Save and Load Quickbar Layouts like blueprints

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TheApokari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2026 9:59 am
Contact:

Re: [0.17.x] Save and Load Quickbar Layouts like blueprints

Post by TheApokari »

Just curious, but has there been a comment from the dev team about implementing this kind of feature in the base game?
Because this the kind of one of the reasons why I play Factorio less than I actually want and can (:

It seems to me that the options menu could have a section on quickbar profiles and one can configure those in the menu while in or out of a game.

Have one of them as the preferred one will set that profile at the start of a game (potentially have non existing entities removed depending on mods).

Changing the quickbar in game on the fly (i.e. not via the menu) then does not change the initial profile, as to not mess up the profiles.

Adding a button (possibly with hotkeys) to change the quickbar profile while in game would also be great.


(I'm new here on the forum, so no Idea if these kind of suggestions are supposed to be posted here... :sweat_smile:)
eugenekay
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 am
Contact:

Re: [0.17.x] Save and Load Quickbar Layouts like blueprints

Post by eugenekay »

TheApokari wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2026 10:36 am Just curious, but has there been a comment from the dev team about implementing this kind of feature in the base game?
Because this the kind of one of the reasons why I play Factorio less than I actually want and can (:
I have not seen an Official Statement, no. However, the Quickbar Templates mod is owned by raiguard, who is a Wube Software employee. This is probably not worth the effort to incorporate it into the Game Engine directly.

The previously-mentioned Quickbar Import/Export (same idea; not by an Employee) has been updated for 2.1 Experimental (which changed the Quickbar LUA API slightly).
User avatar
jamiechi1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: Save and Load Quickbar Layouts like blueprints

Post by jamiechi1 »

Looks like Raigards Quickbar Templates mod was abandoned.
Found this message on Github.
This repository was archived by the owner on Aug 15, 2025. It is now read-only.
Comments on the mod portal are locked.

I miss this mod. It was much better than the V2.1 replacements.
Alfonse215
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2024 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Save and Load Quickbar Layouts like blueprints

Post by Alfonse215 »

It may be abandoned, but the code-links on the mod portal page go to codeberg, not GitHub.

Also, it's MIT licensed, so anybody can pick it up if they want.
dalindes
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Save and Load Quickbar Layouts like blueprints

Post by dalindes »

Any hope for this?

I know I'm not alone in wanting it...

(There's arguably fighting words in the statement at that link, too... y'all gonna let this stand? ;) )

Would love to see it... I think I've been wanting this since shortly after FFF-278 (>7½ years)... (Including wanting it for unmodded games... I did try out the mods, which were great to have, but I tend to mostly be in vanilla (+space age)).
dalindes
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Save and Load Quickbar Layouts like blueprints

Post by dalindes »

[Note: the following post is some rambling thoughts that I express in a very vague hope that maybe there'll be something useful here for devs trying to wrap their head around the various ways this could be done, and decide on one (in hopes that that's a thing, hehee). There probably isn't, 'cause you've probably thought about it a lot more than I have, but.... yeah, if nothing else, just voicing thoughts as evidence that I'd really really like this.]

P.S. Just had a thought on a potential implementation modality. I guess exporting the hotbar might still need a new button or something (though, perhaps just something in the settings menu (or even "the rest"??) when launched from in-game, rather than something in the toolbar?), but then it just gives a zipped json file like blueprints and blueprint books to, except the top-level key is "hotbar" or "quickbar" or whatever, and then for importing, it just uses the existing UI for importing blueprint strings as a starting point, with a simple dialogue box saying something like "this will overwrite all your current quickbar settings. Do you wish to proceed?" with "overwrite" and "cancel" options.

So, some UI is needed, but hopefully not too much, and then the json is just an array of 10 arrays of 10 [or more, for those who've hacked settings] identifiers... the biggest gotcha being how to represent blueprints/books... which maybe you punt on? Or maybe start storing a UUID, regenerated each time a blueprint/book gets exported[0], and if that uuid isn't present (or you want to just punt on having blueprint support at all), it just leaves that slot in the quickbar blank.

Anyway, would obviously love to see this. Either way, thanks for all you've done over this last decade or so... this game is just so so good. [...so so good that I care enough to want it to be that little bit better, still.]

[0] ?? - this might be a bad idea, I guess... certainly could create problems with those of us who make blueprints from code and/or by hand-editing JSON, where one might get distinct blueprints with the same UUID -- though I guess one could also store a SHAsum or similar, and if that doesn't match the (rest of the) contents, it gets assigned a new UUID on import?? I dunno, spitballing here.
Post Reply

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”