[MOD 0.15.3] Pollution Damage 0.0.3

Topics and discussion about specific mods
featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.15.3] Pollution Damage 0.0.3

Post by featherwinglove »

Terry's first ever mod. ...and first ever forum post :lol: Causes damage to players in highly polluted areas and a motivation for being environmentally friendly in peaceful mode. Made in under four hours and code is just a control.lua smaller than MIT license file. I got it working just as I like so I'm going to play with it (i.e. play Factorio with it) hence not labeled WIP. But I put it in the WIP subforum 'cus it's probably not a very elegant/efficient/polite way to code such a mod. EvoGUI highly recommended to see how much pollution is in the chunk. It's supposed to do this:

Up to 1000 pollution, no damage. For each 100 points beyond that, does 1 point of damage per second and gives a chat message. I set up configuration variables at the top of control.lua so it should be easy to change these to taste.

0.0.2: Finally updated for 0.14.21 with damage type changed to acid (so armor reduces damage), and set up only to affect online players in multiplayer games (I have not tested this, only single player.)

0.0.3: Updated for 0.15.3.
Attachments
PollutionDamage_0.0.3.zip
New Factorio 0.15.3 version
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
PollutionDamage_0.0.2.zip
New Factorio 0.14.21 version
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
PollutionDamage_0.0.1.zip
Original Factorio 12.35 version
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Last edited by featherwinglove on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

MiniMe943
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.35+] Pollution Damage 0.0.1

Post by MiniMe943 »

An interesting mod, but this would be the death of me. My highest pollution area is sitting around 7000.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

In the game before I made this mod, I was playing as if I had it, using EvoGUI to detect and stay out of >1000PU areas. It led to some very interesting tactics, such as a walled power pole in a "clean" area that I could remove as a kill switch to power down areas that I needed to get into, generally the mines and oil fields. It lead to heavy automation of mining back ends, which is a challenge in Mojo Resource Processing (whose starting burner assembler generates 245PU/sec, vs. the burner drill's "mere" 10, it can literally kill you even without this mod because it will instantly agro every bug within four chunks, plus it's very hard on fuel. Got no choice 'cus Mojo disables hand crafting. If I treat 0.13 hand crafting the same way I treat this smoking heap of assembly machine, I should have no problem getting the new minimum hand crafting achievement.) The unfortunate downside to that game just before I made this mod ...is that one of my other (installed) mods lacked migration and I had to start over. Bummer.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Maybe not a good fit for a productivity megabase.
PollutionValue.png
PollutionValue.png (619.62 KiB) Viewed 10157 times
5k damage/second.

;)

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.21] Pollution Damage 0.0.2

I guess I need to do a bit more than update the OP to bump the thread :?:

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.3] Pollution Damage 0.0.3

I'd like to key the pollution damage effect to the difficulty selection for tree damage if possible. Does anyone know how to do this? If you could point me to a mod API document page that I missed, that would be ideal.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Would you put this in the mod portal?
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I'd love to, but I can't!

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

That sucks, well I'll get it from here then.

It should work though since there are several mods without pictures.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

Does the mod only damage players or will it kill the local fauna as well?

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

No, for now it only damages players. Much of the challenge of the Badlands modpack for which it was designed (back in 0.12.35) comes from pollution attracting biters, and I need to expand quite a bit before pollution damage becomes more of a problem than alien attacks. By the time I do, the biters almost always find something to attack (usually radars or some logistics item) or be attacked by (turrets) before they get close enough to the pollution source to take any damage. So even if implemented, they would almost never take pollution damage. There's another problem: big biters and beyond (Bob's Enemies included) would last far longer in an inaccessible mining outpost than I would, and I would still be stuck watching helplessly if they got through my defenses before I cut the power to the miners.

Also, that would probably undo peaceful mode, as the moment a biter in a hive started taking damage from pollution, it is quite likely that the entire garrison would rush you. That might not happen if they fail to recognize the force the damage is coming from, but I really don't know. Besides, it makes too much sense to set the damage force properly to make sure that they do this.

Return to “Mods”