perfect but close. No idea why this broke but shift fix is enough to fix it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Assembly Machines

Post by bobingabout »

Assembly 0.12.8:
* Change Electronics machine recipe to use basic circuit board, remove electronics research requirement.
* Re-aligned Electronics machine offsets.

First point makes it possible to play without having to hand craft a circuit to build the machine required to craft the circuit.
Second one is just a graphical bug fix.
I also have a Patreon.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

bobingabout wrote:* Re-aligned Electronics machine offsets.
Aaaah, excellent!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Supercheese wrote:
bobingabout wrote:* Re-aligned Electronics machine offsets.
Aaaah, excellent!
I actually did it months ago, but never released it because I thought I might add other changes.
After looking down my list I decided that not only do I not have anything else planned for this mod before 0.13, but the changes were significant enough to publish.
I also have a Patreon.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

Do you think you'll follow-up on the 3x3 or 4x4 Large Electronics Assembler mentioned in the poll? There's only so many express inserters you can place into a 2x2 assembler for maximum throughput with bots and logistic chests. Unless you add a Very Long-Armed Inserter for Bob's Logisitics to allow for up to 8 inserters per 2x2 assembler.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

bigyihsuan wrote:Do you think you'll follow-up on the 3x3 or 4x4 Large Electronics Assembler mentioned in the poll? There's only so many express inserters you can place into a 2x2 assembler for maximum throughput with bots and logistic chests. Unless you add a Very Long-Armed Inserter for Bob's Logisitics to allow for up to 8 inserters per 2x2 assembler.
Actually, the pole is about normal assembling machines. They are still on my todo list, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

The Electronics Assembling machine is one of the ideas I came up with for implementing a viable 2x2 machine.

The problem with implementing suggestions like those in my pole though is that when I get time to do modding, I have to choose from my list what gets done first, and it's typically hole areas like Greenhouses, new tanks, or even higher tier Radars that meet the selection, rather than a slightly bigger assembling machine, when you already have assembling machines in there.

Don't worry though, I haven't forgotten, assuming my attention stays on Factorio long enough, I will get around to it eventually.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I wasn't sure where to ask so will try here - would you consider expanding on electric furnaces and refineries line for higher tiers?
Using chemial or multi-purpose furnaces seems a bit strange for normal smelting and higher tier refiners that match your upgrade paths would be nice.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Refineries are planned, not sure when I'll get around to it though.

The structure of the furnaces have come up several times, but there are currently no plans to change it to anything beyond the multi-purpose furnace.

The actual structure of the tech tree is under consideration though, there may be some changes as to what techs unlock what.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.9] Bob's Assembly Machines

Post by bobingabout »

0.12.9 update:
fixed an error with the assembling machine 1 circuit board replacement that could cause a crash on load.
I also have a Patreon.

elementalist
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.9] Bob's Assembly Machines

Post by elementalist »

The download for 12.9 isn't available, on the gamemod link. Dropbox link worked fine.

Return to “Bob's mods”