Friday Facts #410 - Rocket turret & Target priorities

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Kraastoron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #410 - Rocket turret & Target priorities

Post by Kraastoron »

Hmm one problem though:

Atomic bomb:
"Area of effect size: 35"

Rocket turret:
"Minimum range of 15, and a max range of 36 (improved +10% for each quality level)."

I' recommend bumping quality improvement stronger (given that biters targeted move towards your base) eg. max range 50 - making nuclear defence an actually viable option. Or maybe weaker nuclear rockets (intermediary between explosive rockets and atomic bombs) with AOE ~20?

Justderpingalong
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

So... if we're gonna be making spoodertrons out of rocket turrets... does this mean rocket turrets have a fish in their recipe?

AUTOMATED FISHING?!?!!?

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Ah nice. Finally approaching tower defense games. xD

Anyway I wonder how to properly set the target priority with circuit network.
Kinda needs some proximity sensor or the likes that can give you signals depending on what kind of enemies, asteroids etc are close so that you can make a dynamic decision on what to take out first.
Otherwise I wouldn't know why I would want to override a manually set list.

Unlocked on one of the three initial planets.
Also alternate starts other than Nauvis confirmed. Kinda wasn't sure if we could start on one of the other planets before that. ^^

mmmPI wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 12:09 pm
[picture]

My speculation is that it highlight the statistics improved by having the item in higher quality. And if that's the case i like it very much.
Yea, I also assume it is to indicate which stats are improved with quality.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

actually having the ability to set ignore targets in the artillery turret would be nice to have,
as for the most part i want the nests gone,
and unless i am going to visit a location,
i couldn't care less about the worms.

i mostly want the waves of biters (and spitters) to stop so my defenses can take a break.

this filter ability could also be useful in some custom scenarios as well, so perhaps a mod could add this functionality even if it's not in vanilla.

ESI85
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ESI85 »

β€ži mostly want the waves of biters (and spitters) to stop so my defenses can take a breakβ€ž

What do you mean with this?
You could time the insertion of an artillery shell.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I've always wished for target priorities in this game!

---------------------------------------------
jaenster wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 11:24 am
These rockets are searching towards their target. I see a lot of path finding going on, or does it just move towards its target? Doesnt this really slow down your UPS if you have a full wall rocket turrets shooting rockets with target seeking devices?
It's not pathfinding.

---------------------------------------------
MeduSalem wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 12:31 pm
Also alternate starts other than Nauvis confirmed. Kinda wasn't sure if we could start on one of the other planets before that. ^^
Hmm, I took this to mean one of the 3 after Nauvis, though clarification could be good here.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 1:01 pm
Hmm, I took this to mean one of the 3 after Nauvis, though clarification could be good here.
True. It is not entirely clear what they mean.

I for example take "initial planets" meaning... that you can start on them.
If you need space platforms and colonize an additional planet to get to the technology... well it would not be "initial" for me. It would then be rather "intermediate". ^^

Brambor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brambor »

> The artillery turret does not support the priorities/filters, due to the way the optimized artillery shooting logic works. This probably isn't a big problem because we should just kill everything anyway.

To save ammo I sometimes try really hard to keep the worms alive. I would love a toggle to only shoot spawners.

zhonbi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zhonbi »

Could we rename the rocket weapons to missiles? Just to avoid confusion with space-launched rockets.

Lavacaste
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lavacaste »

I dont like the design. First, it looks like spidertron, the spidertron should feel unique. And its kinda cute, compared to militaristic design of machinegun turrets and laser turrets, which are essentialy just a weapon placed onto a turret. I understand that rocket tracking requires some kind of a brainwork, so maybe place a distinctly visible antenna on the weapon instead of the cute glowing eyes, or a radar dish.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Absolutely love new turrets and circuit connections!

One step we are missing in this regard is actually a detection device which would enable/disable turrets based on the presence of enemies in range. This would be absolutely awesome to handle idle turret power consumption!

And also second this:
zhonbi wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 1:19 pm
Could we rename the rocket weapons to missiles? Just to avoid confusion with space-launched rockets.

ChefOfRamen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ChefOfRamen »

The fact that they didn't specify which one means it's definitely going to be Aquilo.

mcmase
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcmase »

Fri May 10, 2024 1:06 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 1:01 pm
True. It is not entirely clear what they mean.

I for example take "initial planets" meaning... that you can start on them.
If you need space platforms and colonize an additional planet to get to the technology... well it would not be "initial" for me. It would then be rather "intermediate". ^^
I do think they mean "initial" for the expansion.

If I'm remembering correctly, sometime shortly after the first announcement they confirmed that you would always start on Nauvis, and when you went to space, you would have three "initial" planets to choose from, the order that you picked them would greatly impact your journey due to the unique technologies found on each. Then, after all three were visited, a "final" planet would become available. So Vulcanis, Fulgora are both of the initial three.

Rocket turret looks cool, glad to have more details and control over all turrets. We 1000% need new enemies besides asteroids in the expansion. Holding my breath until we get details!

mcmase
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcmase »

ChefOfRamen wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 1:33 pm
The fact that they didn't specify which one means it's definitely going to be Aquilo.
Have we learned anything about Aquilo other than the name? I forgot they dropped the name, I forget where we learned that...

Military planet, hopefully?

Edit: typo
Last edited by mcmase on Fri May 10, 2024 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkerrittT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SkerrittT »

Yet another great Friday Facts.
I am seriously looking forward to 2.0.
Thank you for all your excellent work. I am sure the enjoyment your team gets from creating these enhancements will only (again) be exceeded by the enjoyment experienced by your players.
Thanks again ! 😎

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

mcmase wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 1:35 pm
I do think they mean "initial" for the expansion.

If I'm remembering correctly, sometime shortly after the first announcement they confirmed that you would always start on Nauvis, and when you went to space, you would have three "initial" planets to choose from, the order that you picked them would greatly impact your journey due to the unique technologies found on each. Then, after all three were visited, a "final" planet would become available. So Vulcanis, Fulgora are both of the initial three.
May be so, I have no problem if we always have to start on Nauvis, even if some variety would be welcome. ^^

That said if it is like that then calling the other 3 planets "initial" is.... simply put... the wrong terminology for it.
Because they simply aren't initial. They are not the start, beginning or origin of anything.
Instead they are the middle/intermediate part of the journey.

Nauvis is the initial planet; because you start/begin there.

Vulcanis, Fulgora, and the 3rd planet however are intermediate planets on the way to the final planet.

Anything else sounds misleading.

lez b anne
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lez b anne »

There is another part of the Space Age expansion where target filtering will play a crucial role, but that is for another week...
Andross!? (lol)

ChefOfRamen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ChefOfRamen »

mcmase wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 1:36 pm
ChefOfRamen wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 1:33 pm
Have we learned anything about Aquilo other than the name? I forgot they dropped the name, I forget where we learned that...

Military planet, hopefully?

Edit: typo
It's visible in the music sheet in FFF-406. The name of the final planet is also visible, but it's hard to make out the exact spelling. (I've seen different people read it as Glebe, Gliebe, and Glieba)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Engimage wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 1:26 pm
And also second this:
zhonbi wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 1:19 pm
I'd almost advocate for the reverse, if we're talking the weapon itself (and not the ammo; the ammo is likely the same/shared between the two).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Phauxstus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Phauxstus »

That's cool, I bet we're getting them on the green planet. But now I also want shotgun, discharge, and cannon turrets...

Could we get a circuit connection output for turrets that reads when they're active? You could use a drop in the ammo output to hack it together, but it wouldn't work for ammo-less turrets, and it would be nicer to just have it directly.
I mean, you get notifications for turrets engaging the enemy already. Why can they output that info to your personal UI, but not to the signal network?

Return to β€œNews”