[1.1.107] Game crash after using LuaSurface::request_to_generate_chunks

Bugs that are actually features.
ness056
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.107] Game crash after using LuaSurface::request_to_generate_chunks

Post by ness056 »

Hello there,

I wanted to create a really big test map for some mod debugging, so I made a new save and used the command: /c game.player.surface.request_to_generate_chunks({0,0}, 1000) but after using it a really weird crash happened, as you can see in the attached screenshot my RAM (and also the swap I believe since my drive also went crazy) got filled in like 30s (the graph is 1min long) and after filling it, the game just crashed, leaving absolutely no error in the log file.
Then, after trying again, I discovered that the crash always happens when I use this method in the command, I tried to restart my pc and to reinstall the game but it didn't fix the crash. However, this crash only happens on my Linux Mint os, when I try on my Windows 10 os, it doesn't crash.
Another weird thing is that I often play the Biter Battles scenario, which uses this method all the time, but there, my game doesn't crash, the crash only happens when using the method inside of the console.
If you need any information about my os or my hardware (which I guess are the problem) that the log file doesn't give, I'd be please to give that to you.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2024-04-30 01-40-10.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-30 01-40-10.png (57.45 KiB) Viewed 184 times
factorio-current.log
(4.83 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.107] Game crash after using LuaSurface::request_to_generate_chunks

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I don’t think you understand what you’re asking the game to do. You asked for a radius of 1000 chunks, or in other words: 2000x2000 chunks (4,000,000 chunks). That at some rough calculations would take around 19 gigabyte of RAM to just exist before entities generate.

I think what you actually wanted was a 1000x1000 tile area which would be a chunk radius of 32.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ness056
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.107] Game crash after using LuaSurface::request_to_generate_chunks

Post by ness056 »

Oh, I thought the radius was in tile, not in chunk... That's my bad...

Return to “Not a bug”