Topics and discussion about specific mods
mathranger101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[MOD 0.15] Barbed-Wire

Post by mathranger101 »

Type: Mod
Name: Barbed-Wire
Description: Adds barbed-wire, a defensive structure that harms enemies that walk on it.
License: MIT
Version: 0.3.2
Release: 2016-9-23
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.15.x
Category: Item
Tags: Defense
Download-Url: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/MatheFac ... /downloads
Long description
Pictures
Version history
This is also my first mod, so any feedback would be good! :D
Last edited by mathranger101 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 14 times in total.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Barbed-Wire

Post by hitzu »

For balance purposes it also has to deal damage to the player :D

mathranger101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mathranger101 »

Thank you for the feedback! I originally had that as part of my mod, but through the development I decided to drop it for optimization purposes, but now I've found a way that is (I hope) efficient.

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

I believe using the wall prototype for the barbed wires would allow you to have them link together, so that the graphics can link. I think it'd make this mod look a lot cooler, but it would be quite demanding from the graphics point of view.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

mathranger101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mathranger101 »

SuicidalKid wrote:I believe using the wall prototype for the barbed wires would allow you to have them link together, so that the graphics can link. I think it'd make this mod look a lot cooler, but it would be quite demanding from the graphics point of view.
I might be remembering wrong, but I believe I tried that at some point, but if you placed them next to stone-walls (where they are likely to be), the stone-walls would jut out and make an ugly looking connection. I'd suppose the same is true for pipes. If I really wanted to, I could occasionally check for neighboring barbed-wires and do some crazy stuff with car directions or somethings, but I fear that that would take up too much processing.

mathranger101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mathranger101 »

Hello everyone.

I know it's been 4 months since I last updated this mod, and I left it with a bunch of FPS issues and bugs. I was working on fixes for these things, but eventually I just got tired. But now after a long break I believe I've managed to fix a lot of the problems. But enough of my life story, here's what I changed:

I added new type: Conductive. This kind of wire can be charged to deal extra damage. This means non-conductive barbed-wire cannot be charged. This was added so that wires that won't be charged don't constantly have the "Needs Power" warning. How I handled this in the older versions led to a lot of the FPS issues, so this was the best solution I could think of.

Another thing I changed is how barbed-wire damages the player. Originally I had a "Hazard" wire, a wire that attacked anything, along with the regular wire. However, this led to more FPS problems, since the two were constantly attacking each other. I fixed this by occasionally checking all players' positions and checking if a wire is under them. This potentially causes problems on mass-multiplayer, but I haven't tested it.

There are a bunch of other minor things, like recipe or research changes.

Again, sorry that it has been quite a while since I updated this. I hope you all enjoy the now (hopefully) fixed mod.

Return to “Mods”