Topics and discussion about specific mods
raid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.13.x] Double Furnace

Post by raid »

Type: Mod
Name: Double Furnace
Description: A double furnace smelts iron ore directly to steel plates.
Version: 0.1.5
Initial Release: 2015-12-17
Tested-With-Factorio-Versions: 0.12.35 / 0.13.15
Category: Convenience
Tags: Buildings, Manufacturing

0.13 Website: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/raid/DoubleFurnace
0.13 Download-URL: https://mods.factorio.com/api/downloads ... _0.1.5.zip

0.12 Download-Url: http://s3.amazonaws.com/factoriomods/mo ... 1461633746
0.12 Website: http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/double-furnace
Long description
Pictures
Last edited by raid on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ixpellia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Double Furnace

Post by Ixpellia »

Thanks for updating the mod! Although after updating to version 0.1.3, I immediately ran into a problem.

It now does indeed smelts Copper Ore and Stone as a normal furnace would, but along with that it no longer smelts Iron Ore into Steel Plates and instead smelts it into Iron Plates.
This practically makes it an Electric Furnace with less health and more energy consumption.
I've tested it with both an already existing save and a new game in sandbox mode.

I've been somewhat bothered by how Steel is smelted (speed and ingredients) as both smelting Iron Plates for using them to craft things and smelting Iron Plates into Steel Plates in the same base would just either get you very little Steel income, or your Steel production would be so big it would just eat up all your Iron Plates at a very fast rate.

The easiest solution would be to have your Steel production based somewhere out of your main base, but I preferred a different solution.
In certain situations I'd end up with so many drills that the transport belts would just get clogged and since the process of Steel took so long, smelting Iron Ore directly into Steel (or doing 2 processes in quick succession) would be a great solution.
Unfortunately the Double Furnace had a very slow crafting speed in the previous version so I was happy it got updated.

I was unsure if someone had already notified you but since there was no reply in this thread yet I figured I could do it instead.
Sorry for the rant, but I hope this helped you out and I hope to see it fixed soon!

(Unless I was mistaken and some other mod is now interfering with its smelt process, in which case I'd like to apologize for making a useless post).

Edit: Actually I figured I'd look around the lua files even tho I don't have any real experience with it.
Switching around "smelting" and "double-smelting" (line 28) in the entity.lua seems to have fixed the problem as it now prioritzes smelting Steel Plates over Iron Plates.

raid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by raid »

Dang it, you're absolutely right, I didn't think of this :/
The problem is that the furnace doesn't know which recipe to use, because there is no selection screen, so it picks the normal ore -> iron plate recipe.
Need to remove the normal smelting again, should be fixed now

Apparently, if double-smelting is the first one, then it can also perform smelting of copper and stone like a normal furnace; but iron ore can only be smelted to iron.
I just removed the normal smelting again because it doesnt make a lot of sense anyway ^^

Ixpellia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ixpellia »

Glad to be of help, and I suppose you're right about normal smelting not making sense.
After all the furnace would be too busy with smelting Steel most of the time anyway.

Keep up the good work!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Create a new recipe category and add doule smelting recipe to it.
Make new furnace be able to use this category to use that recipe.

I don't see any way currently to make 1 furnace that would somehow select between smelt ore to iron or steel places.

ALternatively you could make it from assembling machine prototype and then user needs to select recipe - can have both of them then.

dtoxic
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dtoxic »

Any chance of an update for 13.9? :)

DUMBHA
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DUMBHA »

I second the above wish^
Though a simple I'm done with the mod have someone else update it would also suffice if that's the case.

Sunnova
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sunnova »

Only changed needed is adding "factorio_version": "0.13", to the info.json file, it's been working just fine for me.

Code: Select all

{
  "name": "DoubleFurnace",
  "version": "0.1.4",
  "factorio_version": "0.13",
  "title": "Double Furnace",
  "author": "raid",
  "contact": "mod@hackmate.de",
  "homepage": "http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/double-furnace",
  "dependencies": ["base >= 0.12.17"],
  "description": "Mod that adds a Double Furnace to Factorio. A double furnace smelts iron ore directly to steel plates."
}

DUMBHA
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DUMBHA »

Alright thanks :D

raid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by raid »

Alright, sorry for not updating this earlier, I didn't have a chance to check out Factorio 0.13 until now, lot's of exams and so on...
Anyway, it's now also on the new official Mod Portal https://mods.factorio.com/mods/raid/DoubleFurnace
Have fun

Return to “Mods”