Techtonica makes me depressed. Factorio could be real 3D

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Techtonica makes me depressed. Factorio could be real 3D

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tertius wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 pm
[...] many 3D games make me suffer from motion sickness. About 2/3 of all the modern 3D games make me sick and I have to abandon them. [...]
Simple curiosity question: are these mainly 1st/3rd person perspective games that give you the motion sickness? How are top-down or other non-character bound (think God controller) 3D games for you?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:22 pm
Tertius wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 pm
[...] many 3D games make me suffer from motion sickness. About 2/3 of all the modern 3D games make me sick and I have to abandon them. [...]
Simple curiosity question: are these mainly 1st/3rd person perspective games that give you the motion sickness? How are top-down or other non-character bound (think God controller) 3D games for you?
1st person is worst. Fast and abrupt turning is bad. 3rd person depends, may be ok. The wider the FOV the better, and the larger the distance from the camera to the person the better. What makes me sick in the first place is if the camera moves in a way I didn't initiate (or better: my brain thinks it didn't initiate). Hardcoded cutscenes that move the camera, for example killing moves or animations of mounting/dismounting a mount when the animations catches the camera and not just show the character performing the animation. Or riding a mount and not being able to avoid a sudden obstacle because the mount has a too large turning circle. I hammer the turn left/turn right key, but the mount doesn't turn but crashes into the obstacle. Or getting stuck on an obstacle. Especially bad and almost instant migraine is camera bobbing, for example walking up a staircase with camera bobbing. Most games today have a setting to turn this off, but unfortunately not all.

The more independent the camera from character movement and the more direct the camera control, the better. The more zoom out the better. Factorio's spidertron movement with its back and forth swinging is at the edge of being bad. It's unpleasant but fortunately not causing migraine for me.
Very bad: Bioshock, Tomb Raider. Causing migraine after 2-3 hours: all Bethesda games (Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) and Fallout 3. For some reason not a single issue and very pleasant to play: Baldurs Gate 3.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tertius wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 7:01 pm
Thank you for the in-depth explanation. :)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

aka13 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 pm
Highly depents on the sprites. I remember the old days, the sprites would not be nice to revisit :D. Old nintendo games also look like shit, if you remove the nostalgia goggles.
Can't help it. Even some games from the NES/SNES era I still find visually pleasing after all this time. xD
aka13 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 pm
Also highly depends on the 3d graphics age, imo. Games from around 2010 onwards, which are designed well, still look good.
Maybe that is because the development slowed down. They reached a point were even more realism would take an unreasonable amount more computing power to achieve. At least with all the shadowing/illumination techniques, reflections and whatnot. ^^

But that said, there are still some areas where the development is totally noticeable; at least for me.

For example anything that is organic... kinda suffers the uncanny valley effect; you immediately notice if it looks good or bad because your mind always uses reality as the bar of measurement. Not just for humans, but characters in general. Including even aliens, animals and plants.
That is where games from 2010 look outdated in comparison to one made in 2020 or even now. And I wouldn't wonder if that will continue to be the case for quite a while to come even beyond 2030. ^^

Return to “Off topic”