[MOD 0.12.x] Large, filterable chests

Topics and discussion about specific mods
johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] Large, filterable chests

Post by johanwanderer »

I have always wanted to build a factory without using (much) transport belts, but that requires large (dimension-wise, not storage-wise) chests that can reserve its slots for various types of items.

Searching the forum does not result in any hits, so I decided to roll one myself.
Version 0.11.5 works in multiplayer mode.
Version 0.12.6 works in Factorio 0.12.0.
Version 0.12.11 works in Factorio 0.12.11.

Enjoy! And let me know if it works/doesn't work for you.
Long.

Type: Mod
Name: Long's Large Chests Mod
Description: Larger size chests (2x2, 3x3, 5x5) that can be filtered.
License: http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
Version: 0.12.6
Release: 2015-07-20
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.0
Category: SimpleExtension
Tags: Storage
Website: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=13312
Download-Url:
LongLargeChests_0.12.11.zip
LongLargeChests_0.11.5.zip
*Note: please use version 0.12.x for Factorio 0.12.x, and version 0.11.x for Factorio version 0.11.x. Also, version 0.12.11 works with Factorio 0.12.11 and later.
License
Long description
Pictures
More screenshots: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 312#p89570
Version history
Full changelog: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 312#p89568 (and in changelog.txt within the mod itself).
Previous versions
Last edited by johanwanderer on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:27 am, edited 16 times in total.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Large, filterable chests

Post by johanwanderer »

Change log:
===========
- Version 0.0.1: Initial version based on steel chests
- Provides 1x3, 2x3, 3x3, 1x5, 2x5, 3x5, and 5x5 chests. Not filterable.

- Version 0.0.2: Rework to base on cargo wagons.
- Removes the 1x3, 2x3, 1x5, 2x5, and 3x5 chests.

- Version 0.0.3: Allow chests to be placed off-grid via temporary rail segments.
- Chests can now be placed without placing rail.

- Version 0.11.4: Re-version to match Factorio's version requirements, i.e. 0.11.x will work with Factorio 0.11.x.
- Add 2x2 chest.
- Rename entities, etc. via migration scripts.

- Version 0.11.5: Add multiplayer support.
- Fix ghost-build bug.

- Version 0.12.5: Rework for Factorio 0.12.x.

- Version 0.12.6: Programatically generate entities.
- Decrease requirements from steel chests (plus rail tech) to iron chests to allow earlier usage.

- Version 0.12.7: Hide the non-item items.

- Version 0.12.11: Make the mod compatible with Factorio 0.12.11 and later.
Last edited by johanwanderer on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

More screen shots:

Sorting belts with the filtered chests:
screenshot-3.png
Filtering:
screenshot-2.png
Last edited by johanwanderer on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

OMG YES! YES! This is the thing that I have wanted for as long as I've been playing. This is the thing that prompted me first sign up for the forums and my first post was to suggest this be added to vanilla. This is exactly what I have been searching for all this time. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthanyou.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

MadZuri wrote:OMG YES! YES! This is the thing that I have wanted for as long as I've been playing. This is the thing that prompted me first sign up for the forums and my first post was to suggest this be added to vanilla. This is exactly what I have been searching for all this time. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthanyou.
Let me know how it work out. I have yet to start a fresh game with the mod, so I have not have a chance to build a new base around the new chests. (Too busy trying to mod in an electric boiler :))

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

It might be useful to have 1x1 and 2x2 boxes as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to start a new game around it... I'm a little attached to my megabase. I'm sure I can figure out the mod and implement those sizes myself if I wanted to. The 2x2 would be incredibly useful for rail systems.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

MadZuri wrote:It might be useful to have 1x1 and 2x2 boxes as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to start a new game around it... I'm a little attached to my megabase. I'm sure I can figure out the mod and implement those sizes myself if I wanted to. The 2x2 would be incredibly useful for rail systems.
Yeah, the (bad) graphics are already there for some of the sizes. I just got tired of copy/paste/replace for the various elements and decided to stick with the two that I think will be most useful. Let me know if you find a particular size more useful than others and I'll just add it to the mod.

666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 666JTK666 »

Let me Second the request for 2x2 size chest.
If there could be logistic versions of these it would make a great mod even more fantastic.
Big 2 thumb's up for this.
:D

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

666JTK666 wrote:Let me Second the request for 2x2 size chest.
If there could be logistic versions of these it would make a great mod even more fantastic.
I'll add the 2x2 size later today. As far as making them logistic, I don't think that's possible right now. They can either be filtered or logistic, but not both. Besides, I think the existing logistic chests work just fine.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

MadZuri wrote:It might be useful to have 1x1 and 2x2 boxes as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to start a new game around it... I'm a little attached to my megabase. I'm sure I can figure out the mod and implement those sizes myself if I wanted to. The 2x2 would be incredibly useful for rail systems.
666JTK666 wrote:Let me Second the request for 2x2 size chest.
2x2 chest added. I also re-version the mod to 0.11.4 (instead of just 0.0.4) so that when Factorio 0.12 comes about, I can make a version 0.12 for it.

666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 666JTK666 »

I think I am not using these chests in the way they are intended. re reading the op and viewing the pictures again I have realized that for my purposes these chests should not be used in high bulk buffer situations like rail unloading. I am vary new to the game in fact still playing my vary first world and I have so vary much to learn. Please explain how the filtering works. I have tried clicking on an empty stack thinking it would act like a smart inserter and present a menu screen of items to reserve for that stack. nothing happens when I do that.
Oh btw thank you for adding the 2x2 size.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

666JTK666 wrote:I think I am not using these chests in the way they are intended. re reading the op and viewing the pictures again I have realized that for my purposes these chests should not be used in high bulk buffer situations like rail unloading. I am vary new to the game in fact still playing my vary first world and I have so vary much to learn. Please explain how the filtering works. I have tried clicking on an empty stack thinking it would act like a smart inserter and present a menu screen of items to reserve for that stack. nothing happens when I do that.
Oh btw thank you for adding the 2x2 size.
Filtering is done by middle-clicking (default key bindings) the empty slot, and allows you to reserve that slot for a particular type of item. This way, if you have a stream of different items being put into a chest at various rates, it is guaranteed that the chest won't fill up with just the most abundant items.

For example, let's supposed I have two assembling machines using the same chest for both inputs and outputs, one for copper coil, and one for green circuits. I also have two belts feeding the chest with copper plates and iron plates, and one belt draining the chest of green circuits. Without reservation, the chest is likely to be filled with plates, cutting off both machines because they can no longer place their outputs into the chest. With at least one slot each reserved for coils and green circuits, the machine will always have a place to put their output (assuming the chest is not full).

If you want to use the chest without filtering / reservation, you can. If you think the inventory size is too small, just unzip the mod, look for a file called entities.lua, and look for the line:

Code: Select all

inventory_size = xx
(Currently xx is 8 for the 2x2 chest, 18 for the 3x3, and 50 for the 5x5)

And change that value to what you need.

666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 666JTK666 »

Thank you for explaining how your chests work. Now I know why I could not seem to set the filters. I am using a 2 button mouse. A 3 button mouse will get picked up in the next few day's.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

666JTK666 wrote:Thank you for explaining how your chests work. Now I know why I could not seem to set the filters. I am using a 2 button mouse. A 3 button mouse will get picked up in the next few day's.
I hope you didn't get a new mouse just because of what I wrote. If you use a mouse with a clickable scroll wheel, that counts as the middle button as well.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

Added another screenshot to the 2nd post.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I don't really want filterable Chests, but I'd be super keen on getting over-sized Chests wiith footprints of particularly 4x4 tiles, but also 2x2, 3x3 and 5x5.

Is it posible to get made a variant of this mod that omits the filter functions entirely?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

If I understand correctly how it's done you can simply use those chests without setting up any filters.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

orzelek wrote:If I understand correctly how it's done you can simply use those chests without setting up any filters.
That's not how the dynamic of MP works.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

I was going to wait until 0.12 come to upload a new revision. Since it didn't come out last Friday, I figured I might as well make a build while waiting.

Changes:
- Version 0.11.5: Add multiplayer support.
- Fix ghost-build bug.

Download link / main post: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=13312
Changelog: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 312#p89568
Screenshots: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 312#p89570

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Large, filterable chests

Post by johanwanderer »

Uploaded version 0.12.5 for Factorio 0.12.0.
Please continue to use version 0.11.5 for Factorio 0.11.x.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=13312

Return to “Mods”