[MOD 0.13] Zythum - Clean crafting UI with ANY mod!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
cbrx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.13] Zythum - Clean crafting UI with ANY mod!

Post by cbrx »

Type: Mod
Name: zythum
Description: Modding Factorio is great fun, playing with cluttered, weirdly sorted UI is not! This mod will resort your crafting and filtering UI, no matter what mod you have installed!
License: CC BY-NC-SA
Version: 1.0.0 (in progress)
Release: planned within the next week
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.13.14/0.13.15
Category: (Helper Mod)
Github: https://github.com/cybrox/zythum
Download: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/cybrox/zythum ("demo"!)

Granted, supporting EVERYTHING is a bit of an optimistic statement but the mod contains the tools needed to reach support for absolutely every mod out there.
My goal for this mod is to keep it open source and maybe even be a bit of a community project. - But I guess I will see if any developer is interested in directly working towards compability with this mod.

Originally, I didn't want to share this until it is completely finished (meaning all mod data included), but I figured it would be good to let people know, that a mod like this is built, even though it's not the first approach of someone to do this. However, all similar mods I've seen so far have either been abandoned or do more than just sorting, which bugs me, since I only want to have my Factorio tidy, no additional "balance" added or anything.

Zythum is a Factorio mod wrapper that will sort all your base game and modded items into more reasonable categories. The aim of this mod is to clean up the Factorio UI, especially the crafting and filtering menu, no matter what kind of mod you use for your current game. This mod was inspired by ZGroupChange, however, while ZGroupChange provides renaming for some famous mods and even adds some new items and technology, it highly depends on all of the supported core mods to be loaded. It will otherwise fail, hide items, or mess up your UI. Zythum will not add any research or items and will also not be dependent on any specific mods. It uses a completely different approach than ZGroupChange, meaning every single item will be assigned a group and not just batches of items from other mods. This way, the mod will not cause any weird behaviour with custom modpacks.

Current status: The mod core, graphics and the generators for automatically adding new mods are all done, I'm currently in the process of beginning to add more and more mods to the mod. Small mods will be really easy to add, bigger mod-groups will need some manual testing, since I want reasonable categories in the end.

Run it: You can build the mod via script/build.sh

Estimated release: We are currently going through all Factorio mods (497 by the time we fetched them), we're at about 100 internally, so it might take another few days until everything is added.

Maintaining: The mod is rather easy to maintain in the future. It contains a script that will automatically compare the its supported mods against the factorio modbase and show version differences. Since most mods rarely change their prototypes once they are released, the work load will be cut down drastically. I will add a script later on that will atuomatically compare new versions of a mod with the existing mod information and notify the maintainer about changes in prototypes

Pe334
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13] Zythum - Clean crafting UI with ANY mod!

Post by Pe334 »

I like the idear of a sorted UI and I like "dark" UI's but in my optinion some icons are too dark (roboport (3. icon), coal, weapon).
But I will give it a try ;)

Keep on working ...

cbrx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cbrx »

Thanks for the feedback. I have brightened up some of the icons in order to make the overall UI appearance more balanced.
I have indexed a lot of mods, most notably bob's and 5dim's modpacks, as well as a total of 404 /of all 512 mods.

Version 1.0.0 is now available for download on the mod portal!

Here's some screenshots, I think it turned out pretty awesome for modpacks, especially mixed packs.
screenshots v1.0.0 with 5dim+bobs

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

I like the dark background of the category buttons, but would prefer color glyphs. Also, could the category buttons be made a bit smaller?
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

cbrx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cbrx »

Just a quick update for anyone still interested in this - though the resonance is surprisingly low.
I would have expected more people to be annoyed by the cluttered modding UI, but I guess I was wrong on that assumption.

Anyways, version 1.0.2 was just released and now supports a total of 497 mods. (292 sorted and the rest partially/non-item sorted ones). With this version, all categories have been re-balanced in order to make more sense in game and also be easier and more intuitive to use.

I would consider version 1.0.2 to be a final one (for now, obviously there's still lots of mods to add and changes will come in the future) but I'm quite happy with how this turned out and how it manages to sort items no matter what weird combination of modpack I use to play.
@aubergine18 The items are now colored in order to fit in with partially sorted mods, they are still the same size though.

Any feedback is obviously still welcome :)

Pe334
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pe334 »

I use your mod and it works PERFECT :)
For any combination of mods I can quickly find the icons because now they have a fix position in the UI.

THX

Pe334
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pe334 »

Would it be possible to add Angle-Mods or a mecanism that unsupported mods go into a "dummy" category because I can't find Angel-Slag now and so I can't Setup a filter-inserter ;)

Thx

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

Well there goes 2 months of modding work down the drain

Redoneter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Redoneter »

I have a shortish list of mods that quite useful but aren't on the list of supported mods so that they may be checked and whatnot. You can also ignore this list if you feel eating pizza and being lazy. Barbed-Wire, Energy Replicators, Extend Vanilla Tech, Magmatic Processors, Power to Liquid, Quarry, Recycling Machines, Reverse Factory, Specialized Oil Refineries, and Speed Machines.

As for a new place for this mod, I suggest the Helper Mods or the Non-Game-Changing sections of the Mods for 0.12+ forums.

Return to “Mods”